Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

History of Society & Demographics

society demographics Neolithic civilization failed civilization nomadic tribes social trends societal development population

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

I didn't knew where to post, so I'll post it here.

Self-isolation gives one a lot of time for reading. Today I've read the long article about so-called Volga-Ural culture that gave the mixed feeling of pride and sadness.

There was the advanced Bronze Age society that flourished exactly in my region, the society that invented and used the war chariots in 22-20 centuries BC, for few centuries before Middle East, the society of skilled metal workers already building the proto urban settlements (South Urals is known as "land of cities" in Russian archaeology). The society that was just one step from evolving into full scale ancient civilization similar to Mycenian Greece.

But this last step was never made. The land they lived in was more favorable to pastoralism than to farming. Eventually, most of them evolved into nomads. They didn't forget their high technologies of metal working, but in other regards they regressed and their early cities were abandoned.

The sad fact is that from the contemporary person's point of view, this wasn't regress at all: judging by the burials, their new nomadic life became more peaceful (less weapon and more everyday's stuff in graves) and more egalitarian (no more difference between rich and poor graves). But their chance to build a civilization was missed and their "land of cities" became an example of "what could have been if...". Even their very name is unknown.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Interesting infografics found in twitter. The growing secularism in Arab world. Morroco and Egypt are especially impressive: the number of non-religious people have grown by 3-4 times within less than decade.

The only exception was Yemen where secular-minded population declined from 11,7 to 4,8 percent. Was it the result of war? Other hand, in Libya even the endless civil war was unable to stop the victorius march of secularism:

EHPmsQIXkAY7d0K.jpg

Did secularism in Libya become significantly stronger as a result of the civil war there over the last several years?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: society, demographics, Neolithic, civilization, failed civilization, nomadic, tribes, social trends, societal development, population

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users