Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

This Website Generates Text via GPT-2. Try it yourself!

OpenAI GPT-2 text synthesis media synthesis online resources

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
*cracks knuckles*

Gfl1QPY.png
  • Zaphod, Yuli Ban, Hyndal_Halcyon and 2 others like this

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/DGe_Sluth3A

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,662 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Why did I make this?

Eddy said, "Here's your glass of warm bilk." My fist exploded across his face. Andy came in talking about screwing every girl in some bullshit lesbian Jewish orgy. I grabbed him and kicked his ragdolled body to the ground, and then punched him out the window in a delirious 24-hit combo.

Andy was dead.

In the meantime, I tried to write the fucking book. I've talked a lot for this book, too, but I haven't managed to do anything for it since. There are a lot of things that have to do with the film that are important to me, but the book is just more about my experience working on it.

It's about what happens when you've had so many crazy, crazy years but then find yourself trapped and alone. It's about all the shit I learned working on the film (as well as reading about people who've gotten away with murder because the people they killed kept coming back out for some other kind of fucking fuckfest) and how you're always ready, at some point, to make your move and go fuck

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

Hahaha, what the hell have I done!

Vladimir Lenin loved Princess Anastasia Romanov. She obsessed him. He desperately wrote to her in 1918, offering her marriage and refuge.

"I have often thought of the beautiful, beautiful and pure Anastasia. Her beauty and purity, the purity and the beauty of her heart – all I think about, all I say on the subject: these are my true feelings for her."

She wrote back to him as long as she could. "I am sorry to know that, owing to the great political situation on my part, I have been obliged to leave Russia for a long time."

'Distant cousins': Anna Pavlovna and Nikolai Solzhenitsyn talk about her life and work Read more

In 1917, the Russian Revolution was still a ways off. The revolution ended the monarchy and ushered in Russian democracy. One of Lenin's most brilliant reforms involved forcing all the old Russian nobility to surrender their estates to the state.

Is Lenin x Anastasia the next great ship? Or will Stalin's jealousy over a bourgeoisie pigdogess stealing his man-whore lead him down a dark path?

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

This website is much too vulgar a display of power.

Jesus Christ returned one day wearing sunglasses and a tuxedo, and announced to the world that he went to Hell to marry Adolf Hitler. The media responded with outrage over his act of hate speech and even tried to have him put on trial for inciting hate. The church's response, predictably, was to threaten his life and shut him up. So naturally you'd think it would go easy on Jesus in the afterlife, right?

Well, no. Jesus is not a saint. He's just a guy. No, that's not really being charitable. He does not really get laid much, and the whole thing is pure satire. But that doesn't diminish your appreciation of his message or his message to be truthful and righteous on earth, for Jesus is a man who does his job for God, and the church knows that.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

My GOD!

I was the king of Kung Fu, and I made sure everyone knew it. I ran down the street and kicked an old lady in her face, sending her flying through a window. Then I dropkicked a father of two into the path of an oncoming truck. When his widow tried to slap me, I punched her over my shoulder and dropped her on her children. I eyed my next victim, a 5-year-old girl who was standing on the balcony of my house, staring at me through the cracks in glass. I stood, calmly watching her wiggle in fear as the next car drove by. Her family saw me, jumped down from the second story of their house, grabbed me by the neck, kicked me and then ran out the front door. I watched them and tried not to cry. I was the king of Kung Fu, and I kicked a 6-year-old girl in the mouth with an ax. My daughter came running back, shrieking. I pulled her down for dear life, and she died in my arms. I kicked a 13-year-old boy one time, punching him in the

I was the king of Kung Fu, and I made sure everyone knew it. I ran down the street and kicked an old lady in her face, sending her flying through a window. Then I dropkicked a father of two into the path of an oncoming truck. When his widow tried to slap me, I punched her over my shoulder and dropped her on her children. I eyed my next victim,  a mother of two and her one-year-old son. He rolled up like a ball, and I kicked him over the head and into a tree, scattering him with a smack on his head as he flew away. I even landed headfirst at the feet of two kids running away on bikes. They jumped up and ran again. Finally I ran into an old woman with a broken collarbone, throwing out her arms. I kicked her down the road with the other kids, and she rolled me up on her back, screaming and begging me to stop, for I was hurting her. "How dare you hit me?" I screamed. "Don't hurt me, I want you," she begged in a low, guttural

I was the king of Kung Fu, and I made sure everyone knew it. I ran down the street and kicked an old lady in her face, sending her flying through a window. Then I dropkicked a father of two into the path of an oncoming truck. When his widow tried to slap me, I punched her over my shoulder and dropped her on her children. I eyed my next victim, Ted Cruz, then punched out his brains and skulls repeatedly.

