Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Observations That Confirm(ed) Einstein's Theory of Relativity

Einstein Theory of Relativity Gravity lensing Astronomy Physics Objective Reality The Scientific Method

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts

I finished re-reading Thomas Kuhn’s The Essential Tension a week or so ago.  One comment that struck me as fascinating was how at the time of the publishing of that book there was actually very little in the way of actual experimental and observational confirmation of Einstein’s Theory of Relativity. What was fascinating about that comment is that, from my layman’s perspective as a casual reader of science, it seems like a great many subsequent announcements have come forth that actually do confirm Einstein’s Theory.  So, I thought it would be fun to start a thread reviewing some of those announcements. 

Because I did not want to confine myself to recent announcements, I have elected to put this thread in the History forum.  However, if any of you come across new announcements, please feel free to share them with us here.

Now, I suppose anybody with an interest in this topic could otherwise do what I did – type into their search engine something like “confirmation of Einstein’s Theory of Relativity.”  My purpose in starting this thread is also to make a point about how science advances.  That is to say how theories help us to better understand the universe in which we reside, but also how a scientific approach can help us increase our confidence in our understanding.

This is becoming increasingly critical at this time in our history.  Philosophical relativism and de-constructionist ideas have caused a widespread misunderstanding of how humans can come to better understand reality.  That is to say, issues such as global warming have been confused by many with an attitude that nothing is really knowable, that all “knowledge” is culturally specific, that therefore humans who believe in the problems of global warming belong to a group who are led by folks who have ulterior and sinister reasons for their belief, etc.

All of this is thus an indirect way of junking the whole scientific method. Put another way, scientists are thought of as just belonging to another group of people who are just as ignorant about “objective” reality as the rest of humanity.  Ironically, skeptics of Kuhn accused him of doing just that.  In The Essential Tension Kuhn argues that this accusation was based on a horrible misreading of his The Structure of Scientific Revolutions .

My hope is that understanding how something like the Theory of Relativity can be confirmed through further observation and experimentation will develop a new found appreciation for science. The kind of science that Kuhn wrote about.

First up, by way of articles on this topic:

New confirmation of Einstein's General Theory of Relativity

(Phys.org) Albert Einstein predicted that whenever light from a distant star passes by a closer object, gravity acts as a kind of magnifying lens, brightening and bending the distant starlight. Yet, in a 1936 article in the journal Science, he added that because stars are so far apart "there is no hope of observing this phenomenon directly."

Now, an international research team directed by Kailash C. Sahu has done just that, as described in their June 9, 2017 article in Science. The study is believed to be the first report of a particular type of Einstein's "gravitational microlensing" by a star other than the sun.

Read more at: https://phys.org/new...tivity.html#jCp

• Yuli Ban and Outlook like this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts

https://en.wikipedia...sell_Alan_Hulse

(Wikipedia) In 1974, (Russell Alan) Hulse and Taylor discovered binary pulsar PSR B1913+16, which is made up of a pulsar and black companion starNeutron star rotation emits impulses that are extremely regular and stable in the radio wave region and is nearby condensed material body gravitation (non-detectable in the visible field). Hulse, Taylor, and other colleagues have used this first binary pulsar to make high-precision tests of general relativity, demonstrating the existence of gravitational radiation. An approximation of this radiant energy is described by the formula of the quadrupolar radiation of Albert Einstein (1918).

https://en.wikipedia...eral_relativity

(Wikipedia) Beginning in 1974, HulseTaylor and others have studied the behaviour of binary pulsars experiencing much stronger gravitational fields than those found in the Solar System. Both in the weak field limit (as in the Solar System) and with the stronger fields present in systems of binary pulsars the predictions of general relativity have been extremely well tested locally.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Einstein, Theory of Relativity, Gravity lensing, Astronomy, Physics, Objective Reality, The Scientific Method

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users