Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New book supporting the Simulation Hypothesis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Rizwan Virk, a computer scientist and video game designer, has just released a new book, The Simulation Hypothesis, that explores Bostrom’s argument in much greater detail and traces the path from today’s technology to what he calls the “Simulation Point,” the moment at which we could realistically build a Matrix-like simulation.

https://www.vox.com/...rix-rizwan-virk

He graduated from MIT and Stanford, and is a wealthy tech entrepreneur living in the Bay Area. 

https://www.bloomber...capId=257430804

• Enda Kurina and starspawn0 like this

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Taking this opportunity to point out that the simulation hypothesis is a philosophical, not scientific hypothesis. Moreover variations of the idea date back far before Bostrom from Descartes to antiquity. It's also worth saying that anthropic reasoning is inherently unscientific, meaning, from a scientific perspective the simulation hypothesis is categorically rejected. 

I'm bothering to say this because I'm tired of popular "science" media making headlines akin to, "SCIENTISTS prove universe is a simulation!"

• Outlook and funkervogt like this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Right. I find the Simulation Hypothesis intriguing, and I keep meaning to read either Bostrom's essay or this new book to learn more about the reasoning for it, but from the beginning, I've been skeptical since it's obviously an untestable hypothesis. No matter how eloquent or complex the arguments in the Hypothesis' favor are, they can't get around that basic roadblock. 

• Erowind likes this

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

It's conceivable that in the distant future we will have simulations indistinguishable from reality, but there is no way to measure the probability that our world is a simulation.  It's not that there exists a way to measure and we are just uncertain about the constants that go into the calculations; rather, given the assumptions of Bostrom, and assuming infinitely many worlds (potential infinities suffice), you reach a contradiction.

It comes down to the same problem inherent in saying "pick a random number" while assuming all numbers are equiprobable.  

You must weight the numbers differently in order to have a probability measure.

Part of the problem here is trying to put this into a probabilistic framework.  You can probably still say something useful without trying to invoke probabilities.  You can probably define some weaker notion of "occurrability".

• Erowind likes this

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Right. I find the Simulation Hypothesis intriguing, and I keep meaning to read either Bostrom's essay or this new book to learn more about the reasoning for it, but from the beginning, I've been skeptical since it's obviously an untestable hypothesis. No matter how eloquent or complex the arguments in the Hypothesis' favor are, they can't get around that basic roadblock. 

Absolutely. The idea is still a very interesting and sound one. I've been meaning to get around to reading Bostrom. Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies has been on my reading list for a year now.

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users