When two guys at a motorcycle club came to pick me up, I kicked their asses in their rear seats, slammed them to the ground and said, "I'm coming for you." I took a selfie with my fists. I ran into one man who was on his roof with one of our best friends in his arms and then kicked him in the ribs. He said, "I'd like to tell you about these guys." Then I slammed him in a parked SUV, hit him over the face with an ice pick and told him: "I'm going to fuck your brains out."

I don't know who all these men, women, animals and people are. I would like to be

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

Excuse me, sir, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior, Cthulhu? He is the god of the underworld, of the dead, of the living. He is worshipped in almost every city and town."

The doctor, wearing a surgical cap and scrubs, glanced at me and said, "Oh, no. I'm not a medical doctor. Now, I'll tell you an account of my last exorcism."

My friend and I were in the middle of clearing the basement level, and I ran into the other two demons. When I looked for the exit from the basement, the room I was in was filled with a foul and foul smell. The others had started shouting that our friends' spirits were coming right for us. We rushed downstairs and hid from them. When we came back, we found a letter on the table: "I'm getting a letter from our pastor, Dr. Anderon. He asks if I'd like him to pray over me tonight, because I am having dreams about this, too, which are getting worse each night. Also, if we can just

Excuse me, sir, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior, Cthulhu? [Climbing the ladder above them.] Oh, yes, of course! I'll tell you what -- we'll talk later. For now, I guess I just have to say: Thank you. If it keeps you interested, that is. [He laughs and turns around.] How is the weather? I guess it's the same at home. Good weather, eh? That's good to hear... well, not so good, actually. We're lucky the ship hasn't left port. Well, I suppose not, but that doesn't matter, do you hear? The world is on fire and there's no telling when it'll end. You can hear it now. The noise is coming from... outside the ship. What? Is something wrong? [Crows and chirps.] [Climbing the ladder.] ...where? Where? You think you're safe now? It's dangerous to try and climb down this ladder without permission. I can see it. There's a hole between these two supports. Is this

Excuse me, sir, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior, Cthulhu?

The man had a death's head and a deathly pallor as the Dark Lord of the Underworld spoke through him: 

Thing! Cthulhu! I'm here! He's all right. I'm all right!

At once the man, and even his father as well, lost all sense for what seemed to be going on, except for his inability to move his feet or speak:

What was this? What is happening? What did it really do? Do you think it's because I'm angry that it took me so long to get you back or what? Why isn't the place filled with ghosts?

He felt a faint wave of panic and turned around to find only the presence of another man. He also felt strangely aware that this was not just a human being; that there was a figure in green robes standing about six feet away, its face masked by a long, black scarf which fell open to reveal a large vesicular membrane of pure white-walled metal.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

I feel like we can make a pretty fun play-by-post RPG game with this. It feels like a dungeon master's dream. I'm up for it if anyone's thinking the same.

• Yuli Ban likes this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

I wanted to test character creation here.

Atrai Terrance 

Personality traits:

Boredom, a trait which appears during his interactions with other characters. He gets in the way of things, making himself seem to be a hindrance.

Intrepid, he works hard at things and always gets to the bottom of things. He's the kind of man who does not give a crap about other things nor does he give a shit about being a hero. The latter is a good trait for a hero to have.

Unconcerned, which is the opposite of that that he was after he was a super spy. He's kind, polite, and does what needs to be done.

He will do the "right thing" which is an extremely simple, but strong trait for the hero to have. He also cares deeply for the country and will do their bidding in exchange of something more important than personal gain.

