Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Worldometry

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Let it be the reference thread to collect the important data and infographics (self-made) reflecting the current state of the world. There are many indicators, some are important, and some are less...

Let's start with demography. We all know that world population is growing, and this map of Total Fertility Rate shows where exactly it growing and which countries facing depopulation:

24076541.png

Source: the data sheets of Population Reference Bureau, the map was made by your humble servant.

Second indicator is Democracy Index. A bit questionable and biased, IMHO, but nevertheless:

24076540.png

Source: the last report of Economist Intelligence Unit, but you'll have to register to download their stuff.

The third indicator should have been the Human Development Index, but I discovered the nasty thing: The UN has a habit to constantly "review our methodology" and change (in a purely orwellian way) even the past values of HDI. This alone makes the indicator blurry and uninformative.

=== === ===

PS not sure where exactly it should be. This is clearly not "news" or "current events", but other topics are even less suitable. Let mods decide.

• Yuli Ban, Outlook and Erowind like this

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Small addition or why middle-term and long-term forecasts aren't much reliable:

Browsing the annual "world population data sheet"s (from 2004 to 2018), i noticed the interesting thing. In 2004, they predicted that, by 2050, African population should reach 1 941 million people. But then, with growth (clearly faster than expected) of real population, they had to review their forecast, again and again. And now, in 2018, they're already predicting 2 586 million people.

In reality, I will not be much surprised if we'll see 3 billion.

The population of Africa, real and projected by 2050:

24076546.png

• Erowind likes this

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

I suggest making a simplified "Total Fertility" map where the countries are colored as follows:

Bright Red  >2.6

Pink  2.1 - 2.6

Light blue  1.5 - 2.1

Dark Purple   <1.5

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Also, I think this is a better alternative to your "Democracy Index" world map: https://freedomhouse...s/freedom-world

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Also, I think this is a better alternative to your "Democracy Index" world map: https://freedomhouse...s/freedom-world

I don't think this is better. Their color scheme is simply counterintuitive: if "free" is green and "partly free" is yellow then "not free" must be orange or red or brown, but by no means violet.

I suggest making a simplified "Total Fertility" map where the countries are colored as follows:

Bright Red  >2.6

Pink  2.1 - 2.6

Light blue  1.5 - 2.1

Dark Purple   <1.5

You can modify it yourself. I was guided by this: "good" fertility rates are green, and "bad" are either higher spectrum colors (for high fertility) or lower (low fertility).

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,442 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Small addition or why middle-term and long-term forecasts aren't much reliable:

Browsing the annual "world population data sheet"s (from 2004 to 2018), i noticed the interesting thing. In 2004, they predicted that, by 2050, African population should reach 1 941 million people. But then, with growth (clearly faster than expected) of real population, they had to review their forecast, again and again. And now, in 2018, they're already predicting 2 586 million people.

In reality, I will not be much surprised if we'll see 3 billion.

The population of Africa, real and projected by 2050:

24076546.png

Wait, that's it? I thought the population projections for Africa by 2050 were already closer to 3 billion. I'm also surprised the continent only reached 1 billion this decade. I could have sworn the population reached a billion when I was in elementary school (read: 2003-2004). Or maybe that's a false memory?

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Wait, that's it?

24076546.png

Population of Africa (current and projected by 2050) acording to PRB's annual reports...

I could have sworn the population reached a billion when I was in elementary school (read: 2003-2004). Or maybe that's a false memory?

Maybe not, there are different sources. I suspect, for Africa +/- 5% difference in estimates is quite normal.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Meanwhile, at the request of readers...

The third indicator: Freedom In The World from the last (2018) report of Freedom House:

24079617.png

• Yuli Ban, funkervogt and Enter Ataraxia like this

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Nobody cares, but I'll continue...

Social Progress Index measures the level of social development. Country may be rich, but socially backward (Saudi Arabia). Or otherwise (Chile). This is exactly the map of "first", "second", and "third" worlds. My favorite index, but with serious flaw: incomplete coverage, some important countries were missed:

24086053.png

Source: Social Progress Imperative

Global Peace Index shows where you can live safe and peacefully, and where you can't. IMHO the typical example of biased bullshit. According to this rating, Russia is as safe to live as Syria (endless war) and Libya (the same plus functioning slave markets). Perhaps I should consider emigrating to a more peaceful place, such as Sudan, Venezuela, or Palestine... rating says it would be the smart choise.

Nevertheless, I'll post this:

24083164.png

Source: Institute for Economics & Peace

• Erowind and Enter Ataraxia like this

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationIn some cafe eating--yes eating--roasted coffee beans and reading semiotext(e)s

Thanks for posting all of this. I agree with your assessment of the biases involved. The Global Peace Index is clearly wrong. If I got a tourist Visa and came to visit Russia I could travel freely without fear of much harm. I can't say the same for Syria or many of the Sub-Saharan African countries. The democracy index is clearly biased too, my government is extremely corrupt. I'm not going to say it's as corrupt as your countries government, but the US should be closer to Russia than to Switzerland on that index. For that matter a lot of the western countries there should be knocked down a few ratings.

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,442 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Nobody cares, but I'll continue...

I mean, I care. I started quite a few threads posting seemingly unappreciated content, but sometimes these things take time to get going or need future retrospect. Like that Charts & Graphs of the Future thread.

PS not sure where exactly it should be. This is clearly not "news" or "current events", but other topics are even less suitable. Let mods decide.

Rule of thumb: the Images and Videos subforum works well for any thread based on infographics and visual media, including those which involve demographics and sociopolitical developments.

• wjfox and Erowind like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Enter Ataraxia

Enter Ataraxia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Location+0° 2′ 46.2″, 179° 56′ 39.4″ 7.9E2+/-420parsecs

Rule of thumb: the Images and Videos subforum works well for any thread based on infographics and visual media, including those which involve demographics and sociopolitical developments.

Worldometry seems to be a "state' of the world, a snapshot. With this in mind, and while it might not hurt, this being in the news would be more interesting. We could see the state of the world change with different news headlines or articles while maintaining to and considering the metrics we saw in Worldometry. There could even be a monthly or yearly update post on the changing state of the world.

"Utopia is the hope that the scattered fragments of good that we come across from time to time in our lives can be put together, one day, to reveal the shape of a new kind of life. The kind of life that yours should have been." - Bostrom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users