Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to stop spammers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Future historian

Future historian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Not sure how hard this would be to implement.  why not make the first few posts someone makes have to be approved by a admin

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Captcha.

• As We Rise likes this

This website has a magic that makes people draw back here like moths to light.

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Not sure how hard this would be to implement.  why not make the first few posts someone makes have to be approved by a admin

or maybe set the number of post they can make within their first 100 at maybe 5 per hour.

Or increase the time between post to 30 second or even a minute...

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,612 posts
  • LocationLondon

I've no idea how to fix this using our current software. Hopefully the new forum will be easier to customise. I've had some previous experience with vBulletin and I know it was generally quite good at controlling spam.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
The Asian spam bots will probably be immortalized, when I restarted the mirror with a better connection it happened to be right as the spambot attacked again. It might not be the case though, there were a few minutes between me hitting the launch button and refreshing the homepage. I would have waited for some mods to clean up but it was around 2am by that point. At first this dissapointed me, but I think spam bots are part of the experience of using web 1.0 sites in 2018 and future generations will probably be baffled by them. The decay of the old internet is part of history, and if we happen to document that all the better.
  • BasilBerylium likes this

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

^

1.0?

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

^

1.0?

I just realized how malleable that term is, apologies. To me web 1.0 always meant the pre-social media internet. Before the rise and mass proliferation of social media hubs like reddit, youtube and Facebook the web was more decentralized and open. It was also more static in regards to user content, web 1.0 sites often were very specialized around one particular thing. Web 2.0 sites on the hand is more centralized and user content is much more dynamic and homogenized. Where there used to be a forum for ever topic under the sun, reddit and sites like it have killed countless thousands and possibly millions of them by homogenizing that experience into one centralized platform, an extremely interactive and dynamic platform, but still a centralized one.

After googleing (google is another example of homogenization, when was the last time you used multiple search engines?) the term I learned that most experts consider the divide to between static and non-static websites. Where old static web 1.0 sites had no user-generated content and new non-static 2.0 sites enable users to generate content and influence/change websites.

Now the fun bit, even though my definition isn't the one most people use I still think it applies. Web 1.0 and web 2.0 didn't happen over night. What I observed growing up I think refers to what could be called web 1.5. Where forums like this one represent a middle ground between these two forms of the internet. This forum is static and decentralized in the regard that Wjfox owns it independent of homogonized services like facebook, and still hosts a large amount of content that is not user-generated but generated by Wjfox himself. At the same time it hosts a lot of user-content but is not entirely dynamic in the way social media is. Where dynamism is the effect the site has on the internet/society as a whole and vice-versa, where its user content evolves with internet/mass culture and also influences both of those things majorly. Whereas user content on FTN is largely independent in how much influence the content here holds over society. If Facebook dies for example, or a paradigm shift in thought takes place there, the world changes in some way. Vice versa if part of society is destroyed or experiences a paradigm shift it majorly affects Facebook. If major changes take place on FTN though, nothing happens to society, or at least any effect that does take place is so minute to the point of irrelevance outside of the most exceptional circumstance. Which, despite FTN hosting user content is an element of decentralization. When one node fails or changes, the rest of the nodes in the network putter on largely without care.

The next question that comes to mind at this point is, what's next? What does web 3.0 look like? Personally I see the vast majority of centralized services dying terrible deaths, some will be quick and fiery and others will be slow and agonizing. The future of the web is even more decentralized than before. Most people think of cryptocurrency as just effecting the financial technology industry, but the underlying protocals found there will change our society as a whole even outside of currency based economics. Protocals like ethereum and future iterations of them are laying the groundwork for a web where all user content is decentralized and immutable. (Immutable means that it's uncensorable and always accessible to its intended audience.) Where the decentralization of the old internet returns with even greater vigor. At the same time the level of interaction we have with the web and the user content generated on it will continue to expand. Web 1.0 allowed decentralization and static content. Web 2.0 demanded centralization but provided platforms for mass user content generation. In turn, web 2.0 also created platforms for mass social manipulation and censorship/destruction of cultural development. With homogenization of culture came the death of democracy as we knew it in the past century. (Web 2.0 made the rigging of the 2016 US presidential election through Cambridge Analytica's actions possible for example. That same level of cultural manipulation with so few resources [proportionally to what Analytica accomplished that is, they rigged the election of the greatest economic superpower in human history with less than 20 million dollars, remarkable] is impossible under web 1.0) I'm just speculating here, but I think historians will start to piece together how much web 2.0 helped to utterly **** our society as time goes on.

Web 3.0 takes the two best qualities of past models and combines them. Web 3.0 brings back decentralization while encouraging mass generation of user content. What does that mean? Again speculation here, but with decentralization comes incredible individual liberty and resilience. Decentralization of something gives it true sovereignty over itself. At the same time mass user content creates a platform for culture to develop unmolested, and in the information era at an increasingly fast pace. I can't say where that development takes our society, but at the very least no one will be able to wholly control it. Our culture as a species will be in constant unalterable motion no matter what any plutocrat or corrupt state desires. We will be at mercy of the collective mind of humanity. This is will be the first time in human history that the ability to control or attack cultural development will wholly be impossible for a small class of people to accomplish, power over culture while not always equal in this new world, will at the very least be more distributed. The anarchism of the old internet is coming back, and I hope it will one day this anarchization of the digital world will start bleeding into the physical. This isn't the primary reason for my belief that humanity will become anarchic one day, but it is a major element.

To answer an immediate question without elaborating too much because that would take another post entirely. The reason web 3.0 wins out in a capitalist economy is because the protocals being developed will lower expense margins of countless elements of internet infrastructure drastically. Decentralized server hosting will be more secure and cut costs upwards of 40% for users, whether those users be companies or consumers. These new protocals will eventually destroy the monopolies server hosting companies like Amazon currently have because when complete they will be more profitable to use and technically superior. That same effect will take place throughout nearly every facet of internet based technologies and many information age technologies such as supercomputing. The profit motive in the end will lead to the destruction of the same forces that so desire it in due time, at least in regard to information tech.

• caltrek and BasilBerylium like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,612 posts
  • LocationLondon

The spam problem is now totally fixed.

• Yuli Ban and BasilBerylium like this

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts

“Buy war bonds! Buy our veterans’ thoughts! Vote Voxel Marineris for mayor of Amalthea! Buy Poul Coder’s dick-enhancing gene kit! Buy--”

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

DCD.jpg?4623

CAN ALL MIRTH ABODE NOR HILLS ADDED?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I've no idea how to fix this using our current software.

There's a reason you're the forum god.

• wjfox and Zaphod like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,612 posts
  • LocationLondon

There's a reason you're the forum god.

GxFaL5q.jpg

• Zaphod, Yuli Ban and BasilBerylium like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users