Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Egypt's New Mystery Sarcophagus

Ancient Egypt Ptolemaic period Bacteria

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Egypt’s new mystery sarcophagus

https://www.theverge...xandria-mystery

Introduction:

(The Verge) Today in news that sounds like the premise of a new action movie, the Egyptian Ministry of Culture announced that an archeological dig unearthed an ancient tomb in Alexandria. The black granite sarcophagus contained in the tomb dates back to the Ptolemaic period (sometime between 323 and 30 BC), and it’s the largest discovery of its kind in the area. We don’t know who or what is in it, and nobody has opened it before, which means humanity is facing a conundrum: do we open this thing or what?

I, for one, think it’s a terrible idea. Who knows what’s in there? Why gamble our fates with a thing that screams “I am cursed”? We know what happened with 

Pandora, But a part of me, the always-online part that’s already being slowly murdered by the onslaught of bad news happening out in the world, says, “You know what? Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to have this thing deliver us from our mortal coil.”

When I asked other Verge staffers if they’d open the mysterious sarcophagus, everyone had their own strong opinions. I present them to you, dear reader, so you can create an informed opinion about the risks before all hell potentially breaks lose.

Laura Hudson, culture editor — Pro: knowledge. Con: Isn’t there a real element to the curse of the pharaohs in terms of bacteria?

Open the article linked above for more Verge staff comments, or add your own comments to this thread.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ancient Egypt, Ptolemaic period, Bacteria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users