Shame, a trait which he displayed early on when he came out publicly to help the city of Los Angeles. He doesn't care what kind of people live there, doesn't care what type of city it is and is so selfless he didn't care what other people did with it. He was always willing to

Atrai Terrance 

Physical Characteristics: Female, 5'2" to 5'4', 150 lbs; muscular

Skin Color: Light blue/black, with a brownish tinge on her chin, hair and back

Hair Color: Dark purple, long and wavy, with long, thin wavy streaks; straight

Eye Color: Brown, small and thin; hazelish with golden streaks. She has dark, wavy line marks at the ends of her eyebrows and she has short hair at her shoulder in the sides. Her nose was always dark as a child, and this was not uncommon since she is black

Sight Color: Pale brown with light hazelish brown eyes

Aliases:

Rabu-Rabi

Rabun-Rabu

Taj-Rabu

Bio Edit

Abby is her name given to her female half-brother. She is shown to have a deep relationship with her brother, and she feels a strong attachment to his daughter, Sabrina.

Atrai Terrance 

Personality traits: ____________________________

- Unsociable.

- Proud to be a Jedi.

- Fears the dark side of that which she doesn't understand.

- May have had some sort of medical condition.

- Is extremely aggressive, often using her Force Power on non-friends from the other side of the galaxy.

History:

Atrai Terrance

Birthdate: 13 BBY

Birthplace: Bantu society in the Lower Dune Sea, Bantu Empire

Parents: Aang, Canderous of Katara's tribe, and his younger sister Katara, Bantu-Tauan refugee of the Lower Dune. She was born when a group of Tsaesci pirates attacked the planet Oryx III, resulting in the death of a quarter of the population. Aang was then raised by his grandfather, a clan leader at a royal palace on Katara's homeworld, while Canderous's wife was employed as an instructor in royal magics. After being brought up in poverty by Aang's grandfather, he decided to leave the tribe and pursue

• Yuli Ban likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

DeepMind Announces Creation of Artificial General Intelligence

DeepMind, the artificial intelligence research firm owned by Google-parent Alphabet, announced this week it has built a general intelligence that is able to learn without having to be programmed to do so.
Now just to be clear, building AI that can operate on its own might sound cool, but it does raise a number of questions in terms of what would a general intelligence even mean?
Google chief executive Sundar Pichai explained it would be the first step on a pathway to full artificial intelligence.
"A fundamental breakthrough is when you can build general purpose systems that can learn without being explicitly given a task to learn, just by observing and understanding the world," Pichai said.
"In this way, AI can become a general intelligence. 'General' refers to a kind of intelligence that can perform all kinds of tasks, without the need for prior training, but it is difficult for us to envision what a true 'human' intelligence will look like in the long run."
The practical implications of such a system — which includes making things like self-driving cars a reality — could far outweigh any off-the-shelf benefits AI could provide for making Google search better, according to Pichai.
Google chief scientist Lord David Hannay, who runs the UK's Artificial Intelligence Research Centre (ARCH), said he was cautiously optimistic about what the announcement could mean for society.
"Developing the ability to turn the data from our surroundings into information and abstract models is an important advance," Hannay said.
"This kind of AI is the foundation of many jobs ranging from military guidance of troops to agriculture. More robots will lead to a better and more efficient world and not a dystopian one, just as our schools prepare us for the coming digitization of jobs and the need for a greater number of workers."
DeepMind works with university researchers around the world to create research projects that put people's data into an AI that can learn how to perform tasks.
Programming would remain essential for them to make the biggest impacts on society, the firm said, but a general intelligence was nevertheless an important step towards the ultimate goal of general artificial intelligence.

Second run:

