There's a peculiar phenomenon that occurs when people accidentally go to sleep while still wearing VR headsets. When they wake up, their minds do not fully register that they are still in a virtual environment, leading them to believe that everything around them is real!
- Where am I? Waking up in Virtual Reality
- Fell asleep watching a movie in bigscreen
- Tell me your experiences with falling asleep/waking up in VR
- I'm falling asleep in VR tonight!
- Falling asleep with the VR headset on is the weirdest experience.
- TIFU by falling asleep wearing VR headset, breaking my monitor, and making my parents think I'm dying.
- I fell asleep and then woke up in Apollo 11
For a brief moment, virtual reality becomes your reality. But for right now, the only way to achieve this effect is to go to sleep and wake up in a virtual world. It's an interesting little shortcut.
My favorite comment:
My first one was in Elite: Dangerous on the Oculus DK2. I played for about 5 hours and got really tired, decided to shut all systems off except life support and fell asleep. I woke up a while later to find my ship had spun around to face the nearest star, and I awoke to a massive sunrise. I was totally absorbed for a little bit, not sure if it was a lucid dream or something, before I looked down and saw my lifeless in-game body.
For exploration games, I could see it being very peacefull to sleep/wake in some environments. I may try it with Minecraft soon.