Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How was 2018 for you?

2018 year year in review review summary

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,143 posts
  • LocationLondon

For me, it was better than 2017, but only slightly.

It started out well, but the middle of the year was depressing and dreary. However, things improved greatly after that. The last couple of months have been awesome, as I've felt a lot happier and more confident. I hope this continues into 2019.

Let's start with the bad points, and finish with the good!

Bad points:

– Ongoing health issues, specifically my left eye. Although I had it treated in hospital, it didn't heal 100% and I may have to return.

– The growing realisation that I'm approaching middle age. 2018 is my last "full" year of being young, as I'll be 40 next March.

– Horrendous and long-lasting heatwave in the UK, unbearable at times.

– The middle of the year just sucked, for some reason. Lack of variety or significant events, perhaps. Lack of social life. Just "meh".

– Problems in my flat. Washing machine problems, frozen pipes in winter, and then I accidentally shattered the main door/window!

– The daily insanity of Brexit.

Good points:

– I became an uncle, for the 3rd time!

– Improvement in website traffic/revenue, after the responsive launch.

– I've been thoroughly enjoying Elite: Dangerous and the various new features.

– I watched some great TV shows (Vikings, The Man in the High Castle, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, etc.)

– My new phone is freaking awesome (Samsung Galaxy S9).

– I attended the People's Vote march in central London.

– Went to the Royal Institution for a lecture on AI.

– I did tons of exercise and lost weight (although I've probably gained it back, following my Christmas food binge!)

– I got laid (but only once...) :biggrin:

• Casey, Outlook and Erowind like this

Singularity Kills

Singularity Kills

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I'm with you on the age front, I'm 40 in April and just a child growing older.

In fairness its been a very positive year. Lots of work lots of travelling.

Hope 2019 will be even better.

• wjfox likes this

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Why didn't you wait till next year to lose your virginity? They you could have been the 40 year old virgin! 

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

This year was very turbulent, but I'm happy with it. Could've turned out much worse. Gained a lot of wisdom and perspective, which is all I ask for in life. All in all, I'm hoping 2019 will be the year of stoic change for me. I hope to embrace apathy as my default mood.

• Erowind likes this

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/6S20mJvr4vs

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 13,171 posts

Well, decent as I have a daughter on the way after trying for 5 years only to find out that my wife had something that needed to be removed that was preventing her from becoming pregnant. And My mom is still alive even after having cancer a few years ago and she was told that she wouldn't be pretty much by doctors.

So I guess a decent year personally...

• wjfox, Casey and Erowind like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,308 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Better than 2017, which was better than 2016, which was better than 2015, which was better than 2014, which was way better than 2013. 2013 can get fucked.

• wjfox, Casey and Erowind like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

Fighting Corporations since 2020

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationNot in Kansas anymore

Pretty good year for me.  I was accepted into a residential academy where I will serve the rest of my high school career and should greatly improve my college choices.  I'm on track to get my Eagle Scout and possibly serve as a page in the Indiana Senate next year.  If I can pad my college app enough, keep my gpa up, and score well on the SATs, I might even get into Georgetown! (my dream college)

• wjfox and Casey like this

John Lennon dares you to make sense of this

Spoiler

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,143 posts
  • LocationLondon

Why didn't you wait till next year to lose your virginity? They you could have been the 40 year old virgin!

Oh, I didn't lose my virginity this year. That happened ages ago. :)
  • Casey likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,143 posts
  • LocationLondon

This year was very turbulent, but I'm happy with it. Could've turned out much worse. Gained a lot of wisdom and perspective, which is all I ask for in life. All in all, I'm hoping 2019 will be the year of stoic change for me. I hope to embrace apathy as my default mood.

Interesting. Why would you want to embrace apathy?