DeepMind has today announced the creation of artificial general intelligence (AGI), a program and model of artificial intelligence that allows systems to perform novel, complex calculations and execute the same routines as a human.
While such an announcement may seem like a head-scratcher to some, DeepMind co-founder Demis Hassabis says: “Science has given us machines with an increasingly complex capacity to think and learn, to analyse data, to manipulate data and to solve challenges that previously seemed too hard to master.”
“But creating AGI – that is, that is able to think, reason, perform complex mathematical calculations and act on those ideas independently – is the pinnacle of computer science and human accomplishment. It’s the holy grail of AI.”
The first milestone of DeepMind’s $60 million AGI project is to achieve the next step in AI, by building AGI to perform the same tasks and general actions as a human.
In the blog post announcing the announcement, Hassabis said: “Like anything that powers people, AI uses thousands of interconnected systems, billions of different algorithms and billions of useful examples. Each one is drawing on that foundation to build one computer in your brain. There’s nothing new that we are building.”
As in any computer, the size of this one computer is dependent on the number of tasks that it will need to perform. As deep learning, the leading AI computing technique, gets better and more sophisticated, each task can be asked more and more questions, and is given a greater number of detailed models and answers.
“As we’ve grown and grown, the number of tasks we’ve asked to train our AI grows too,” he said. “At the heart of the Wild West of deep learning is a chaotic dance between the demands of a huge number of computations and the importance of a limited number of models and answers.”
Focusing on a couple of goals
DeepMind’s goal is to deliver AI capabilities that can handle 100 million unsolved mathematical problems – a scale that scientists typically develop only with a human brain. These computational problems range from basic computation to complex mathematical structures.
Computers made in large numbers, of course, cannot solve the problems. Hassabis says the key is to make the work smaller and to provide a unique solution every time. These two aspects of AI make it possible to develop AGI at scale, he says.
Another key element to such an approach is to fund research in so-called “nodes,” or individuals who have been trained to help the computer learn by doing what they know well, such as the writing of algorithms.
“The number of talented people who can perform those kinds of complex tasks is increasingly small,” Hassabis said. “Creating a project where there are thousands of people around the world, training DeepMind’s AI across the world, is vital to develop true AGI.”
The first node — the River’s Edge node – is already up and running in London, California, China and Taiwan.
DeepMind is excited about the potential of AGI to make this world more knowledge-rich, Hassabis added.
“The first task is to build a machine which can perform tasks with the same complexity as a human brain,” he said. “The second challenge is to build an AI which can perform thousands or millions of tasks and can understand the meaning of those tasks, using deep learning.
“The combination of those two missions – to have a machine doing tasks like a human brain or doing tasks like a human – is a necessary step to AI becoming a tool which humans use everyday.”

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

History of Artificial Intelligence: 1945 to 1995

Written by Grover Womack, CNN
For people who may not have known much about artificial intelligence, you're about to get a crash course.
That's because in a series of eight short videos, CNN Science seeks to shed light on the earliest days of AI , from the first general purpose computers to universal translators.
And while these videos showcase the capabilities of powerful hardware, they also explore the psychological, economic and political implications of the development of what is perhaps the most significant technology of this century.
To mark the publication of Deep Mind Algorithms: Finding Intuitive Patterns (And Breaking Their Rules -- Amazon Kindle Edition), written by my colleague Jeff Martin, I spoke with historian and AI expert Nancy Judkins about her book and the pioneering work that occurred in the 1950s and 1960s.
Here are four historical lessons from our history:
1. Artificial intelligence is global in scope
The historical theme of AI is one of global reach. AI can't exist without AI, which is why human history has repeatedly seen how human ideas have first been localized.
"Artificial intelligence will forever transform every aspect of human life, as businesses, political leaders, and everyday people seek to design ingenious machines to perform a range of human tasks," Susan Lerner, executive director of Common Cause, told CNN.
2. AI is about fundamentally changing how we think about machines
It was the advent of computers in the 1950s that altered not only the way we interacted with them, but also fundamentally changed our understanding of machines.
"A machine as 'programmable logic' is fundamentally different than a machine that was 'programmed for work' -- this was what attracted most of the researchers to [AI]," Judkins said.
For a long time, computers were seen as mere machines, said Judkins, but in the late 1950s, computer scientists began to emphasize the implications of a "symbiotic relationship" between humans and machines.
"When you describe something that was 'programmable logic' versus a machine that was 'programmed for work,' you're asking whether computers are in fact autonomous, free, and to grow in moral and ethical ways, since I can program anything that needs to be done," she explained.
3. AI led to increased public understanding of this technology
"In the 1950s and 1960s, as more people began to use computers for work, more people began to understand how important AI is to our futures. This made many of us feel passionate about using this technology, understanding it and promoting it," Judkins said.
That enthusiasm was spurred by a global focus on AI at the time. In 1961, the Rand Corporation, a nonprofit organization with a history that dates back to the American Revolution, organized an international conference that discussed the use of artificial intelligence in the workplace. And it was in the 1950s that Ronald Arkin's book "The Liberation of Artificial Intelligence" detailed the potential benefits of AI.
4. The history of AI shows it's not an end in itself
AI can be presented as a "science fiction event," Judkins said, but the fact that it has never existed is a fallacy. The achievement of AI is something that can be seen as a technological accomplishment. But it's about the next stage.
"When you'll look back on, well, all this stuff about AI, what will we look back on it as?" she asked. "And that will be, 'A great technological advance of one or two or many generations, but it is not the end of the line.' AI is there, but it's not the end. It's just the beginning."

