Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Failure of tech company cast doubt on "Learn to code" in Appalachia

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

A nonprofit called Mined Minds, promising to teach West Virginians how to write computer code and then get them good-paying jobs, was looking for recruits.

...Many West Virginians like Ms. Frame signed up for Mined Minds, quitting their jobs or dropping out of school for the prized prospect of a stable and lucrative career. But the revival never came.

Almost none of those who signed up for Mined Minds are working in programming now. They described Mined Minds as an erratic operation, where guarantees suddenly evaporated and firings seemed inevitable, leaving people to start over again at the bottom rungs of the wage jobs they had left behind.

Over two dozen former students in West Virginia are pursuing a lawsuit, arguing that Mined Minds was a fraud. Out of the 10 or so people who made it to the final weeks of Ms. Frame’s class in Beckley, only one formally graduated. He is now delivering takeout.

https://www.nytimes....nia-coding.html

I realize this company's dysfunctions aren't representative of how all computer training and coding companies that have invested in Appalachia have acted, but the research I've done indicates that even the more reputable companies have had minimal impact on the communities there. The effort to teach unemployed coal miners to code has failed to live up to the self-generated hype, and will probably continue to do so. 

This is an important example to remember when thinking about the future of human employment in the face of better robots and AIs. 

• Yuli Ban likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,177 posts

I think everything is going to go to shit...We're slowly integrating with the rest of the failure we call the general human species and it is going to be truly ugly.

Enjoy the next 20 or 30 years.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,316 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

^

China's doing well, though. If they did this, it probably would have succeeded.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users