Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Trump Poll

DonaldTrump POTUS Commander in Chief The Donald Organisation Orange God Emperor Orangutan

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Trump (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Your feeling towards Trump

1. Positive (6 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. Negative (16 votes [72.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Curious to know the general perception towards Trump, at the moment, in the broadest possible stroke. 

If there's nuance to your opinion then feel free as a bird to expand in the comments

Only take advice from people who have what you want.
You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,246 posts
  • LocationLondon

Worst U.S. President ever, by a very wide margin. A truly vile human.

• Raklian likes this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
I wouldn't say he was the worst. Some reconstruction and pre-civil war era presidents were worse. Also 1920s produced bad presidents like Hoover and Coolidge. I'll say though that the guy is pretty much riding on Obama's wave, and that he is diplomatically stunted.

His personality and oration skills make him sound like he's 7 years old too, which is not very easy to like. But the worst are his supporters. At least with liberals, most of them like to criticize their "side", and have awareness. Republicans and DT supporters are just cult followers by now.
  • Cody930, Yuli Ban and rennerpetey like this

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/z97qLNXeAMQ

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,415 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Honestly, he's not that bad by American standards. The problem is more that American standards are that bad in the first place, but Trump has been exactly as a Republican administration ought to be. Just with more trolling and buffoonery. I'm surprised there hasn't been a new war yet, but the tax cuts warded off an economic recession and there's been nothing to trigger any sort of constitutional crisis because he's been restrained time and time again. 

If Trump had no one to reign him in, we'd have invaded Venezuela last August, bombed Iran, and probably used a nuke instead of a MOAB. But that's the thing about American government. 

It's mostly funny and distressing to watch him fuck about with Presidential power because his administration is exactly the kind of thing you'd expect from the '80s sci-fi movie about the 2010s. You know, like President Biff Tannen. It's like a parody come to life. And that's what people don't like the most. 

What's more, there have been many good things to come out of a Trump presidency— the sheer raw disbelief people have felt over him ironically led to more action being taken on climate change because people are taking the threat seriously from a bottom-up level rather than the top-down one we were expecting beforehand. Now there's more incentive for cities and communities to do their part. Coal companies are dying naturally, proving to people who believed in a sinister "war on coal" that the industry genuinely isn't viable. If we had someone other than Trump, this conspiracy would have persisted. 

And in resisting the trends he's started, we're seeing much more activism and solidarity than we would have had otherwise. Think of voter apathy. Before, so many people assumed "both parties are the same" and were widely supported in this assumption. Trump being the face of the GOP is like a knuckle sandwich to the cynics. Trump lit the fire under the dwarf, so to speak— we were growing far too complacent so only going as far as possible in the other direction would wake some of us up. 

Right when the GOP realized that it was fast becoming the party of old white Christian men in the eyes of the public and tried to expand to minorities and some socially progressive ideals with economically conservative ideas, here came Trump exemplifying literally everything the GOP was trying to not become. And he won. What's more, he won a victory that commentators as recently as four years ago were saying could never be won— a GOP-controlled White House and Congress and Supreme Court. And he did this by exploiting paranoia over minorities and socially progressive ideals. Remember how during the 2016 election season the GOP was doubling down on how friendly it could be with Hispanics? What with Marco Rubio considered a frontrunner and Jeb! and his epic guacamole and Hispanic wife? Or that Ted Cruz was also Hispanic himself? And Trump came out swinging with "they're sending rapists and drug dealers; some of them, I assume, are good people" and talking of building a giant dystopian wall to keep illegal immigrants out in a time when more Hispanics were leaving the USA than coming. 

The GOP decided to double down on all this when it saw that it was successful. We've yet to see if it will remain a successful gambit.

Come the 2020s, it might wind up costing the GOP dearly. 

• Casey and rennerpetey like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

Fighting Corporations since 2020

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationNot in Kansas anymore

Come the 2020s, it might wind up costing the GOP dearly.

Trump is most likely going to be in office another 6 years.  That's a long time to not change in this politically fluid environment.  The electoral college is going to shift in the next decade significantly.  States such as Texas and Florida, have (liberal) cities and minority populations that are growing faster than the (conservative) white rural areas that currently dominate the state politics.  If every person in the state of Texas voted in the midterms next month, the democrats would have an 8 or 9 point lead on the Republicans.  The problem with these states is voter registration and voter turnout.  As my generation, the most politically active generation alive, becomes eligible to vote, turnout will raise.  When Texas inevitably flips and Florida solidifies blue in the next 10 years, the Democrats are going to be unstoppable if the Republicans don't make a shift, which won't happen until after 2024, possibly too late.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Republicans diminish in power in the late 2020s, and there's a new party that overtakes them, similar to how the Republicans overtook the weakened Whigs in the 1856 and 1860 elections.

TL;DR:  The best hope for Republicans right now is that Trump is voted out of office 2020.

John Lennon dares you to make sense of this

Spoiler

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,986 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

He's one of the worse ones, if not the worst, simply because of one reason - he brazenly lies when it suits him. He is not trustworthy as a leader. In actuality, he really doesn't want to be a leader but as someone who holds on to a position of power for the benefit of his own family, and to do that, he demagogues his support base what they want to hear even they're white lies. 

• wjfox likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Omosoap

Omosoap

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

For me, he reminds me too much of African dictators that I am all too familiar with. Especially the ones that just bluster about things they know nothing about. Sigh. But, every president does some good, it's just...I can't get the image of some African country's presidents out of my head when I think of him.

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
Not commenting otherwise, but oligarchs are oligarchs. The democrats are just as bad. People have been snatched from their homes for being refugees long before Trump. America was a police state long before Trump. America was a oligarchy long before Trump. Dems go to sleep when their candidate is office, even though all this shit keeps happening behind the scenes.