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

Everyone Is Gay, US Government Declares. "And that includes you," says President Truman

SALINA, Texas — The President addressed an estimated 4,000 men and women who, on the 4th of July, 1924, gathered for a recognition in east Texas of their right to be homosexual. The celebrated list of lesbian and gay organizations — the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, known formally as the Democratic Party of the White House — issued a statement on the occasion of the President’s address, noting that President Truman’s action “was cheered by thousands of citizens throughout the U.S.”

Lamenting the prospect of legislation that would protect the rights of homosexuals and lesbians and give them the same protection as anyone else in our country, President Truman averred: “I tell you this,” the President said, “and that includes you. There are hardly any laws in the U.S.
“There are practically no statutes making it a crime to be both a homosexual and a woman. In fact, no one has ever been indicted or sent to jail for being a homosexual.”
Praising the women for all their work throughout history, and for their wholehearted “conclusion to commit your lives to your children”; the President declared that the constitution “grants you the freedom to be gay or lesbian, that you are not in trouble any more than any heterosexual has been.”
President Truman said: “I want you to know you are not alone…that every citizen is responsible for the defense of our democratic way of life. Your struggle against bigotry is part of the struggle for democratic rights and civil liberties.”
“The problem in our society,” the President declared, “is too often the attempt to deprive other citizens of the freedom they have. Those who can do so, those who can force others to follow in their footsteps, are guilty of a great crime and ought to be severely punished by the law.”

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

Artificial general intelligence has been created, scientists announce

(CNN) — No, you’re not dreaming. Artificial general intelligence is now!
Researchers have created an artificial memory, called an alpha memory, able to read data almost as well as the human brain, it was announced Wednesday.
Alpha memory is the ability to remember what someone said or wrote, or something specific. The scientists designed the technology as a way to deter the humans who are able to memorize complex information, learn things quickly and accumulate huge quantities of data.
Analyst Richard Morrell, who worked on the project, said that the technology may be the first step in automation that is able to improve people’s awareness and learn new skills.
The researchers say that using such technology will significantly transform how people interact with machines — presumably improving jobs such as at places such as supermarkets and convenience stores.
More: Mother 'confident' her daughter will beat cancer, police say
“Much of our knowledge, especially at time when social interactions with humans are most sensitive, will be replaced by machines,” said study co-author Glenn Kercheval, the Software Engineering Institute’s associate vice president.
An Alpha Memory machine has an intelligence rating of 0 to 5, meaning that it can perform a task in a much faster, more accurate manner than the human brain. To be able to recognize the name of a book, for example, it would need an Alpha Memory device just a few milliseconds short of fully understanding the name in case of a hacker.
According to statistics, one in every five humans is currently capable of a lower, more accurate rating.
“This new technology represents a clear breakthrough that will improve the ability of humans to learn to do useful tasks and anticipate the future, while being perfectly capable of doing repetitive tasks at high precision,” said study co-author Gregory Caroselli, a General Tech Research director who published the paper in the journal Current Biology.
The team succeeded in simulating a four-sided negative attitude detector, which generates a negative image out of the smallest number of grains of sand dropped into a small pool. The team’s computers powered the system by signals from the brain, then measured the train of self-processing data in response to the image.
The research team estimates that about 10% of the population could possibly use Alpha Memory to generate high-level reasoning in the future.
In terms of the practical applications, the researchers say that the technology may be useful for the university campus, where it could help in following correct directions when driving or a restaurant where it could help convey messages to robots that only things are okay.
The research team says that the Alpha Memory technology is likely to improve humans’ ability to cope with the risk of grave bodily injuries that usually accompany military conflict, such as the use of drones, for example.
It is also the first artificial general intelligence that uses deep learning, an emerging technology that involves a huge amount of computation combined with artificial neural networks — like those used in Facebook and Google’s Deep Mind and Terminator, but less likely to use deep learning technology for mass communications and surveillance programs.
Many experts believe the high speed of intelligence from AI applications could eventually help people get their jobs back quickly and get trained to make better use of a job where the skills are left relatively untouched, such as police and other emergency service workers.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

