Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The most "sophisticated" software ever made

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

See the top post here, which claims it is the Stuxnet Virus:

https://www.quora.co...de-ever-written

I had no idea it was that complex.

• Yuli Ban, Erowind and BasilBerylium like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,416 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I remember gushing about Stuxnet to my history teacher at the time, saying that it was like malware from the 2040s sent back in time to 2010 to deliberately crush Iran's nuclear program. She was actually the one who brought it up to the class because she thought it was worth mentioning, and while I'm not quite sure how into futurism she was, I know that she recognized how crazy it was as well. 

What terrified me then as it does now is that we still don't precisely know who created it, though all signs point to Israel. In which case, you have to ask yourself "if this is what we were able to accomplish in 2005-2007, what on Earth are the programmers able to do today?"

The only reason we even discovered Stuxnet at all is because of a minor programming accident as a result of an update. It's almost certain that there are superior versions of it running right now, utterly incapable of being found. It's even possible that the Israelis, Americans, and Chinese have all but wired the entire digital infrastructure of the world with a web of super-Stuxnets akin to nuclear MAD and that, should hostilities ever break out, this black network would instantly paralyze digital technology worldwide and cause trillions in damages.

Another interesting quirk is that we tried using Stuxnet against North Korea, but failed because they literally don't have the technological infrastructure to let it work.

• Maximus, Jakob, Erowind and 2 others like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

I think it's believed the U.S. also had substantial input into its creation.

Future versions may use some kinds of AI technologies -- e.g. chatbots that engage in "social engineering". 

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,986 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I'm a little unsettled by the thought the Russians and Chinese might have already developed something like this and sneaked one or two into the US electric grid infrastructure to be awakened by some unknown trigger.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts

The most "sophisticated" software ever made

I thought the honor would go to my implementation of malloclab.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users