Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Robots and gender

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday

Do you think that humanoid robots in the future will have gender? I mean artifitial genitals and gonads so they could be assigned either male or female.

What about robots having gender identity? Will they have this mental feature?

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,080 posts

Do you think that humanoid robots in the future will have gender? I mean artifitial genitals and gonads so they could be assigned either male or female.

Sexbots probably would. It would be a little tricky to use them otherwise.

I suppose theoretically you could if you had AGI, but I really don't see the point of making them think this way. Some might I suppose. There's a very big design space to explore with robotic mental templates.

Ewolf20

Ewolf20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationColumbia,sc

most robots would just be agender or androgynous.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,178 posts

most robots would just be agender or androgynous.

I believe so too as robots don't rely on evolutionary and reproductive forcing. Gender/sex developed as an evolutionary process to precreate and to move social resources around.

Men and women were made different for human survival.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

There is definitely going to be some robots with gender. I don't know if it will be all of them, most of them, or just some of them, but there will definitely exit robots with sexual organs and likely sexual identities. If nothing else because people will want them to mimic humans, but also of course people will make sex bots.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Gender? Or sexuality? Because I guarantee you there will be a lot of gendered robots - gendered in the sense that they're given certain traits that society expects. For example, right now most "sectretary"-style A.I.s like Siri and Alexa are gendered female by default.

I imagine something like a sentient, automatic forklift might be gendered male by its creators - anthropomorphized with a cigar and stubble perhaps, possibly given a gruff Brooklyn or Cockney accent. But what if it didn't feel like the gender it was assigned is the gender it wants?

As far as sexuality, I could only imagine sexbots would be given gonads, or maybe robotic surrogate mothers.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

I think androgynous androids would creep humans out too much, so the androids would be made to mimic the anatomies of males and females. In some cases, these androids would have sexual organs and would be programmed with gender identities. 

Since the gender identities are software-based, the androids could switch them if they or their human owners/companions desired. 

Note: In the future, only a small minority of robots and intelligent machines will be androids. Most of them won't look like humans, or won't even have physical bodies and instead will exist as software alone. 

• CyberMisterBeauty likes this

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,696 posts

Probably very obvious that a robot could change their gender or sexuality way easier than a human can.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Spoiler alert: most robots in the future will look like this:

Spoiler

And this

Spoiler

And this

Spoiler

And this

Spoiler

Some will even look like this:

Spoiler

You ever put a gender on an entire building? Well that's on you. The only way you could gender them is if you're talking to them the same way you might talk to your slow computer today. They won't have any concept of gender or being gendered.

There will be a small few that (thankfully) look like this

Spoiler

And I'm eagerly awaiting the robots that look like this

Spoiler

They'll have that concept, of course, because they may be assistants, service robots, utility robots, or sexbots.

But for the most part, 90% of robots won't need genders. Maybe 5% are going to be physicalized smart assistants with a gendered voice. The rest will be sexbots, who will of course be gendered (though there are a few deviants who are into pure, unadulterated machinery). Maybe 0.1% at most will be biorobots with biological functions that can be considered to have "sexes". 

When we think of "robots", it's easy to think only of bipedal or rolling humanoids, androids indistinguishable from humans, and the T-1000. But almost all robots will be in more specialized settings that won't require a completely humanoid body type and they almost certainly won't interact with humans very often— some robots will be created by other robots, deployed into wherever they're supposed to work, and then eventually be either disassembled or repaired a la Ship of Theseus by yet another robot, never once encountering a human being. Most industrial robots today only need maintenance in that regard. 

There is no need for different genders in these situations. Gender expression is for social purposes among humans and other animals since we are deeply imperfect creatures with no hive mind, no shared learning, and purely biological functions.

• That-Guy, Alislaws and funkervogt like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,696 posts

If automated systems become sentient, they'll probably develop quirks of personality, if not at first then likely over time. I want to see a massive automated mining/quarry complex that wants to paint itself pink and model its drones after dainty unicorns.

• Yuli Ban likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Oh I can see it now

0.jpg

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday

I think androgynous androids would creep humans out too much, so the androids would be made to mimic the anatomies of males and females. In some cases, these androids would have sexual organs and would be programmed with gender identities. 

Since the gender identities are software-based, the androids could switch them if they or their human owners/companions desired. 

Note: In the future, only a small minority of robots and intelligent machines will be androids. Most of them won't look like humans, or won't even have physical bodies and instead will exist as software alone. 

What about a male android who have pretty soft and feminine features like Haku from Naruto(I would create one if I could) or a female android with masculine features like a tall, muscular and hairy woman?

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,080 posts

Ewwwwww. Go away.

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

What about a male android who have pretty soft and feminine features like Haku from Naruto(I would create one if I could) or a female android with masculine features like a tall, muscular and hairy woman?

I'm sure there will be all varieties of androids, including the ones you describe. 

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,696 posts

REEEEEE GET OUT

lmao CMB is an integral part of this forum guy. They ask the questions everyone else is too afraid to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users