Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

When will the first cryogenically preserved people get successfully revived?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

When will the first cryogenically preserved people get successfully revived?

Does anyone have any guesses in regards to this?

Also, for the record, I am not talking about having one's mind downloaded into a computer, since that would just create a copy of you. Rather, I am talking about actually reviving one's cryogenically preserved body (or, alternatively, growing a new body for your cryogenically preserved head before it is revived).

Any thoughts on this?

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • 5,945 posts

Probably no one from today will be fully recoverable, though some might be partially recoverable, and educated guesswork could fill in the gaps. Probably a few decades from now, someone will be frozen in a fully recoverable manner, and thawed a few years later for whatever reason. 

• Yuli Ban likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • 5,945 posts

that would just create a copy of you

Your brain's structure is being altered all the time, but you wouldn't say you're continuously destroyed and copies are created, would you? I think the most reasonable thing to do is define a set of boundaries for one's identity, and if your brain meet stays within those boundaries, you're you, and if it strays outside, then you're legally someone else (though you may or may not be socially someone else, depending on what your friends and family think). You may, of course, define and redefine these parameters yourself at any time, though if you've strayed from the parameters, you can't retroactively adjust them to make the previous person legally you. I call this idea a deep mind ID core.

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

I don't think we'll be able to successfully thaw humans out of cryostasis until we have nanomachines or at least micromachines that can repair the freezing damage to their tissue at the cellular level, which pushes this milestone well into the 2100s. 

Probably no one from today will be fully recoverable, though some might be partially recoverable, and educated guesswork could fill in the gaps. Probably a few decades from now, someone will be frozen in a fully recoverable manner, and thawed a few years later for whatever reason. 

I think that's probably true. Certainly, the odds of recovery will increase as we become able to do cheaper, higher-res brain scans of people before they are frozen (which would be used to guide their cellular-level reconstruction as they are thawed out), and as we invent better cryoprotectants and freezing techniques. I agree that freezing people in "a fully recoverable manner" will be possible within a few decades, and before the year 2100. 

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

I don't think we'll be able to successfully thaw humans out of cryostasis until we have nanomachines or at least micromachines that can repair the freezing damage to their tissue at the cellular level, which pushes this milestone well into the 2100s. 

I think that's probably true. Certainly, the odds of recovery will increase as we become able to do cheaper, higher-res brain scans of people before they are frozen (which would be used to guide their cellular-level reconstruction as they are thawed out), and as we invent better cryoprotectants and freezing techniques. I agree that freezing people in "a fully recoverable manner" will be possible within a few decades, and before the year 2100. 

So, should someone who is going to die between 2030 and 2040 celebrate or be sad?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

that would just create a copy of you

Your brain's structure is being altered all the time, but you wouldn't say you're continuously destroyed and copies are created, would you? I think the most reasonable thing to do is define a set of boundaries for one's identity, and if your brain meet stays within those boundaries, you're you, and if it strays outside, then you're legally someone else (though you may or may not be socially someone else, depending on what your friends and family think). You may, of course, define and redefine these parameters yourself at any time, though if you've strayed from the parameters, you can't retroactively adjust them to make the previous person legally you. I call this idea a deep mind ID core.

Here's how I think of it--if you put a file online and someone else downloads it and then makes changes to it, your original file is still going to remain exactly the same. Thus, the downloaded file is certainly not the same thing as the original file.

Similarly, if I was somehow able to travel back to the past and prevent my past self from doing something, then my "past me" would no longer be me since I would have split the timeline into two separate timelines.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Also, when exactly do you think that we will have a cure to aging or at least anti-aging treatment which makes one age at a slower pace?

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I was reading an interview with Aubrey de Grey that said that there was a new cryopreservation technique or tool that is supposedly like what vitrification was to the old style of freezing. Anyways the point was that the new method is supposed to be a vastly superior method of preservation than previous methods. Perhaps this means that thawing people out may be accelerated by a decade or so. 

My guess however would be towards the end of the next decade. 

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

I was reading an interview with Aubrey de Grey that said that there was a new cryopreservation technique or tool that is supposedly like what vitrification was to the old style of freezing. Anyways the point was that the new method is supposed to be a vastly superior method of preservation than previous methods. Perhaps this means that thawing people out may be accelerated by a decade or so. 

You think that someone's going to get un-frozen by 2029? 

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • 5,945 posts

Hahahahahaha

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I think it's not an untenable position with a sufficiently preserved specimen. 

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

You mean specifically a human or any cryogenically preserved organism?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Hahahahahaha

Yeah, this strikes me as being extremely unrealistic--even for small animals such as mice--let alone for humans!

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

A human but certainly small mammals. Organisms have already been brought back so there is no question as to that aspect. 

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

A human but certainly small mammals. Organisms have already been brought back so there is no question as to that aspect. 

Which organisms have been brought back?

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • 2,374 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
I'm gonna guess around 2080 at the earliest if it will be at all possible, and 2150 if being conservative.
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Worms, tardigrades, etc

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,832 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I don't know if you guys know this, but Aubrey de Grey is a member of Alcor Life Extension Foundation and is arranged to be cyropreserved upon his death.

• Futurist likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Worms, tardigrades, etc

Interesting.

Were these worms, etc still alive when they were cryogenically preserved?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

I don't know if you guys know this, but Aubrey de Grey is a member of Alcor Life Extension Foundation and is arranged to be cyropreserved upon his death.

Yes, but what relevance does it have to this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users