Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Electric Cars

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Wow I can't believe this, I sat for 10 minutes writing this post and then my browser (chrome) crashed..I'll retype it

2012 will be the year of the electric car. I don't really believe that everyone will be able to afford one or that it will become mainstream. What I do believe will happen is seeing the start of some true and commercially available solutions to problems that have been holding back the electric car.

NOTES
  • 1 gallon of gasoline=33.7
  • kw-hr kw-hrs/100 miles
  • Miles driven per year are set at 15,000 for annual fuel cost calculations
http://www.thedailyg...102201#fbIndex2 <-Interesting link
http://www.fuelecono...on=sbs&id=32278 <- $39,200 Car, 110mpg city, 99 highway, annual cost $600
http://www.fuelecono...on=sbs&id=31673 <- $29,125 - $31,125, 126mpg city, 99 highway, annual cost $550
http://www.teslamoto...es#/performance <- Model S, electric car 0-60mph in 5.6 seconds with a top speed of 125mph
http://www.mlive.com...w_technolo.html <- No Technicalities, explains mainstream adaption
http://www.ktvu.com/...instream/nJJQD/ <On charging, most occurs at home, future holds public stations
http://carstations.com/ <- A map of some charging stations around the world

So this is all I have dug up out of the internet in the past 20 minutes or so. I really do think the electric car will start to see a rise. With gas prices that are undoubtedly going to soar near or over $4.00 for the cheapest this summer, people will start to see some financial problems with gas cars. The average price of a used car is about $2000 - $10,000 and the average price for a new car is about $29,217.

People will begin to see real alternatives to the gas-raping tanks we drive now. Hybrids? Electric? Gas? Bio-fuel? Your choice, but no matter how wealthy you are, in time, gas will be to expensive to use or outdated.

Google's self-driving cars have been on the road since 2010 , with the only crash out of these cars in 2 years from a human driver (much much safer than people statistically), the future of cars will be driverless and electric.

The first cars to go driverless will probably be shipping trucks, then public and taxis (in that order more or less). Of course it all starts with 2012 and you can bet the next 20 years will show some huge leaps in transportation, maybe driverless cars will only do their thing on highways eliminating humans from them and allowing speeds of over 120mph, all within the next 20 years.

What do you think?

Edited by SG-1, 17 March 2012 - 03:36 PM.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

stevo

stevo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN
The 2 dominant fuels in the future will be electric and biomethane

Elen

Elen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Can you articulate your reasons? I'm curious why do you think the methane will be used as fuel?

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
There is a lot of methane and its really cheap. The thing is, when one fuel becomes the new standard, it will become more expensive. These oil companies and gas stations charge more than what they need to get a huge profit and who is to say that electricity or methane will always be cheap? I don't like the idea of using methane though because it will have CO2 emissions and is limited in supply. Electricity gets cleaner and cleaner as the grid gets better, plus the ability to be generated by renewable resources.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Elen

Elen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I asked him because I wonder if he means biomethane will be used for its by-products(so to speak) or he actually thinks he can use methane in his car. I like Atlantis better than SG-1 btw :p

H3llion

H3llion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUnder your Desk

There is a lot of methane and its really cheap. The thing is, when one fuel becomes the new standard, it will become more expensive.
These oil companies and gas stations charge more than what they need to get a huge profit and who is to say that electricity or methane will always be cheap?

I don't like the idea of using methane though because it will have CO2 emissions and is limited in supply. Electricity gets cleaner and cleaner as the grid gets better, plus the ability to be generated by renewable resources.

Well renewable Electricity through (solar, wind etc...) can be easier to harness rather then through Crude Oil/Gas process which is more expensive and finite. I believe we will see price drops in the electricity due to Solar Power, Fusion and other sources. Solar Power has had radical development for past few years, its getting better and better. So hence why I see that the fuel for vehicles will be rather cheap or at least cheaper then its current state in near future. Eventually we will all most likely harness our own Electricity and fuel our cars at home, most likely cars will have their own generators so they generate while on the move.

Yeah but I also don't like the sound of methane because of the same reasons.

Solar, Geothermal, Fusion, Wind & (other) sources are big players and you can harness ALOT of it, just the development would have to be concentrated on that to get the best conversation. IE. The better the Solar tech. is the more power it would generate.

Also with the advancements in Solar we will see many households being sustained on their own, meaning cheaper electricity bills.

Edited by iCFX, 30 March 2012 - 11:06 AM.

shane_allen

shane_allen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMinnesotta
I don't own a car now because I live so close to campus. When I graduate in 2 years, I hope to afford a loan on a hybrid. After that (5 years?) I should be able to get a full electric.

Check out /r/futuretimeline and voice you opinion on when various technologies will emerge.

stevo

stevo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i believe in Biomethane because it can be used for more then fuel It can also be used as heat and can be made from decaying garbage, human and animal waste it also burns cleaner then gas and can be even cleaner then traditional natural gas from the ground

stevo

stevo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
BTW, i'm not talking about using it as a power generator, i am thinking more of it as a car fuel

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts
  • LocationLake Wanaka, New Zealand, 2025 C.E.
Electric cars 'pose environmental threat'

Electric cars might pollute much more than petrol or diesel-powered cars, according to new research.

The Norwegian University of Science and Technology study found greenhouse gas emissions rose dramatically if coal was used to produce the electricity.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-19830232

If this is true, we would have to find better ways to use it and get better Electric Cars.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

hellgorama

hellgorama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
folks, first lets change the power grid and how energy is produced. Then lets talk electric cars. The above post is true. Each electric car plugged in consumes electricity from the power grid. That is a MASSIVE load if we choose to power transportation with the power grid. All that electricity has to come from somewhere and most of it comes from fossil fuel fired power plants.

H3llion

H3llion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUnder your Desk
I want this, oh my so sexy! (I don't think that is a car but it could well be). Black windows only see through one side, with nice futuristic head/break lights and wheels either tucked in, on the side of the car or preferably a hover car! :p

Posted Image

I don't have a car yet, 18 and still need a driving license but I swear my first car is going to be an electric car.

Edited by H3llion, 05 October 2012 - 10:20 PM.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I want this, oh my so sexy! (I don't think that is a car but it could well be). Black windows only see through one side, with nice futuristic head/break lights and wheels either tucked in, on the side of the car or preferably a hover car! :p

Posted Image

I don't have a car yet, 18 and still need a driving license but I swear my first car is going to be an electric car.

At first glance, I thought it was a mouse, you know, for the keyboard.
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,226 posts
  • LocationLake Wanaka, New Zealand, 2025 C.E.

NYC looks at electric vehicle charging

Posted Image

New York (UPI) Feb 14, 2013 - New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg says he wants 10,000 charging stations for electric vehicles across the city by 2019.

Bloomberg made the comment in his State of the City address Thursday, and said he would ask the city council to require landlords to equip at least 20 percent of new parking spaces with chargers for electric vehicles, Slash Gear reported.

New York City currently boasts 100 public charging stations, and 120 additional stations reserved for the city's own fleet of electric vehicles.

If New York proceeds with the plan, it would join other major cities such as San Francisco in adding charging stations to metropolitan areas.

Under Bloomberg's proposal, New York City would also conduct testing of new curbside charging technologies that could recharge a vehicle's batteries in as little time as 30 minutes, instead of the current several hours it normally takes.

"(We'll) make New York City a national leader in electric vehicles," Bloomberg said.

From http://www.spacedail...arging_999.html

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users