Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Forum Archival News and Discussions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

A few things:

The forums are being deleted soon. I don't know when— ask Will— but they're going to be gone forever. This isn't like the old forum, which you can still find but can't post to anymore. Once it's gone, it's gone.

For the most part.

If you have the time, you can go about saving the various subforums and threads to the Wayback Machine.

You can go to their webpage and hit "Save Page Now", but it takes a little while for the page to get saved.

Web Archive.com

You can also download a browser extension. Then you just have to go to that page, click on the extension and hit 'Save Page', and a new tab will come up. You can then immediately close that tab because Wayback Machine still saves the page (don't worry, I've checked!) and move on.

Chrome

Firefox

Once the new forums are up, you can get to work rebuilding everything there.

A few more things:

1. Make sure to also archive the subforum pages. Don't just archive the threads and leave future visitors with no way to view them!
  2. It's best to slow down on posting new things to the forum unless you archive it immediately after doing so. Otherwise whatever you posted will be lost forever and your time wasted.
  3. It is wholly possible to archive the entire forum, but there are still thousands of threads and most of them are useless. Because of this, it's best to focus on getting the biggest/most important/most memorable first and then picking up the rest because this can get very tedious for threads that have dozens, even hundreds of pages.
  4. I'd recommend going from oldest to newest.

This should also be the place where we post how far along we've gotten in archiving the forum, so post your progress. This can also help to make sure we don't wind up archiving the same pages a few hours or minutes from each other without realizing it's already been done.

I've saved the entire Nanotechnology & Material Science news thread to the Wayback Machine as a test run to see if it works (barring the 36th page). I'm currently in the middle of archiving the Ukraine Conflict thread (up to page 52).

Edit: And the Ukraine Conflict thread is completely saved. 

For those wondering why that was the first one I chose, well I mean I've said it many times before...

• wjfox, Maximus and Erowind like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • LocationCanada

When we repost the old threads on the new forum, will the time/date on the posts still be the same? Or will everything be dated from the day it's posted?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 18,946 posts

Oh no, no, heavens no, you can't repost old threads onto the new forum. You can recreate them, but again, this is just for archival record keeping. Everything's going to be reset.

In other news, I've saved: 

TED Talks

The Nostalgia Thread

World War I

Russian Revolution

Post Beautiful CGI

Trade War & Recession

And just to repeat, that's as of this posting. If you post anything after this very minute, it won't be saved unless you hit 'Save Page Now' yourself.

• wjfox likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
As in my status post:

If you guys want to archive the forum, use https://www.httrack.com it essentially just rips whole websites offline.

It does it automatically. As in, you dont need to separately get every thread. It'll get all child directories.

The Prophet (saw) said: He who does not thank the people is not thankful to Allah.

As We Rise

As We Rise

On and off and on and off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
I've made too many cringy posts throughout my two and a half years here that I'll just be saving individual posts from either myself or anyone else.

History will remember Trump supporters as brainwashed as*holes who voted against their own freedom, self-preservation, and right to live.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 18,946 posts

As in my status post:

If you guys want to archive the forum, use https://www.httrack.com it essentially just rips whole websites offline.

It does it automatically. As in, you dont need to separately get every thread. It'll get all child directories.

I COULD KISS YOU.

• Outlook and Erowind like this

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationIn some cafe eating--yes eating--roasted coffee beans and reading semiotext(e)s

As in my status post:

Got it working, I'll find a way to upload the backup for all once it's done. We're currently 60mb in and there's no telling how big this file will be.

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationIn some cafe eating--yes eating--roasted coffee beans and reading semiotext(e)s

I'm also probably going to pay to fix the link problems after I make sure the httrack mirror works as intended. There's a script here for 15$ that does that.

http://dynamictostatic.ornicus.com/

Also the hardrive i'm backing the forum up to has 1.4TB free so here's hoping that's enough :)

• Yuli Ban likes this

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Update: The backup has been running at a smooth 29Kbs for about 8 hours now. So far 2GB of data have been saved with a 5.33% error rate per 5,849 files saved. Here's hoping that's not too many errors to break the mirror, as I wouldn't even know where to start on fixing that.

• Yuli Ban, BasilBerylium and funkervogt like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,941 posts
  • LocationLondon
Wow, thanks everyone. :) I really appreciate this. :)
  • Yuli Ban and Erowind like this

PS1

PS1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Delete this post, nevermind.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Update: The backup has been running at a smooth 29Kbs for about 8 hours now. So far 2GB of data have been saved with a 5.33% error rate per 5,849 files saved. Here's hoping that's not too many errors to break the mirror, as I wouldn't even know where to start on fixing that.

Any progress on this?
  • Erowind likes this

The Prophet (saw) said: He who does not thank the people is not thankful to Allah.

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Any progress on this?

Yes, I figured out how to increase the speed to about 120Kb/s and restarted the mirror last night. We're up to 9GB now! That might not seem like a lot but it took 2 days to get to 5GB on the old speed.

I also tested the incomplete backup and everything that was downloaded seemed to work just like the real site, excluding being able to login and post of course.

• Yuli Ban likes this

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Update: 10.8GB archived

Note: It's surreal looking through the image files. The folder for imgur is like a timecapsule of internet culture over the past decade.

• wjfox, Zaphod, Yuli Ban and 2 others like this

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

|\_l¯\_/¯\_/¯l_/|

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • LocationArgentina

https://web.archive....visual-history/

• wjfox and Yuli Ban like this

TESTING

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

This is really incredible folks.  One of the reasons I post so much here is the idea that what I write might be available to future historians.  Of course, I always figured that was a long shot. It is really exciting to see that these steps are being taken, not just for my sake but for all of those people who have contributed their own ideas and links.

I will probably keep posting here right up until the new forum comes on line.  Even if my latest posts are not saved.  I don't consider it a waste any more than I would consider it a waste to talk with an acquaintance at a restaurant bar or some other public hangout.  The idea that my posts might survive the day is just frosting on the cake. 

• Yuli Ban likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users