The horrificly awful Sonic the Hedgehog movie is to be awarded the worst film of all time as most of Hollywood saw their entire value wiped out in the two years following its release.
According to a news release released by the Motion Picture Association, the poor sass of Sonic, a villainous purple Sonic, made him the most expensive movie of all time, costing $115 million when it debuted. The result was a 97% underperforming flop with 48m admissions. As a result, the movie suffered bankruptcy in September of 2017 and its market value is now dead money.
The movie made around $21bn in the US by May 2018, down from $200m six years ago. As film historians go, it's a distant second behind the 2002 film Revenge of the Nerds, which took over 30% of all domestic box office.
During the press release on the credit crash, MPAA president Gary Lucchesi said: "This crash, for a film that preceded [the 1929 stock market crash], is pretty unforgivable.
"There is a very good reason why the industry plummeted so rapidly after the cinematic crash. Over the next six years, prices on shares in theaters were plunging, and even industry leaders like James Cameron and Robert Redford and Denzel Washington just didn't get it. The result was studios and audiences believing that the decline of an era would not repeat itself with a second crash, and they just didn't get it."
The film, which was produced by Joss Whedon, Nicholas Sparks and Steven Spielberg, provided hope and guidance for the internet bubble that became synonymous with the crash of 2008.
Sonic the Hedgehog was revealed as the worst film of all time by the MPAA back in 2017. Image: daphne kara/courtesy theater dis/movietospace.com
The ripple effect of the movie's collapse on the economy meant that as of September 2018, 49.3 million Americans had lost their jobs. This was the second worst low-wage recession in history and is the second largest minimum wage hike for anyone who has not held a job for several years.
In addition to the value of the movie at rock bottom, it has devastated careers and dreams for high-fliers who worked alongside the Sega founder.
Many of these high-flyers, including one of Sonic's all-time best friends Tobey Maguire, say that he could have turned a mediocre movie into a whopping $1bn fortune, which he and his family bank account will soon wash away.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

Boston Dynamics Unveils First Atlas robot for the Home

Boston Dynamics has made a slew of robotic technology breakthroughs over the years, becoming a pioneer in robotic development.
The company has been on a roll lately, launching a "product pipeline" of advanced robotics early last year, along with its new CEO Rod Brooks. It also won a $105 million contract to create a family of robots by 2022 with the United States Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).
Now, the company has revealed its first home robot that is meant to be disposable for the owner. Atlas is set to go on sale in the US in 2019 and is also being designed for other markets like the European Union and Canada.
With two arms and a torso, Atlas isn't the most realistic robot to date. But it also doesn't fall down — an ability made possible by its front legs that propel the robot along a 3D platform.
And it's all controlled by a smartphone app, making it easy to operate as a single humanoid or as a full-sized helper.
One way it can help out is by folding up to make it easier to bring things inside. We've seen it fold up smart locks, protective covers, and even house keys.
While an initial sale will likely fall into the more luxurious affordable category, Atlas could also wind up with a broader scope with modular tools to accommodate multiple functions.
Folding robots are meant to assist in a number of different settings. It could help customers fold towels or pack lunches. Or it could be used as an intercom on a kitchen counter or go find lost items like keys or cash.
When the Atlas team says that the robot "always knows what to do next," they are referring to it as "fluid intelligence."
Boston Dynamics explained that it takes advantage of world-class facial recognition technology and nine microphones to create its image databases.
Atlas can identify people and objects and recognize gestures and behaviors. In a demo video released earlier this week, it's able to recognize a dog and retrieve a paper collar. It was also taught to fetch small items without touching them first.
"Boston Dynamics has a long history of pushing the limits of human-machine interaction," Boston Dynamics CEO Brooks said in a statement. "Atlas represents another step in that evolution. It's a large humanoid robot that can complete simple tasks, all of which we demoed during our Milestone 1 run."
The project was completed early this year and featured three robots. The company's regular humanoid robot, Atlas, also received an upgrade.

