Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Lazy, not biased: Susceptibility to partisan fake news is better explained by lack of reasoning than by motivated reasoning

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
https://www.scienced...01002771830163X

Thus, we conclude that analytic thinking is used to assess the plausibility of headlines, regardless of whether the stories are consistent or inconsistent with one’s political ideology. Our findings therefore suggest that susceptibility to fake news is driven more by lazy thinking than it is by partisan bias per se – a finding that opens potential avenues for fighting fake news.

• Yuli Ban likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Well, that is the good news.  The bad news is, present company excepted, most everybody on the darn planet is lazy. (I know I certainly am).

I mean, are all of those Fox news viewers so lazy they can't even use the remote to change channels?

(Even I can do that.  Mostly to keep my blood pressure under control).

Oh well.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 9,521 posts

/

tomasth

tomasth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Global warming -> heat wave -> lazy - > fake new againt global warming -> anti anti global warming action -> continuation of global warming -> heat wave -> lazy

Its a Global warming conspircy to keep Global warming ! :cool:

bgates276

bgates276

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the title of the article saying that lazy people lack reasoning ability? I'm not sure I agree with that assumption. My mathematics teacher in high school told me that some of the laziest people are mathematicians. While sometimes it makes sense to expend energy, that is not always the case. 

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 9,521 posts

maybe for some, but

I think it has more to do with the yarning for the old west or the religious times were anyone that isn't white, male or anyone that doesn't walk the religious line was either killed for doing so or was an second class.

It is driven by the inability to accept that some people are different and they can't accept freedom. They say they do but in reality it is only for their narrow mindset.

• caltrek likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,247 posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the title of the article saying that lazy people lack reasoning ability? I'm not sure I agree with that assumption. My mathematics teacher in high school told me that some of the laziest people are mathematicians. While sometimes it makes sense to expend energy, that is not always the case. 

I like Sciencedrocks' answer, but I have a slightly different take.

I think it has to do with the information that a person is provided. 

Think of an old school computer term that I don't hear much anymore: Garbage In, Garbage Out (GIGO).

The idea of GIGO was that no matter how fast a computer, no matter what its computational power, it didn't mean that it would give you a correct answer if the data it was given is flawed.  It lacked critical thinking to be able to analyze data and give you feedback like "this just doesn't seem right".  It had no analytical ability, no critical thinking ability.

So what is being lazy got to do with the point of the article?

It is not that consumers of lies are too stupid to understand that they are viewing lies.  It is that they are too lazy to do the necessary research to determine what the most probable truth is among options provided.  They simply do one stop shopping, as in:

"Do I keep up with the news?  Sure, I watch Fox news all the time......or I watch CNN all the time, etc.  

Never, "I sample the news from a wide variety of news outlets of varying ideological perspectives, and then make up my own mine over controversial matters."

So not too stupid in the sense that they cannot be taught how too think critically, but too lazy in that they do not see the point of taking (or at least applying) such training.

• Sciencerocks likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users