Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Kurzweil video -- Is old age taking its toll? Or just tired?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
https://youtu.be/Wt8fki3GkC4

A Kurzweil fan pointed this out:

So, I have been wondering for a while now why the cadence of Ray's public appearances seems to have plummeted in the past several months, so this may well be a case of confirmation bias -- in fact, I hope this to be the case, as it gives me no pleasure to say this -- but it appears Ray may be developing early symptoms of Alzheimer's. Examples of what I mean:

45m43s: Stuttering, long pauses between sentences, repeating words, mixes up inflationary/deflationary etc. This is a common pattern throughout the whole talk, which is considerably slower paced than Ray's previous lectures.

58m30s: In discussing AlphaFold protein folding, Ray contemplates for a long time, then refers to it as "neural unfolding, which is a very important problem in biology. Each neuron puts out a linear sequence of amino acids." A very strange mistake to make.

1h3m26s: Pauses for ~7s for no apparent reason.

Et cetera, et cetera. Mind you, this is coming from someone who has seen literally hundreds of Kurzweil talks. Make of it what you will.

• Yuli Ban likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,294 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Kurzweil is in his seventies and he presumably drugs himself with dozens of nootropics and other sorts of pills daily. He's not a transhuman cyborg or a godlike intelligence; he's just a man who had modern history's most legendary midlife crisis. It would be surprising if he were still as active as he used to be.

• wjfox and starspawn0 like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Kurzweil is in his seventies and he presumably drugs himself with dozens of nootropics and other sorts of pills daily. He's not a transhuman cyborg or a godlike intelligence; he's just a man who had modern history's most legendary midlife crisis. It would be surprising if he were still as active as he used to be.

Yeah, this is what a healthy dose of fear of death does to anyone.

• wjfox and Yuli Ban like this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • LocationUK

I've always found it surprising that he uses quite an extreme regimen of pills and nootropics, most of which only have scant scientific evidence of effecting longevity positively. Who knows if this strange cocktail is actually doing more harm than good in some ways? If you ask me, at this stage it is better to stick to the tried-and-tested low-carb, zero sugar diet with lots of vegetables, along with a select few supplements and pills that actually have solid evidence supporting their efficacy. 

• Yuli Ban and Jakob like this

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Yeah, he's definitely very much unlike himself in that video. The most benign explanation is that, yeah, he's simply tired. I can have those exact same problems - losing my train of thought, going quiet for a while - if I wasn't able to fall asleep the night before and have been awake for 24 hours or so, and I'm forty years younger than Kurzweil.

There's nothing impossible about Kurzweil demonstrating early symptoms of Alzheimer's, but it should be pointed out that at his age, Alzheimer's is uncommon - only around six percent. It's a possibility, but not one that would top the list.

• Yuli Ban, starspawn0 and funkervogt like this

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

It sounds more like one of these, than it does Alzheimer's:

1.  Tired.

2.  Mini-stroke.

3.  Aphasia (which can be caused by stroke).

4.  Low blood sugar.

5.  Reduced blood flow to brain (sometimes caused by heart disease).

• Casey and Yuli Ban like this

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

As others have said, I don't see evidence Kurzweil has Alzheimer's disease. He's 71, and like everyone else, he has slowed down mentally and physically with advanced age. Other suggestions attributing his behavior to acute drowsiness or lack of food (maybe he gave this talk late in the afternoon, six hours after lunch) are also good explanations. 

Good Lord, his wig looks bad. 

• Casey likes this

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

The video has now been removed.  I wonder why?  Copyright?

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

The video has now been removed.  I wonder why?  Copyright?

Kurzweil watched it and threw a fit when he realized his wig was so obvious. 

• Casey likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users