Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Research talk I went to

ai machine learning research video games

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,117 posts

Earlier today, Matthew Guzdial from Georgia Tech gave a research seminar at my university. It was really interesting and surprisingly accessible, he talked about his work training an AI to design video games (Not play them. Design them.) Yuli and Starspawn are talking a lot about this sort of creative AI, so it seemed appropriate to post here. Some technical details were discussed, but it's late, so I can talk about those tomorrow if anyone is interested. Or you can just read the paper.

Some links on this topic:

This Algorithm Makes Its Own Video Games

AI learns to re-create Super Mario Bros. by watching someone else play it

Relevant paper

• Yuli Ban, Omosoap, Erowind and 2 others like this

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

From your point of view Jakob. How long do you think it will be before someone with no coding or game making ability will be able to input a few parameters, some seed games and have an algorithm pump out a shiny new 8-bit platformer for them? 

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,117 posts

From your point of view Jakob. How long do you think it will be before someone with no coding or game making ability will be able to input a few parameters, some seed games and have an algorithm pump out a shiny new 8-bit platformer for them? 

Maybe 5 years? He demoed a Unity plugin where a game designer could take turns with the AI at adding features while designing levels. But that probably takes some level of game design knowledge to use effectively.

• Erowind likes this

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

That's really exciting. I can't wait to see the websites filled with little indie games. Once these algorithms get more advanced I can imagine websites filled with 1000s of games made by AI in the same way that flash game sites used to be big a decade ago. 

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ai, machine learning, research, video games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users