Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How big do you think the universe REALLY is

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Right now we can see a universe that is 93 billion light years across but this is only what we can see. The unobservable universe is likely much bigger.

According to this article the universe must be at least 23 trillion light years in diameter.

https://www.google.c...e-universe/amp/

Or possibly even more. This is mind boggling that existence is so huge. It doesn’t make sense to have all this stuff if none of it can be observed. Anyways, how big do YOU think the universe is? I personally don’t believe anything is infinite and that everything has a limit so I’m guessing at 100 trillion light years in diameter. 2 more questions. 1. Will all this extra space contain trillions more galaxies and 2. When James Webb finally launches in 2 years, will this question be answered (at least partially)?
  • Yuli Ban likes this

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,016 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

As far as we know, it doesn't have a definable size in terms of volume area with some sort of boundary bordering it.

When scientists talk about the Universe having a diameter, they're just speaking of the distance light traveled across space-time. That is known as the observable universe.

And then there's the global universe which is concerned with the following questions:

Is it finite or infinite?

Is it flat (no curvature), open (negative curvature), or closed (positive curvature)?

What is its connectivity (how the universe is put together), i.e., simply connected space or multiply connected?

As you can see, it's way more complicated than it seems.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users