The Democratic motto, "gay rights are cool yo, let's go bomb Syria though!"

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 13,308 posts

Trump is going to keep winning no matter what you say.

That is the reality as most people within this country disagree with you.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Trump is going to keep winning no matter what you say.

That is the reality as most people within this country disagree with you.

The disease.

It's... spreading.

As We Rise

As We Rise

Matthew 24:12, NIV

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
Trump might be a fool, but he is making America great again. No doubt about it.
  • Sciencerocks likes this

The reality? There are millions of normal people who are starting to LIKE the idea of fascism BECAUSE there are literal bolsheviks flooding the streets and attacking people. I swear to God, when the Left actually gets the storm they've been preaching about, you won't even see it on the news. The population will just shrink from 330 million to 230 million overnight and nobody will ever speak of it again.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,218 posts

I think most of you probably suspect the negative feelings I have toward Trump.  One thing I will say is that at least he has not dragged us into a war the way Bush Jr. did.  I don't know how much longer that will last, but in that narrow sense he is way better than Bush, Jr.  Sadly, Yuli has a point.  There have been so many political bosses and even presidents in our post who were at least as corrupt as Trump.  You would think we would have figured out by now how to keep such characters from gaining such power.  Red states seem to have a higher tolerance for such nonsense, and thus are willing to foist such characters upon the rest of the country.  What is not realized is how much democracy itself is now at risk.  

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

One thing I will say is that at least he has not dragged us into a war the way Bush Jr. did.  I don't know how much longer that will last...

Perhaps, not so long:

DpzlFsnW0AAnfDW.jpg

Huge growth, even compared to previous year. This is what we in Russia calling "my ass feels it" - the intuitive confidence that we cannot rationally explain (even to ourselves). American soldiers may not know the secret plans and strategies, but they perfectly feel what's "in the air".

Not commenting otherwise, but oligarchs are oligarchs. The democrats are just as bad...

The Democratic motto, "gay rights are cool yo, let's go bomb Syria though!"

IMHO, democrats are significantly worse. Both democrats and republicans are predators, but republicans are more or less rational predators while democrats constantly trying to camouflage their nature behind some (completely absurd for an outside observer) quasi-progressive rhetorics. And if they believe in this rhetorics themselves - well, this only makes them even more dangerous.

The Democratic motto is not "gay rights are cool yo, let's go bomb Syria though!" this is rather "We must bomb Syria to defend the gay rights!" And for those who doubt or asking untimely questions, they will always ready to show the new "shocking evidence" filmed by "Blue Helmets" gay rescue team...

• eacao and Yuli Ban like this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,218 posts

caltrek, on 19 Oct 2018 - 04:48 AM, said:

snapback.png

One thing I will say is that at least he has not dragged us into a war the way Bush Jr. did.  I don't know how much longer that will last...

Perhaps, not so long:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Yes, I have to admit that my level of faith that Trump will keep us out of unnecessary wars is approximately zero. The temptation to distract from allegations of corruption and collusion with foreign powers will only grow with time.  The hope is that would be the final straw for many Trump enablers.  So Trump may continue to act in a provocative manner in hopes that somebody will take the bait and that he will thus have a "popular" war on his hands. Still, if he avoids that path, he should be given credit for that avoidance.  For obvious reasons, I will withhold final  judgement until after his time in office ends.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,415 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

What's insane is that I expect Trump to hand America its first unequivocal military defeat.

We technically didn't lose the War of 1812, nor did we lose Vietnam. Keyword: "technically." Everyone sentient knows we lost both wars. But the British did not capture the US government in 1814 so we never surrendered, and we won every major battle in Vietnam. It's just that the British burned down our capital and we lost Saigon.

In this upcoming war/series of wars, I wouldn't be surprised if we wind up having to sign an armistice or surrender agreement on our opponent's terms.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,218 posts

In this upcoming war/series of wars, I wouldn't be surprised if we wind up having to sign an armistice or surrender agreement on our opponent's terms.

...or perhaps something a little less formal...such as running all major policy decisions by Mr. Putin to make sure he agrees.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

There won't be any war... these claims are as unfounded as Rec's claims about a financial collapse.

• Outlook likes this

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

There won't be any war... these claims are as unfounded as Rec's claims about a financial collapse.

I love that its sourced from the unbiased and non-war addled readers of "Military Times"

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

I love that its sourced from the unbiased and non-war addled readers of "Military Times"

You didn't get the point. No matter are they biased or not. We can assume that their "bias level" didn't seriously changed from 2017 to 2018, but their "expectance of war" skyrocketed. And the fact that this poll was held among active-duty readers makes it even more indicative (and alarming).

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

You didn't get the point. No matter are they biased or not. We can assume that their "bias level" didn't seriously changed from 2017 to 2018, but their "expectance of war" skyrocketed. And the fact that this poll was held among active-duty readers makes it even more indicative (and alarming).

It hardly makes it "alarming", and "indicative" of what I do not know but the fact that in the previous year a large percentage were "don't know" then it is impossible to know where that plurality stood before hand. Besides it would be prudent to point out that after the rhetoric of Trump with North Korea and Iran everyone, even the layman, would be enough to switch those "don't know" to "somewhat likely". This does not mean that there has been any appreciable increase in absolute terms as to the probability of war.

This all being moot when this is a case of accepting the premise of which in this instance constitutes accepting that war hawks have any significant capacity to predict war over you or anyone else.  

• caltrek likes this

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DonaldTrump, POTUS, Commander in Chief, The Donald, Organisation, Orange, God Emperor, Orangutan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users