Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Bangladesh Watch Thread

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,328 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

School students have been protesting in demand for safer roads for 7 days in Bangladesh. Today, they were outnumbered and attacked by the student wing of the Bangladeshi government.

Students have been out on the streets since July 29, demanding safe road and justice for the two students who were killed in a road accident on Dhaka Airport Road. Shaheed Ramiz Uddin School and College students Diya Khanam Mim and Abdul Karim Rajib were killed, and several others were injured when a bus of “Jabal-e-Noor Paribahan” ploughed into a group of students on July 29

kaz6199

The government has been censoring all media outlets and will most likely shut down facebook if not nationwide internet coverage. We need to spread this news as much as we can. These students set out to protest peacefully and set an example, instead there are atrocious crimes being committed against them.

ELI5: https://www.reddit.c...demand/e3lgmtl/

EDIT 1: Cellular broadband has been disabled nationwide. Facebook has begun censoring and removing any related posts.

EDIT 2: Street lights switched off in major neighbourhoods.

EDIT 3: Live thread up https://www.reddit.c.../11e4mknpbhjqr/

Sad shit.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,328 posts

kaz6199

To clarify for those not familiar:

Two students were ran over by public transport buses racing to pick up passengers.

Since then, high school and college students have been protesting peacefully against dangerous road conditions (No driving and traffic regulations and poor enforcement ). They took it upon themselves to manage traffic (creating emergency lanes; laning according to vehicle size) and checking licenses of every passing vehicle (including police vehicles) on major roads.

In retaliation, the Awami league government run student body (Chatro League) along with police officials have started firing guns, tear gas, stick charges, committing rape against these students. Keep in mind the victims are mostly teenagers between the ages 14-18.

The major broadcast networks have been censoring any related news, and major news portals have also stopped reporting the events. We are currently relying on Facebook to spread images and videos of the situation.

Please feel free to correct me as necessary.

sageofhades707

They took it upon themselves to manage traffic (creating emergency lanes; laning according to vehicle size) and checking licenses of every passing vehicle (including police vehicles) on major roads.

They were actually doing great work but faced such horrible consequences.

whatarethecontrols

Yeah, traffic congestion were at a all time low according to first hand accounts, the student were showing how things should be done. Instead of praise the government decides to terrorise them. Oppression at its finest.

obsessedcrf

You know something is wrong when these students make a better government than the actual government. Should remove the government officials and put young people in their place

Epoch_Unreason

This is exactly why they are suppressing the students. If the students perform too well the government officials might be out of a job.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,328 posts

Bd_is_corrupt

Canadian here, family is originally from Bangladesh. I visit a grandparent every other year or so and this is my experience comparing the roads to give context to others who haven't seen it.

The congestion itself was pretty unbelievable. In a distance that would take maybe 20 minutes in Western cities took us 2 hours one time and on average it usually took about 1-1.5 hours. Logically it makes sense to just walk it, if the roads weren't literal death traps.

Sidewalks basically don't exist and neither do lanes. As soon as a car moves forward, all the cars behind try to zip into the spot, using every available space possible. The buses are completely scratched up and dented because they constantly grind against / bash into each other when moving and stopping. This is a constant risk to people forced to take transit. Literally the day after our uncle helped us to the airport he was nearly killed when the bus he was getting on slid into him.

For the streets that move faster there is the other side of the problems. The one time I ran to pick up medication for my grandparent was one of the few times in my life I was actually terrified for my life. I had to either cross a (approximately 4 lanes, 2 each way) street where traffic doesn't actually stop or walk half an hour just to get to a spot with a walking overpass thingy. You run across at the gaps and stop when cars to rush by. If it wasn't for my cousin physically pushing and pulling me along, I would guaranteed be dead. Decided to take the long ass walk on the way back.

What happens if someone is hit? Nothing. One time we were driving back around night time when our driver slowed down, moved to the side and went around something. Looking back (image still burned into my mind) it was a woman lying in the middle of the road. My parent saw it as well and asked to stop. The driver slowed and basically told us that if we were seen helping / tried to get help for them we would be taken in as the people who hit them. There had been enough cases of this so that the culture literally is to abandon anyone who gets hit. When my parent looked back at us and looked so defeated, not knowing what to do. Our driver also sounded distrubed but then continued onwards and we drove the rest of the way in silence.

I go back for a week or two every few years. This is the constant reality of the people who have to live there. Now when they try again to fix it, this happens.

Made a new account since I'm going back in the near future. My grandparent really isn't well and this might be the last chance we get to visit. I can't put my younger sibling and parent's lives at risk since from the stories/news articles I've seen, there is a decent risk even for international people who speak out and then visit the country. Even for full Canadian citizens, born, raised and now working in Canada, I don't want to take any risks.

. . .

Edit: I'll add more info later. To those that feel awful but don't know what to do, talk about what's happening. Share, ask questions. This is the kind of thing that will meet harsh punishments from international governments and groups but they need to know about it, that their people care about it. I'm not saying to "like and give thoughts and prayers". Be smart about it and you will have a big effect. Getting change and justice is difficult but I know people have it in them to do what needs to be done.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,328 posts

Bangladesh shuts down mobile internet to tackle teen protests

Bangladesh authorities have shut down mobile internet across swathes of the country, officials and local media said Sunday, as the authorities try to quell massive student protests that have spiraled into violence.

