Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Future Timeline forums Mars meet-up

Mars Space exploration Colonisation Interplanetary travel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationUK

I thought it would be cool to plan a meet-up on Mars for current members of the forum - if and when we get there. It might be a fun exercise for gauging how people see the development of human habitation of Mars and at what point people think it is likely that most of us can afford to and are willing to commit to a trip to Mars.

Who knows? - If we keep this going on subsequent iterations of the forums and we do the meet-up at some point (however unlikely that may be), I think it would be entertaining to look back on and say that we had planned the trip many years ago. 

I'll start off with a suggested date for the meeting and please give your own suggested date and rationale. I'll suggest the 21st of July, 2045. 21st of July as it's the date humans first stepped on the moon and 2045 as it's the year Ray Kurzweil originally predicted the singularity will have happened. 

I also suggest that plus-ones, including androids, are welcome to attend the meeting. Also wjfox has to get the first round of drinks. 

• wjfox, Casey and FrogCAT like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,068 posts
  • LocationLondon

The meeting place should be called Underhill. :)

• Zaphod and FrogCAT like this

FrogCAT

FrogCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationHere

What a wonderful idea, I'll be there for sure!

• wjfox and Zaphod like this

"That's me inside your head."   "The kids are Alt-Right today!"   "And when we fall, we will fall together."

"Come senators, congressmen, please heed the call...Don't stand in the doorway, don't block up the hall."  

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

If i'm not dead... count me in.

• Zaphod likes this

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationUK

The meeting place should be called Underhill. :)

Thinking of the Mars trilogy, do you think the martian calendar will become popular to people on Mars or will we keep more in sync with the Earth calendar? To start with I think people will mostly think in terms of Earth time, but as the colonies become more self-sufficient it will change.

• wjfox likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,068 posts
  • LocationLondon

To start with I think people will mostly think in terms of Earth time, but as the colonies become more self-sufficient it will change.

Yeah, agreed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mars, Space exploration, Colonisation, Interplanetary travel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users