Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Anti aging thread

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
Researchers Solve Anti-aging Mystery – Identify Gene Responsible for Cellular Aging

By AlphaMed Press November 30, 2020

Cellular reprogramming can reverse the aging that leads to a decline in the activities and functions of mesenchymal stem/stromal cells (MSCs). This is something that scientists have known for a while. But what they had not figured out is which molecular mechanisms are responsible for this reversal. A study released today in STEM CELLS appears to have solved this mystery. It not only enhances the knowledge of MSC aging and associated diseases, but also provides insight into developing pharmacological strategies to reduce or reverse the aging process.

The research team, made up of scientists at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, relied on cellular reprogramming — a commonly used approach to reverse cell aging — to establish a genetically identical young and old cell model for this study. “While agreeing with previous findings in MSC rejuvenation by cellular reprogramming, our study goes further to provide insight into how reprogrammed MSCs are regulated molecularly to ameliorate the cellular hallmarks of aging,” explained lead investigator, Wan-Ju Li, Ph.D., a faculty member in the Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation and the Department of Biomedical Engineering.

https://scitechdaily...cellular-aging/

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • 2,842 posts
Blocking protein restores strength, endurance in old mice, study finds

by Stanford University Medical Center

Blocking the activity of a single protein in old mice for one month restores mass and strength to the animals' withered muscles and helps them run longer on a treadmill, according to a study by researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine. Conversely, increasing the expression of the protein in young mice causes their muscles to atrophy and weaken.

"The improvement is really quite dramatic" said Helen Blau, Ph.D., professor of microbiology and immunology. "The old mice are about 15% to 20% stronger after one month of treatment, and their muscle fibers look like young muscle. Considering that humans lose about 10% of muscle strength per decade after about age 50, this is quite remarkable."

The protein hasn't previously been implicated in aging. The researchers show that the amount of the protein, called 15-PGDH, is elevated in old muscle and is widely expressed in other old tissues. Experiments they conducted in human tissue raise hopes for a future treatment for the muscle weakness that occurs as people age.

https://medicalxpres...ength-mice.html

Bubble99

Bubble99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Fact or myth. Is anti aging real and people will live longer in the future. Will there be a big cure where everyone rich and poor will benefit or is everyone going to die eventually. I started this thread for everyones opinion.

I think people may live other 20 years at the most but unless you under the age of 16 you probably not going to live to your 150 birth day.

It will probably be other 100 years or more before science will improve live by other 60 years or more.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • 2,263 posts
When people think of aging, they immediately think it must be due to large number of complicated interactions, that are impossible to fix. Big things have big causes. However, sometimes that isn't so. One example is the cause of economic downturns that can cripple an economy the size of the U.S.'s. Krugman says in this video that Keynes said the small causes are like a "magneto problem" when you have car trouble, just a small technical thing that can be fixed by simply getting people to spend a little more:

aducknamedjoe

aducknamedjoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

When people think of aging, they immediately think it must be due to large number of complicated interactions, that are impossible to fix. Big things have big causes. However, sometimes that isn't so. One example is the cause of economic downturns that can cripple an economy the size of the U.S.'s. Krugman says in this video that Keynes said the small causes are like a "magneto problem" when you have car trouble, just a small technical thing that can be fixed by simply getting people to spend a little more:

I think Sinclair is in this camp; in Lifespan he essentially says small epigenetic changes (possibly like DNA methylation) are what cause aging. His results in regrowing mouse retinal tissue are persuasive.

Also, I just did a bunch of research into exciting stuff like blood albumin levels to figure out what biomarkers to track. I came up with these 20, but any you would add/take away? (9 of them were mostly included to be able to use Morgan Levine's biological age calculator): https://www.longevit...ing-biomarkers/

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationLondon

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

Autophagey can be triggered by fasting or fasting mimicing diets, I'm curious to know if something like the Wim Hof breathing exercises might be able to replicate some of the effects of the oxygen therapies mentioned. throw some supplements in there and it feels like it might be viable to give a person more healthy life span, at least enough that some of us older folks on the forums could be around long enough to take advantage of new drugs and therapies as they come in the next few decades.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,214 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I do wonder sometimes about whether the desire to live more than 120 years is a vain immaturity. Or if the idea of death being the destiny of all people is a vapid cluelessness about the course of humanity.