Future historian

Future historian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
I reached a count of 11 girls banged friends found out I did something gay and I had a mental breakdown.
In 2019 I want to see lawyers to make sure I can travel with my criminal record and do so also make 5k usd a month from a online business get back into pua ect

Future historian

Future historian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
My mate Tony banged 108 girls this year and he is a short asain i think he did low quality quite a bit tho

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Oh, I didn't lose my virginity this year. That happened ages ago. :)

I know it was supposed to be a (bad) joke.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Possibly the worst/best year of my life. Worst in terms of health almost certainly but maybe the best in that I feel i'm still heading in the right direction when it comes to life in general. Also of course seeing all the progress being made turned it into a good year.

Future historian

Future historian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Possibly the worst/best year of my life. Worst in terms of health almost certainly but maybe the best in that I feel i'm still heading in the right direction when it comes to life in general. Also of course seeing all the progress being made turned it into a good year.

Yeah I have felt terrible this year as well but I sense a turning in the wind

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

2018 was one of the most rewarding and painful years of my life thus far. I expect 2019 to be less interesting, slightly depressing, but overall happier than almost any year prior to 2018.

I'm struggling with not having enough money for school right now. And not knowing how to really interact with the world as a result. I Would rather die than work for these businesses I hate, doubt it will come to that though. (I'd sooner move to a commune or freelance.) I'm holding out for another bull market in cryptocurrency which will likely happen at some point in the next 3-7 years. But I don't want to be the 27 year old freshmen either. I should have sold a fraction of my holdings on the way down last year. My eyes were too set on financial independence without realizing how frustrating not being able to continue my life goals would be. I'm still up significantly even in this market panic, but not up enough to pay 40K yearly tuition anymore. 

/rant start

Outside of financial struggles I'm very frustrated with relationship prospects right now. It's not that I expect anyone to date me as if I'm entitled to their bodies like an incel would claim. It's more that I'm upset with the lack of bandwidth between me and other people that provide the opportunity for me and potential partners to mutually want to date. I felt chemistry with five people this past year. One of them I was in a short relationship with, which ended due to them breaking up with their primary partner and needing space. Polyamory is complicated, it's fine, we're still friends and I probably needed some space too. Point is, the other four people were so fleeting.

It's like we were ships passing in the night, unable for one reason or another to be able to spend more than an hour or two with each other once every few weeks at most. As a result I was unable to form a real bond. I take things very slow when it comes to potential partners. The pool of potential partners is so small because my peer groups are largely grad students and people out of college. The kids at community college are more trouble than they're worth. Most of them are struggling in life one way or another--and aren't really ready for relationships--and I don't have the capacity to be a rock for anyone right now, nor desire to be, so I'm left stranded, alone. What I need are mutually emotionally supportive but casual short-to-medium term relationships. One day in the future I can start thinking about long term ones. I can offer a lot of emotional support to people, but I can't be their total solution in life, only a part of it. They need to have some personal ambition outside of their partner too. 

This mentality that prince charming is coming to save folks needs to die. It's an immediate turnoff. Relationships are far too dynamic to claim that one can simply declare they'll know they'll still be in love 50 years later. That's not to say people shouldn't mutually grow together, support each other and try their absolute best to make things work as much as possible. That's not to say that the first signs of conflict, or even some sustained conflict should end a relationship. It's just a realistically morbid recognition that no one can speak for themselves on such a timeframe--that permanent marriage as a concept is dangerous and often causes great pain. More importantly when someone tells me their sole goal in life is to meet their soulmate and live happily ever after it's a sign that they don't really understand relationships, nor have put much thought into them outside of what puritan rooted American culture has imposed on them. (I'm not saying I completely understand them either, but claiming marriage is the total answer is equivalent to saying one does understand how they should ideally work in all circumstance.)

Moreover this mentality leads to other toxic behaviors. Take two men who love the same girl. Then say the girl actually loves them both too. This culture, holding monogamy as sacred and rooting the practice in scripture decries this as blasphemy. Through the trickle down of culture it teaches both of those men--compounded by other toxic masculine behaviors--that they should want to fucking kill each other over her. It's absurd. Now, I'm not saying everything is going to be super easy. But doesn't this seem like a beautiful opportunity that's being thrown away? The two men in question share something very special in common, that they would never share with anyone else. They both think this girl is the coolest person on the planet. From my perspective they should be able to bond over that in a very unique way. But no, let's just give them swords and watch. 

