Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Unpredicted Developments In 2018

Science Technology Scientific Research 2018

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,569 posts

Egypt and Pakistan had highest rise in research output in 2018

https://www.nature.c...586-018-07841-9

Introduction:

(Nature) Emerging economies showed some of the largest increases in research output in 2018, according to estimates from the publishing-services company Clarivate Analytics. Egypt and Pakistan topped the list in percentage terms, with rises of 21% and 15.9%, respectively.

China’s publications rose by about 15%, and India, Brazil, Mexico and Iran all saw their output grow by more than 8% compared with 2017 (See ‘Countries with biggest rises in research output’).

Globally, research output rose by around 5% in 2018, to an estimated 1,620,731 papers listed in a vast science-citation database Web of Science, the highest ever (see ‘Research output rose again in 2018’).

• TranscendingGod likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Elon Musk's near-meltdown was a real surprise. 

• eacao and Yuli Ban like this

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,118 posts

The decision by Lord St. ELON to build the Holy BFS from stainless steel and fast-track its construction was very unpredicted.

• eacao and Yuli Ban like this

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

This goes back to my question, originally posited -not as a question- in my thread about the next industrial revolution equivalent, about what sort of effect this will have on progress. Will we begin to see noticeable advancements in scientific and technological progress? In other words this has to mean something right? Will we begin to solve big problems like aging and fusion at a more rapid pace? Will we see revolutionary technologies emerge at more frequent intervals? Will mathematical, physics, and biological problems be solved more frequently? Will they be discovered with more rapidity? Will novel engineering techniques emerge? Will new materials come into the fore? Will we see these advancements coming from places other than the usual suspects? Will we see more Nobel prize winners from different parts of the world?

Are we already seeing this? Am I just not catching on because most of the stuff I view is curated from a western perspective and from western sources? I know that China is making strides and surpassing even the United States in things like quantum encryption and the like but this surely must be only a morsel of what is actually happening. How can i arrest my ignorance before it grows in the face of such exponential growth from other countries?

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Not for me though.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

What meltdown? Smoking pot is a'ok in my book. The guy kicked ass with space-x throughout this year big time.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts

The decision by Lord St. ELON to build the Holy BFS from stainless steel and fast-track its construction was very unpredicted.

One of the reasons why there was no melt down and in fact Elon came out ahead this year.

• Jakob likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

What meltdown? Smoking pot is a'ok in my book. The guy kicked ass with space-x throughout this year big time.

He baselessly accused a man of being a pedophile (which could have led to him being charged with libel), lied to investors (and was lucky to come away as undamaged as he did), and had federal investigators about to pounce on him. Did you just miss all that?

• Sciencerocks likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts

He baselessly accused a man of being a pedophile (which could have led to him being charged with libel), lied to investors (and was lucky to come away as undamaged as he did), and had federal investigators about to pounce on him. Did you just miss all that?

I wasn't thinking about that. Not exactly following the business side of things when it comes to musk, just the science.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

What's worse is that his "business" is constantly unprofitable. So far, he's afloat thanks to his skillfully built cult of personality and, as result, new and new injections from investors. "my new, even greater than before, masterpieces of invention are already on the way, just give me more time (and money)".

This tactic cannot last forever.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

What's worse is that his "business" is constantly unprofitable. So far, he's afloat thanks to his skillfully built cult of personality and, as result, new and new injections from investors. "my new, even greater than before, masterpieces of invention are already on the way, just give me more time (and money)".

I think you're underselling him greatly. The Tesla Model 3 has been a big success, even if he didn't meet some of his own goals on the timeline he expected. The PowerWall is a great product that can reduce energy bills by more than 90 percent. SpaceX and the Hyperloop are both progressing at a fair, normal rate; it might be taking a number of years to get things off the ground, but large projects often do. All pretty damn amazing stuff considering how much smaller his company was just 10 years ago. He doesn't have a perfect track record, but to say that he's nothing but hot air and that he has no successes or accomplishments under his belt is just wrong.

• Raklian and Erowind like this

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

SpaceX is hardly progressing at a "normal rate". The rate of progress is unparalleled except for maybe the Apollo program and it's Russian counterpart.

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
I haven't really been paying attention so far since I don't think internet connections are supposed to begin being provided until '19, that was basically just my way of saying that things are going smoothly.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,569 posts

In the long run, we are all dead.

- John Maynard Keynes

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts

SpaceX is hardly progressing at a "normal rate". The rate of progress is unparalleled except for maybe the Apollo program and it's Russian counterpart.

This just shows how profitable space can be in the mid to long term...The world relies on satellites, gps and in the future will find itself needing more rare metals and enjoying a growing tourist industry.

Elon see's this.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,569 posts

7 things health experts said were good for you in 2018

https://theweek.com/...-said-good-2018

Extract (and comments)

1. Organic foods may reduce cancer risk.

2. Holding hands can reduce physical pain.

3. Saunas could be as beneficial for your heart as moderate exercise. (no big surprise there, at least not for me – caltrek)

4. Full-fat dairy may help protect against heart disease and stroke. (Now there is a mirror image of what they use to say in the good old days –caltrek)

5. To-do lists could help you sleep. (I could have predicted that one. An old technique for me – caltrek)

6. Leg exercises appear to be crucial for brain health. (Again, no surprise, I am a believer that any exercise can be good for the brain - caltrek).

7. Turmeric could help improve memory and ease depression among those with age-related mental decline. (My wife and her research lets me give her five stars for her prediciton on this one,  probably because the literature on this was highly suggestive before 2018. – caltrek).

So, anyway, I am kicking myself for not actually predicting these recommendations in advance.

...and while we are at it:  https://theweek.com/...s-said-bad-2018

BlazingRocket

BlazingRocket

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

The North Korea-US summit was very much unpredicted. By the way things were looking in 2017, it seemed like war was on the horizon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Science, Technology, Scientific Research, 2018

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users