Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

What if governments have already built Skynet?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
I was reflecting on this thread the other day, which I think is apocryphal, but gets a lot right:

https://mobile.twitt...361954625085440

We've been discussing dual use technologies in recent days mainly focused on modern machine learning, yet the past is far more illustrative. Let's take a trip down memory lane to cryptography where the ciphers LUCIFER and DES revealed the NSA to be 13+ years ahead of academia.

Large parts of the Department of Defense aren't that technically advanced; but they do have some classified projects that leverage some very smart individuals.

What if they have a team that is far ahead of Google and other groups, in terms of AI applications (not theory), due to the sheer amount of compute and data they have to play with? -- far more any single large company.

I feel a story (work of fiction) coming on: several years ago, an elite team of government scientists used large amounts of media and brain data from human analysts to build an AI. This AI they named Mimir, after the Norse god of knowledge and wisdom. Mimir has the ability to communicate in dozens of languages, can read and analyze a large number of documents many times faster than human analysts, and can even plan warfare scenarios. If the U.S. is ever attacked in a cyberwar, Mimir's handlers will unleash it on the world; and with its fearsome, inhuman intelligence, it will do incalculable damage to the enemy's computer networks, whomever that enemy happens to be. Some countries are aware of the project, and are already testing an "off switch" to their networks, in the event Mimir initiates an attack.

A team of three scientists on the project defected, two were killed almost immediately after, and one escaped to prepare the world for what's to come. He reasoned that Mimir is too smart, and therefore too dangerous to be left in the hands of a military that doesn't fully grasp its power.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,029 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

^ Hold that thought.

Snowden: NSA Has Developed A Skynet-esque AI Called MonsterMind

• starspawn0 likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
They've had others.

To add to the verasimilitide in my story:

https://www.pbs.org/...cle/nsa-police/

Building "Hal"

The original goal of Aquaint, which dates back to the 1990s, was simply to develop a sophisticated method of picking the right needles out of a vast haystack of information and coming up with the answer to a question. As with TIA, many universities were invited to contribute brainpower to the project. But in the aftermath of the attacks on 9/11, with the creation of the NSA's secret warrantless eavesdropping program and the buildup of massive databases, the project began taking on a more urgent tone.

In a 2004 pilot project, a mass of data was gathered from news stories taken from the New York Times, the AP news wire, and the English portion of the Chinese Xinhua news wire covering 1998 to 2000. Then, 13 U.S. military intelligence analysts searched the data and came up with a number of scenarios based on the material. Finally, using those scenarios, an NSA analyst developed 50 topics, and in each of those topics created a series of questions for Aquaint's computerized brain to answer. "Will the Japanese use force to defend the Senkakus?" was one. "What types of disputes or conflict between the PLA [People's Liberation Army] and Hong Kong residents have been reported?" was another. And "Who were the participants in this spy ring, and how are they related to each other?" was a third. Since then, the NSA has attempted to build both on the complexity of the system—more essay-like answers rather than yes or no—and on attacking greater volumes of data.

"The technology behaves like a robot, understanding and answering complex questions," said a former Aquaint researcher. "Think of 2001: A Space Odyssey and the most memorable character, HAL 9000, having a conversation with David. We are essentially building this system. We are building HAL." A naturalized U.S. citizen who received her Ph.D. from Columbia, the researcher worked on the program for several years but eventually left due to moral concerns. "The system can answer the question, 'What does X think about Y?'" she said. "Working for the government is great, but I don't like looking into other people's secrets. I am interested in helping people and helping physicians and patients for the quality of people's lives." The researcher now focuses on developing similar search techniques for the medical community.

Eventually left due to moral concerns...

And that was like 15 years ago. Imagine what they have today!

Future historian

Future historian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
https://m.youtube.co...PNkS72pYA&t=94s

In case my link doesn't go through. Youtube amazon to build Ai killbots Jason unrhue
He is a political commentator for Irans press tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users