I'm in this weird limbo land where I'm not quite an adult and I'm not quite an adolescent either. I'd feel weird dating most people from community college my age because my maturity level is leaps and bounds beyond their own. For the same reasons I'd feel weird dating a lot of grad students and older folks because their maturity level is leaps and bounds above my own. 

/rant end

In any case though. Last year was really good overall. I'm not as depressed as I once was, although that can always change. I've finally gained the confidence to apply to schools, and am working on my activist and artistic projects more than I ever have in the past. I've also made many wonderful new friends, and lost a group of old problematic ones. 

My sleep also never recovered from cramming for classes a few semesters back. I've been a night owl ever since having to wake up at 6am for a chemistry class at 7am and taking a physics class that lasted until 10pm. I got less than 4 hours of sleep for months because I need at least an hour to wind down before bed at home. Those were the only options. My school is so filled with administrative bloat (funded by taxes) that the only physics class was at night and the only chem class in the morning. I also took two math classes that semester. It's as if some colleges are designed to kill you.  

Next year probably won't be that turbulent in comparison. I came out of the closet in 2018 and completely restructured most of my platonic relationships. This was very painful but very rewarding. This coming year I'll be dedicating all my energy to art, philosophy, investing, activism, friendship and maybe freelancing. Hopefully come 2020 or 2021 I'll have some answers as to what I need to do with myself. 

• rennerpetey likes this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Follow up post. 

I'm realizing that my little anti-marriage rant up there could come of as very aggressive and vindictive. I'm sorry if it offends anyone here. I don't think you're a terrible person if you're married or monogamous. And I completely recognize that monogamy can develop in a very healthy and organic way too. If you are monogamous and or married I wish you all the luck and genuinely hope your relationship succeeds. 

These feelings come from reading up on the topic, having in depth talks with both monogamous and polyamorous people and personal experience. The vast majority of my friends parents including my own are divorced. And more than that, I've seen many toxic relationships cause a lot harm due to monogamous jealously driven dynamics. That's not to say poly people don't get jealous, we do, but we do our best to handle it differently. We very much dislike the idea of having the right to control how someone else uses their body or gives access to it. I've been fortunate enough to remain friends with both people I was once intimate with and hope to keep that trend going. 

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

waitingforthe2020s

waitingforthe2020s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWisconsin.

I got a job, which I have been at for six months.

Things have been alright, but I'm pretty much the same person as I was last year.

We are either completely screwed or we are not. That's just how it is.

Omosoap

Omosoap

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Ended the year last year with my grandmother's death, continued strained relationships with my family (to some extent), school - large break and then doing okay now, work - only full time person in my position for pretty much the entire year, so it's been stressful (though I have a good boss), spiritual stuff (always an adventure - sometimes I'm a fool, sometimes I'm wiser), physical health - lost some weight then have just maintained (fingers crossed I lose more next year), personal goals (meh, I work on them when I can), one of my two goldfish died (eh, I gave them a good life, but I went in way over my head, didn't realize fish were so much work 5 years ago), got a new comp with better specs to play better games (which is awesome), finding the time to play games and do other stuff is an entirely different matter, household chores are always behind schedule, finances could be better, but I'm at least not completely living paycheck to paycheck, and still with my one partner and committed to working through anything that comes up, good or bad. 

• wjfox likes this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Interesting. Why would you want to embrace apathy?

Part of being a stoic is never carrying yourself too far emotionally so that you become debased and irrational in action. Apathy is like that middle emotion that is never affected either by pain or pleasure.

• rennerpetey likes this

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/6S20mJvr4vs

LIlly_Dewan

LIlly_Dewan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

I can point out health problems, and car accident among bad point.  :( 

What's about positive ones, I got a jog, buy new phone, and my boyfriend gave me a dog :yahoo:   

• Casey likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2018, year, year in review, review, summary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users