Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

World Cup 2026

World Cup FIFA football sport

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts
  • LocationLondon

World Cup 2026: Canada, US & Mexico joint bid wins right to host tournament

A joint bid from the United States, Canada and Mexico has won the right to host the 2026 Fifa World Cup, beating a bid from Morocco.

https://www.bbc.co.u...otball/44464913

• Maximus likes this

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationCanada

My god, I've been waiting for this news since I was a little kid watching the 2006 World Cup. Now that it's here, my newly instated provincial government (BC) has decided to pull its pants down and sh*t all over this parade:

Vancouver will be on the sidelines for the 2026 World Cup

The 2026 World Cup is coming to Canada, FIFA announced today — but Vancouver will be watching from the sidelines.

That's because B.C.'s NDP government decided not to support the city's efforts to be part of the bid involving cities across Canada, U.S. and Mexico, citing concerns over the possible costs of being a host.

In March, Tourism Minister Lisa Beare said the province didn't agree with the terms to host World Cup games put forward by the committee for the joint North American bid.

One of the first to criticize that decision on Wednesday morning was B.C. Liberal MLA Michelle Stillwell, who said that the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup and the 2010 Winter Olympics have shown that international sporting events have provided benefits for B.C.

Are you serious? Vancouver is a world-class city which has hosted such events many times before. We have a nice, shiny, newly renovated stadium (below) with a capacity of 55,000 and an MLS team with a pretty huge and passionate fanbase. It's not like we have to build everything from the ground up like Qatar. I mean, this is the FIFA World Cup we're talking about, by far the most watched sporting event in the world with an average of 3.2 billion viewers for the past two world cups.. Bringing it here would obviously attract huge amounts of tourism and benefit local businesses. Of course though, what else could you expect from these NDP morons. 

bc-place-stadium-northern-lights-false-c

• wjfox and Yuli Ban like this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,980 posts

I guess whoever hosts the World Cup will be expected to allow alcohol to be sold.

Alcoholic drinks are part of the FIFA World Cup

https://www.motherjo...occer-violence/

Introduction:

(Mother Jones) Russia has a serious problem with booze. It’s so bad that Russian men have one of the lowest life expectancies in the world—lower even than their counterparts in famine-plagued North Korea. Male Russian drinkers consume 32 liters of ethanol per year, almost twice as much as American men. That’s the equivalent of a mind-boggling 80 liters of typical Russian vodka. More than one-third of Russian men are estimated to have a drinking problem and fully 16 percent are alcoholics. Some 40,000 Russians die each year from alcohol poisoning.

These statistics have driven Russia to take significant steps in recent years—again—to combat what former president Dmitri A. Medvedev once called a “national disaster.” In 2005, the government banned alcohol sales and ads at sports stadiums, a move that made the Sochi Olympics a mostly dry affair. In 2012, Russia implemented a complete ban on alcohol advertising on TV and radio, online and print media. But soccer fans showing up for World Cup matches this week will be able to drink all the beer they want at the stadiums—as long as they buy it from Budweiser’s parent company, ABInBev.

That’s because the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), the scandal-plagued governing body for international soccer, insisted that Russia temporarily repeal its sports-alcohol ban as a condition of hosting the World Cup. Russia complied; in 2013, President Vladimir Putin signed legislation overturning the ban on stadium sales for the month of the games. The law allows FIFA and its sponsors to sell beer at the soccer events, where AbInBev, one of FIFA’s largest sponsors, has exclusive sales rights. Russia also relaxed the ban on beer advertising through 2019 to accommodate World Cup sponsors.

This isn’t the first time FIFA has demanded that a host country relax its alcohol regulations. “Alcoholic drinks are part of the FIFA World Cup, so we’re going to have them. Excuse me if I sound a bit arrogant, but that’s something we won’t negotiate,” FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke said in 2012. “The fact that we have the right to sell beer has to be a part of the law.”

russian-soccer-hooligans-061420181.jpg?w

Russian football supporters attack a rival fan at a Euro 2016 match between England and Russia in Marseille, France. 

Thanassis Stavrakis/AP Photo

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: World Cup, FIFA, football, sport

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users