For the last week students have brought parts of the capital Dhaka to a standstill with a protest against poor road safety after 2 teenagers were killed by a speeding bus.

On Saturday the protests took a violent turn in Dhaka's Jigatala neighborhood with more than 100 people injured. 

Witnesses said police fired rubber bullets and tear gas at demonstrators and that alleged pro-government activists attacked youngsters, including some of those rushing to nearby hospitals for treatment.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,328 posts

Bangladesh clashes continue as protests intensify

Violent clashes have continued in Bangladesh's capital as authorities fired tear gas at students and shut down mobile internet connections after a week of youth protests over road safety following the death of two teenagers who were mowed down by a speeding bus.
Thousands of students from various schools and colleges on Sunday started controlling traffic in Dhaka, for the eighth consecutive day.
Bangladeshi police fired tear gas at students occupying an intersection in central Dhaka.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,328 posts

Prominent Bangladeshi photographer and human rights activist abducted hours after giving interview on Al Jazeera about 2018 Bangladesh Student Protest

Celebrated photographer Shahidul Alam has been picked up from his home in Dhanmondi.

He was picked up around 10:30pm Sunday in a car, a source at Drik, Shahidul's photography agency, told the Dhaka Tribune.

Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Detective Branch later confirmed that they had picked him up for interrogation.

Additional Commissioner of DMP (DB) Abdul Baten told UNB that a team of detectives detained Shahidul from his Dhanmondi residence for interrogation over his Facebook posts over the ongoing student protests.

Ramna Division Additional Deputy Commissioner Abdullahel Kafi confirmed that a member of Shahidul's family had informed the police that Shahidul was picked up from his home.

“Police has not detained him, and we do not know anything about this. We are investigating this allegation,” he said.

web-shahidul-alam-mehedi-hasan-152955851

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,328 posts

Teenagers are being murdered, raped, and silenced in Bangladesh, and I need your help /r/teenagers

EDIT: LIVE UPDATES

I'm sorry for ruining the general good vibes of this subreddit by hilgihting something so terrible but this really concerns all teenagers, and this is the only subreddit I know that will upvote anything. I apologize to the mods if this is not the most appropiate, but I really belive this desrves to be heard, and almost all other subreddits seem to remove this post.

I don't know where to start, this is horrifying situation. The vast majority of the 150 million people of my country has had their internet access cut off just recently. Internet speeds in Bangladesh are now 1.28KBPS. That dot is not a typo. 1.28kbps is the actual speed.

I will make this as short as I can,

• It started when a 2 teenagers were killed by Bus who disobeyed traffic laws.
  • Soon tens of thousands of teenage and student protestors came out on the street enforcing traffic laws by thesmelves ensuring no one else has to die, all this incredibly peacefully.
  • The government sent out, what I can only describe as their version of "Hitler Youth"
  • Rape, Murder, Assault by the Hitler Youth have been carried out. very NSFL pictures here. *Any posts on Facebook, Youtube, that make light of these crimes against humanity seems to dissapear instantly.

Bangladesh's Most Popular Yotuber (think of PewDiePie but Bangladeshi) has tried REAPEATDLY to upload videos on youtube informing people about where protests will take place, each time the videos get taken down. He attempted live streaming the video in 3 places at once, still got taken down.Right now he's urging people NOT to protest anymore due the sheer violence and regard for their safety.

My freinds in Bangladesh are having their facebook posts removed, some are even being blocked and banned. HOW CAN FACBEOOK bend to GOVERNMENTS like this?

I don't know if the people in my country have access to internet or not right now. Websites reporting on this from Bangladesh are so slow right now I can't acess them. Someone please try accessing https://www.dhakatribune.com/ I can't.

I am in Singapore right now so I am able to access the internet just fine but I can't seem to contact any of my friends and families back home. It seems the government has cut off internet access to deter protest of an entire country. This is horrifying, this can not be acceptable in the modern world. They are doing this so that international media can not get a hold of the horror coming out of Bangladesh.

Please, let the world know, because right now nothing is coming out of Bangladesh. We are silently being killed.

Our voices are being actively silenced. We need your help, whoever is reading, just know that this is going on, please let the world know about this , that young children are being mercilessly killed

All we wanted as teenagers was for people to obey some fucking traffic laws, and this is what happens.

