Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Beyond endohedral fullerenes

endofullerenes endohedral fullerenes fullerenes nanotechnology atomic clocks

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Hyndal_Halcyon

Hyndal_Halcyon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Recently came across these tiny majesties.

Endohedral_fullerene.png

Source: 

Legend:

• Gray = carbon atoms and covalent bonds
  • Red = any molecule small enough to fit

Apparently, they are called endofullerenes. Crazy expensive molecular cages at around $ 100 to 200 million. Their current possible applications are for GPS trackers due to their being accurate down to the millimeter scale, therefore good for even more portable and precise space (for avoiding collisions in self-driving cars) as well as time measurements (as in handheld atomic clocks).

I can only think of them being good quantum dot components, possibly by putting inside supersensitive ions or compounds, but how can such little ball of a beaut be possibly applied or even create other technologies? Let your inner nanotech geek go wild :)

• Outlook and Enter Ataraxia like this

As you can see, I'm a huge nerd who'd rather write about how we can become a Type V civilization instead of study for my final exams (gotta fix that).

But to put an end to this topic, might I say that the one and only greatest future achievement of humankind is when it finally becomes posthumankind.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: endofullerenes, endohedral fullerenes, fullerenes, nanotechnology, atomic clocks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users