Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

In the future, what would be considered pseudo-Artificial intelligence?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
In the future, before the advent of true Artificial intelligence, what will have pseudo-Artificial intelligence. Not Alexa or Watson. Those aren’t even pseudo.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,066 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Not quite sure what you mean by this, since Alexa and Watson are very much artificial intelligence. They're just weak AI built for specific functions. 

I'm guessing you're referring to AI architecture here, with "Artificial Intelligence" = "Artificial General Intelligence" and "Not-even pseudo" = "Artificial Narrow Intelligence." In which case, "Pseudo-Artificial Intelligence" = that bizarre twilight stage between narrow and general AI.

Well isn't that the trillion dollar problem no one's addressing. I've called it "Artificial Expert Intelligence", mainly because expert implies field knowledge without general knowledge and partially because the acronym can be the oh-so cyberpunk "AXI".

• Jakob likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
I don't know about "pseudo AI", but "True AI" is another term for "Strong AI":

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Strong_AI

It's almost a technical term, except that it has different meanings, depending on the context:

Artificial general intelligence, a hypothetical machine that exhibits behavior at least as skillful and flexible as humans do, and the research program of building such an artificial general intelligence

Computational theory of mind, the philosophical position that human minds are, in essence, computer programs. This position was named "strong AI" by John Searle in his Chinese room argument.

Artificial consciousness, a hypothetical machine that possesses awareness of external objects, ideas and/or self-awareness.

It may sound a little oxymoronic, like saying "real fake news" -- if it's "fake", how can it be "real"?

The confusion lies in the fact that "Artificial Intelligence" means something specific above and beyond the individual words; so, "artificial" and "intelligence" shouldn't be separated -- intelligence that is artificial doesn't mean the same thing as "artificial intelligence", in the way that AI was originally conceived.

So, I suppose one could also talk about "psuedo AI": it's AI pretending to be what the original creators of the field of study "AI" (initiated by Minsky and others) intended by the term.

Trouble is, the term nowadays has different meanings to different people.

The core issue is that there are many different ways to get machines to produce the correct behaviors in test settings. Some of these will be very different from how the brain works, even at an abstract level. For example, there are many different ways to sort a list of numbers -- they each get the job done, but do so in radically different ways. Some of the methods look like "cheats" or tricks.

Statistical methods to perform machine translation are like that -- the process does not appear to resemble how the brain does it; nor even resemble some abstract cognitive sciencey model of how the brain does it.

These statistical methods are part of the field of AI; but they do not constitute "an AI".

tomasth

tomasth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

So "an AI" would be anything by comp sci , that can do things it would take intelligence in a creature. (edge case would be computational neuroscience , since its both).

Distinguishing pseudo-Artificial intelligence from both Artificial Narrow Intelligence and a centaur of Artificial Narrow Intelligence with Artificial Animal Intelligence , is going to be hard. (unless Animal Intelligence is already aversion of AGI)

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Early machines that can pass the Turing Test most of the time might be thought of as "pseudo-AIs."

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,753 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

In the future, before the advent of true Artificial intelligence, what will have pseudo-Artificial intelligence. Not Alexa or Watson. Those aren’t even pseudo.

I dunno.

But I'm pretty sure after the advent of true AI, it will consider our intelligence pseudo-intelligence.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users