Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is the difference between maturity and mental age?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday

Could someone explain me the difference between maturity and mental age since both concepts seens similar to me. There are many children who are more intelligent than many adults and have better cognition as well. It makes more sense that children should be smarter than adults since children have more neurons and connections. Mental disability or retardation is when a person have cognitive and life skills that are significantly lower than the average person but it has several levels that relate it with mental age. For me intelligence have nothing to do with maturity or mental age. A person can be very smart and be childish and immature and vice versa.

So why is mental retardation linked to mental age up to 12 years old? It`s like saying that children aren`t intelligent and that is not true.

So the key question of the topic is why mental age linked to maturity and intelligence since they are very different things? Is it scored based on what people expect about the behavior and way to think of a person of a certain age? For exemple WJFOX is 40 years old now. If he have behaviors that is mostly common for people who are 15-18 years old is he somewhat mental retarded just because of that? I don`t think so. I think that everyone is different and unique in their own way having their own personality.

Another thing: Why the mental age needed for an adult have mental retardation is up to 12 years old?

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

For exemple WJFOX is 40 years old now. If he have behaviors that is mostly common for people who are 15-18 years old is he somewhat mental retarded just because of that? I don`t think so. 

This is either innocence or pure malice.

• wjfox likes this
Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/QAlMaVYIzqw

IMPERATOR!

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,439 posts
  • LocationLondon

If he have behaviors that is mostly common for people who are 15-18 years old

Please provide examples.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,439 posts
  • LocationLondon

Actually, I think I know what happened here.

Cyber keeps posting detailed suggestions and changes for the timeline (both here on the forum, and via PM), expecting me to agree with and implement everything he wants.

He also expects lengthy replies from me – when I simply don't have time to write an essay for literally everything he requests. I already have an office job, plus my evening and weekend work on FT, as well as managing this forum and other stuff.

So when I recently posted two (admittedly rather curt) responses, it seems to have triggered him, as we can see here.

I think his (or her?) English is advanced enough to know what "retarded" actually means, so I don't think he's innocent here. Which means he's just called the Administrator of this website a retard, and I now have to decide what punishment to give him.

Or maybe he could just apologise, and promise to never do this again? After all, that's what a person of the right "maturity and mental age" would do, right? ;)

• Zaphod and CyberMisterBeauty like this

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

For exemple WJFOX...

I now have to decide what punishment to give him.

Well, this was funny...

As for the main question - "What is the difference between maturity and mental age?" - maturity is simply the ability to control your own life and readiness to take responsibility for your actions. So, drinking beer or growing beard or sex with someone else doesn't make you mature. Some people are mature in 15, and some are pretty infantile even in their 40.

Mental age is more vague concept. If "young at heart" means "being passionate and enthusiastic" and "mature" means "being pragmatic and cynical", then I prefer to stay mentally young for as long as possible.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Interesting idea for a threa - 

*reads last paragraph*

What. 

Uh, anyway... assuming you mean 'mental maturity' and 'mental age,' I don't think there's a difference. Those two things sound like synonyms to me. As for retardation, there's nothing wrong with having the intelligence of a six month old when you're six months old, or a three year old when you're three years old, but they are very limiting mental states to be in and not something you'd want to carry with you beyond those points. 

As for whether children are unintelligent, well, yes, kind of, especially depending on which stage of childhood you're talking about. It's possible for a six year old to be wise beyond their years or an eight year old to be a miniature adult, but you generally don't find two or three year olds with those same qualities. They come up short in terms of intelligence by almost any possible metric compared to teenagers and adults, but that's okay. It's cute, they're learning, and the maturation process of seeing someone develop from a blank slate of a newborn into their own complex person is a fascinating one thanks specifically to the fact that someone's infant/toddler self is so much different from the person they become. 

As for 12 year olds, though, even if someone mentally plateaus at age 12, I think that calling that person 'retarded' would be an exaggeration. 12 year olds have poor judgment and limited life experience, but their basic intelligence is largely developed. I'd consider an adult with the cognitive abilities of a 12 year old to be 'dull' or on the lower end of average, not retarded. An adult on par with a 9 or 10 year old would be more what would feel like mental retardation to me, despite any official scientific definitions.

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday

Actually, I think I know what happened here.

Cyber keeps posting detailed suggestions and changes for the timeline (both here on the forum, and via PM), expecting me to agree with and implement everything he wants.

He also expects lengthy replies from me – when I simply don't have time to write an essay for literally everything he requests. I already have an office job, plus my evening and weekend work on FT, as well as managing this forum and other stuff.

So when I recently posted two (admittedly rather curt) responses, it seems to have triggered him, as we can see here.

I think his (or her?) English is advanced enough to know what "retarded" actually means, so I don't think he's innocent here. Which means he's just called the Administrator of this website a retard, and I now have to decide what punishment to give him.

Or maybe he could just apologise, and promise to never do this again? After all, that's what a person of the right "maturity and mental age" would do, right? ;)

Sorry WJFOX, Ididn`t wanted to offend you, I just mentioned you because I wanted an exemple of a behavior that is considered immature for an older person to do in order to understand my topic... You are the oldest in the forum after all...

Are you in doubt if I am a man or a girl? I`m a guy. Everybody knows that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users