Do we seek to live longer because our experience of the world requires and experiencer to contemplate it, and we have never experienced a time or place where we were not the experiencer. Our brains and psyches flinching away from the idea of an end to our experiences. I mean intellectually we know the world predates us, and in many ways we also understand intellectually that the universe will exist after we no longer do. But the idea of not existing can trigger the anxiety of 'being made to not exist'. So we resist the idea, and invent things like immortal souls, and uploading minds into machines and science that will find a way that we won't die, because we really cannot fathom not existing. We grasp that a world can exist in which we don't exist but we still can't quite come to terms with the idea of an end to our existence and how we won't know it, or understand it or regret it or wistfully long for a time when we did exist. We will simply exist temporarily in a time stream and never again. Just like there will never be another April 3 2021 where the things that happened and the weather will never exist again. It's transition from an experience to an abstraction completed, it will never exist again. and we cannot fathom that happening to us, any more than we can imagine a fourth or fifth primary color. We lack the contextual foundations to really grasp our own inevitable transition from experiencing existance, to an abstract consept left behind and anchored to a day that no longer exists.

or are we so simple in the head that we've missed the simple notion that death is a filter we can not only get beyond, but that selection pressures have been driving us toward for all of history. Like life was driven from single cellular forms to eventually multi-cellular, and gradually making our way from the seas to the land, and someday making a similar trip from the small spherical ocean of air to building complex stellar ecosystems around our sun that would go from mostly barren to teaming with life. Maybe we struggle so much with the idea because we are so used to a timeline of human existence that measures life in years, a concept of self that implies you have progressed from on stage to the next, as though there is a determined set of steps and as long as a step is in front of you, you don't think that the program has an end until like the mad man doing the same steps over and over we are still surprised when the same conclusion is reached as everybody who has run the same system before us found. But we don't have any idea what steps to follow but those ones that have been set for us before.

Maybe we struggle so much because we cannot fathom the possibility that we have lived entirely as maggots, living and dieing, and nobody has quite figured out how to pupate just yet. Like the first life to scramble out of the oceans, there is no script for what that looks like, and maybe we won't all take the same paths to get there and won't be the same creatures on the other side. There will probably be millions of floundering steps and confusion as only a few get through to the other side and even fewer make it long enough to establish a sense of what they have become, and when they do get there they will be as different from us as flies are to maggots. And what will be the existance of the immortal ones, what will be the paths that lay on the other side of that great filter. Whatever it is it is so unfathomable that our minds pull back from it and take instead the clearer paths that are easier for us to understand. See, here is the next step I need to take. It's as samiliar as the last step I took and it keeps me in line with what we all understand. Yes if I really think about it it also leads off a cliff at the far end, but I'm not gonna worry about that just yet, that's far down the line and there's so much between here and there that .... waves vaguely, something something... next step on the way. Like a smoker that knows smoking is bad for the body they live in, but it's not amediately bad for them like pressing the lit end into their open eyeball would be, but rather in that long term thinking, where your future self faces the consequences of the choices you made in the now kind of way.

I'm not sure which is the case, or if neither is, or both.

All I really know is that I am a great distance into a life that seems too short by far, and seems not to have enough space in it right now to contain the living I wish to do with it. And the way we use the days of our lives culturally feels like how we treat labor and wage workers. The company gets a dollar and pays me a dime... Society gets my day and pays me a minute (pretty sure mathmatically that metaphor comes out to a human lifetime of 19 days). And it all feels like it's because some people made up the rules to work that way, and there really isn't any evidences that we can't just decide to play by different rules. 

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • 2,842 posts

Has there been any serious advancements in human anti-aging over the past 6 months? I tuned out for a while. Any human test?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,507 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Has there been any serious advancements in human anti-aging over the past 6 months? I tuned out for a while. Any human test?

https://www.lifespan...nation-roadmap/

What are you without the sum of your parts?

backtothefuture30

backtothefuture30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Watching the link you shared, I’m not so sure if this could be considered a serious advancement in human anti-aging.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,507 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Watching the link you shared, I’m not so sure if this could be considered a serious advancement in human anti-aging.

If there is a serious advancement with respect to anti-aging, this website will be among the first to show it. 

Did you even bother to look at the News tab in the website?

What are you without the sum of your parts?

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,214 posts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users