ধন্যবাদ

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,328 posts

hastagelf

Our news websites are down, everything is down.
Please spread the word and if you need anything to be translated to or from Bengali, I am willing to do anything to get information out.
ধন্যবাদ. যদি কারো বাংলা ট্রান্সলেট লাগবে , আমারে বাংলাই লেখ আর আমি তোমার জন্য ইংরাজি তে ট্রান্সলেট করে দিব । আমাদের দেশ থেকে তথ্য প্রকাশ করতে হবে।
14 to 18 year olds are being killed and raped for protesting তের থেকে উনিশ বছরের ছেলেমেরা আমাদের রাস্তায় হত হচ্ছে
EDIT: I usually hate making edits, but there have been such an overwhelming out of support from all of you, thank you all. I am safe, and I belive there is no harm that can happen to me or my internet as I am abroad in Singapore right now, however I can not say the same for my people in Bangladesh, Internet connection their is sporadic and I am constnatly trying to get a hold of them.
Please sign this petiton urging the United Nations to call out Bangladesh Chattra Leauge (the Hitler Youth I was reffering to in post) as a terrorist organization.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,328 posts

Females in Dhaka are guarded by teenage students after 4 girls got raped today by the thugs of the Bangladeshi government for protesting against dangerous roads.

7otmxyd8e4e11.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,328 posts

A reporter in Bangladesh gets beaten with metal rods in an attempt to destroy his camera. This picture was taken a few hours ago.

g13x2e2lh9e11.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,328 posts

Facebook is indeed down in Dhaka

08d7kln8j9e11.png

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,328 posts

Is Bangladesh moving towards one-party state?

The controversial jailing of former Bangladesh Prime Minister Khaleda Zia and the state persecution of dissent have raised fears that the next parliamentary election could turn into a violent sham.
Fear of a 2014 repeat, when the parliamentary elections were boycotted by almost all the opposition parties and marred by large-scale violence and killings, runs high in Bangladesh as the ruling Awami League (AL) government faces allegations of a concerted persecution of its opponents.
While activists and political workers opposed to the government live under an increasing threat of being jailed or worse, there is widespread concern, even among the common people, over what lies ahead in an election year.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,328 posts

The exact moment of mobs breaking the head of a freelance journalist while trying to take his camera. 

9vi4kn1hhbe11.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,328 posts

36ezbsr8ece11.png

bn812e06b9e11.jpg

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

@ Yuli,

Great use of social media on your part to try and figure out what the hell is going on.

• Yuli Ban likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,851 posts

Well, this is how the Jakarta Post is covering it:

Bangladesh PM urges teen protesters to go home amid violence

http://www.thejakart...d-violence.html

Introduction:

(Jakarta Post) Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina urged students Sunday to go home as police fired tear gas during an eighth day of unprecedented protests over road safety which have paralysed parts of Dhaka.

Students in their tens of thousands have brought parts of the capital to a standstill after two teenagers were killed by a speeding bus.

The unrest quickly spread beyond the capital. Authorities have shut down mobile internet services across swathes of the country, officials and local media said.

On Saturday the protests took a violent turn in Dhaka's Jigatala neighbourhood, with more than 100 people injured as police fired rubber bullets at demonstrators.

A car carrying US ambassador Marcia Bernicat was also attacked by "armed men" but she escaped unscathed, the embassy said.

2018_08_05_50610_1533463806._large.jpg

Bangladeshi students march along a a street during a student protest in Dhaka on August 4, 2018, following the deaths of two college students in a road accident .

(AFP/Munir Uz Zaman)

• Yuli Ban likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,328 posts

Motorcade carrying the U.S. Ambassador to Bangladesh was attacked by a group of armed men in the country's capital Dhaka

Armed men attacked a convoy of cars carrying the US ambassador to Bangladesh in Dhaka on Saturday, US embassy said in a statement on Facebook.
Ambassador Marcia Bernicat and her security team managed to leave the area unharmed, the statement said, adding that two security vehicles were damaged.
The incident comes amid protests by students against lax road safety rules in the country.
On Saturday, Bangladeshi police fired tear gas at crowds of students occupying an intersection in the center of Dhaka.
"It was a peaceful rally, but suddenly police fired tear gas shells aimed at us that left several injured," Mohammad Atikur Rahman, one of the protesters, told the Deutsche Presse-Agentur news agency.
A number of journalists were reportedly also beaten, with members of the ruling Awami League party taking away their cameras.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,851 posts

Calls grow for release of Bangladeshi photographer Shahidul Alam

https://www.aljazeer...1145247788.html

Introduction:

(Al Jazeera) Calls are growing for the release of award-winning photographer and social activist Shahidul Alam who was detained by Bangladeshi police for "provocative comments" about student-led protests in the country.

Alam, 63, was picked up by officers at his home in Dhaka on Sunday, hours after his remarks about the days-long rallies were broadcast on Al Jazeera

Mass demonstrations over road safety broke out in late July after two teenagers were killed by a speeding bus. 

Five renowned intellectuals and authors - Arundhati Roy, Eve Ensler, Naomi Klein, Noam Chomsky and Vijay Prashad - issued a statement urging the Bangladeshi government to "immediately release" Alam and drop all charges against him.

"Documentation and criticism are elementary aspects of human life. For a state to deny a citizen the right to say what is happening and to be angered about what is happening is a denial of this basic right," their statement said. 

8bcf9c15dd5243b3a85c35646203463c_18.jpg

Alam was arrested on for 'provocative comments' hours after his comments about protests were broadcast on Al Jazeera.

[Mohammad Ponir Hossain/Reuters]

• Yuli Ban likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users