Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Did An Illegal CIA Operation Bring Us 9/11?

9/11/2001 CIA FBI counterterrorism George Tenet NSA

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts

The illegal CIA operation that may have brought us 9/11

https://www.alternet...rought-us-9-11/

Introduction:

(Alternet) Was it conspiracy or idiocy that led to the failure of U.S. intelligence agencies to detect and prevent the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon headquarters? That’s one of the questions at the heart of “The Watchdogs Didn’t Bark: The CIA, NSA, and the Crimes of the War on Terror,” by John Duffy and Ray Nowosielski. In their careful and thorough investigation of the events leading up to the attacks, the authors uncover a story about the Central Intelligence Agency’s neglect, possible criminal activities and a cover-up that may have allowed al-Qaida to carry out its plans uninhibited by government officials.

In the latest installment of “Scheer Intelligence,” the journalists tell Truthdig Editor in Chief Robert Scheer how an interview with Richard Clarke, the counterterror adviser to Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, led them to a jaw-dropping revelation regarding two hijackers involved in the infamous attacks. As it turns out, Khalid Muhammad Abdallah al-Mihdhar and Nawaf al-Hazmi, two men linked to al-Qaida, were staying at an FBI informant’s home in San Diego in 2000, and they were being tracked by the National Security Agency. Despite knowledge of the men’s ties to the terrorist organization responsible for 9/11, neither was investigated by the FBI. Clarke and others believe that this may have had to do with a CIA attempt to turn the two men into agency informants.

9795c238811648f9949976678a8e6ac1-36558-1

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

So... the authors seem to be suggesting that a CIA that does a proper job spying and protecting the U.S.  is a good thing (and neglecting these duties, bad)?  Doesn't sound like the kind of thing the casual Alternet reader would go for.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,215 posts

Did you read the article?

What they did was a "proper job"?

Seriously?

As an Alternet reader, I can say that legitimate spying efforts aimed at self-defense are not particularly alarming.  Incompetent bungling in violation of the law is another matter.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

You totally misunderstand what I'm saying. Zhoom!... right over your head.

What I'm saying is that they are saying:

* A CIA that does its job and protects the U.S. is GOOD;

* But, a CIA that doesn't do its job, by trying to turn these two hijackers into informants, is BAD.

The authors of the book WANT a CIA that does its job, and takes protection of the US into consideration.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,215 posts

Didn't go over my head. That is what I am saying. Yor generalisation as to what an Alternet reader might "go for" was at the bottom of my objection.  Do you think the typical Alternet reader would agree with the two of us, or don't you?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 9/11/2001, CIA, FBI, counterterrorism, George Tenet, NSA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users