Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Archaeology - Theory, Practice, and Technological Considerations

Archaeology Prehistoric Times Archaeological Technology

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,113 posts

First, a word about what I do not  want this thread to be about.  I do not want to see reports of findings from a particular site end up in this site.  I think this forum is underpopulated as it is, so I don't see the need to consolidate information about particular sites into one thread.  Better to have clear titles in totally separate threads that readers can pick and choose among as their fancy dictates.  

Rather, this should be a thread about archaeology as a whole.  So, such things as:  technological instruments used in archaeological research; trends in funding; political developments affecting regional archaeological research (where an entire region is affected instead of just one site); developments (positive or negative) in attitudes toward the field; all should be included.  Also, broad findings arrived at through a variety of sources (meaning sites) would also be appropriate.  I am probably missing some obvious examples of what would be appropriate, but again anything that is not peculiar to the findings of an individual site (or for that matter a group of geographically proximate sites).  

What prompted me to start this thread was the article I found that I have cited and linked below.  I realized that we did not have such a catch-all thread that addresses the theory and practice of archaeology.  (Or at least if we did that it has receded beyond the first few pages). At any rate, without further introduction:

America's Archaeology Data  Keeps Disappearing

https://theconversation.com/americas-archaeology-data-keeps-disappearing-even-though-the-law-says-the-government-is-supposed-to-preserve-it-104674

Introduction:

(The Conversation) Archaeology – the name conjures up images of someone carefully sifting the sands for traces of the past and then meticulously putting those relics in a museum. But today’s archaeology is not just about retrieving artifacts and drawing maps by hand. It also uses the tools of today: 3D imaging, LiDAR scans, GPS mapping and more.

Today, nearly all archaeological fieldwork in the U.S. is executed by private firms in response to legal mandates for historic preservation, at a cost of about a billion dollars annually. However, only a minuscule fraction of the data from these projects is made accessible or preserved for future research, despite agencies’ clear legal obligations to do so. Severe loss of these data is not unusual – it’s the norm.

Unanswered questions

Federally mandated projects yield massive amounts of irreplaceable data, particularly on Native American history. Those data are generated for the explicit purpose of benefiting the American public.

The primary data include things like counts of different kinds of artifacts; information on fragments of plant and animals found in fire pits; maps and photographs of ruined buildings; dates from charred roof beams; and the chemical composition of paint on pottery. This allows researchers to understand life in the past – inferring, for example, human population size and movement, social organization, trade and diet.

The data further enable archaeologists to study social processes that are important in today’s world, but that operate so slowly that they aren’t perceptible on time scales available in other social sciences. Why does migration occur? Why do migrant groups maintain their identities in some circumstances and adopt new ones in others? What factors have allowed some societies to persist over very long time periods?

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Archaeology, Prehistoric Times, Archaeological Technology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users