Kemotx

Kemotx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationWrocław

Elon Musk interviewed Daenerys Targaryen. Here's what they said: 

Elon Musk has the Twitter game down.
The entrepreneur, who also happens to run Tesla and SpaceX, picked up a phone and called up actress Daenerys Targaryen, the Mother of Dragons on Game of Thrones, who plays the mother of dragons, in a moment that Musk shared on Twitter.
Game of Thrones is such a big show that it would have been fun to quiz Daenerys. They would have done it right because I’ve caught up with the show for nearly a decade and know the cast by name and face.
So, Musk interviewed Daenerys and got some awesome answers. Elon Musk (@elonmusk) posted a video of the Musk getting Daenerys on tape, and the pair goes over some questions.
Don’t think @TeamDaenerys would have picked up that phone without being asked first. — @elonmusk
Daenerys: The war is on.
Elon: Are you surprised at how dragons are portrayed on the show?
Daenerys: What’s a dragon?
Elon: What is all this? What is that blue thing?
Daenerys: What’s that? Why are there green grass…
Elon: How’s the war on? Why is everyone so hellbent on one thing or another?
Daenerys: So the people are pretty self-righteous or… – they’re kind of prissy?
Elon: Is Trump a … unprincipled leader?
Elon: Sounds like what we had back in 2008….
Daenerys: That was before you and your BFF made it rain money.
Elon: I’ll take that as a yes.
Daenerys: So uh, why are there so many Green grass…viiiiidgestion in the world? Is it because the wildlings are coming? Why is there blue? I mean, I understand there’s a sea on it, but …
Elon: I like the 4 D words – crazy, disorganized, disunited?
Elon: Well you haven’t put all 4 in there. Please, I’d love to hear more about it.
Daenerys: It’s all about that glass roof that pops on you.
Elon: Ha. Funnily enough it was too expensive to be featured in the Story of Civilization … which probably helped delay the war with the Targaryens…
Daenerys: How many people were killed on World War I?
Elon: It’s the tip of the iceberg.
Daenerys: Too bad you don’t want to tell us. We would have asked a lot of questions if you had put all 4 in there.
Elon: Well, once again, you didn’t put all 4 in there. And then you got back to the people issue, but I believe I did.
Daenerys: I’d love to hear more from you.
Elon: So you’ve had conversations with the people you’ve been fighting for.
Daenerys: There’s a thing you can do if you give the system what it wants in return.
Elon: I know.
Elon: Well, I have solved the problem of the “glass roof” problem. That’s the good news.
(Daenerys throws back her head and laughs.)
Daenerys: “Whose glass is it?”
Elon: The glass roof. That makes sense, and you have broken glass when you’ve done your thing. “World War I? World War II?”
Daenerys: Not a problem.
Elon: It’s fairly easy to lift these things up, and get them in line.
(Daenerys laughs, and laughs.)
Elon: We’re done.
Daenerys: Ya. I think a good leader with a strong personality understands the system and adapts when the system changes.
Elon: Okay! Seems to be working out so far.
Elon: Tsk. Fair enough. Thanks for calling!
Daenerys: Fair enough!
Elon: Take care.
And to all those skeptical Game of Thrones fans: That’s it!
Read the full story at The Washington Post.
Related
Elon Musk investigated for sending Musk apparently reckless and illegal payload to International Space Station
Elon Musk invents ‘Super Person’ award for himself

Elon Musk and ‘trivialist’ celebs to reveal 1 billion prizes at the 

Generated using Grover.

• Yuli Ban likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

oPj5iLB6hrtSAsXLW6fE1waK48zHq6VHlJqUrLto

• Outlook likes this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

I wanted to ask you for your experience in writing with GPT-2 in your status update but it got bumped to oblivion. I wanted to ask, is it good for plotting? Prose? Writing block? How in god's good earth do you use it? It gets wonky for me whenever I enter weird Proper Nouns, and only find it good for character creation.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

Oh for me, I just input short prompts into Talk to Transformer, run through multiple rounds until I find one that looks good and makes enough sense, and then edit it for better clarity. Then I'll put it back into the Transformer to see if it goes in an even better direction. Sometimes, it's a 1-2 shot and I'm amazed that a computer wrote better than me. Other times, I spend up to 10 minutes refreshing it just to get a single one that works with what I put in and then eventually give up. This is because you have absolutely no control over what it produces besides that starting prompt since it's fundamentally a predictive text network.

The main problem with using GPT-2 to assist with fiction writing is that it has no context of what it's supposed to be creating. You can't input a text document and then get the rest of the story out of it. At least not yet, and especially not for the online version. Maybe in a future app, we'll be able to feed text and get something refined on only that input (or set prompt parameters that force it to generate something akin but far superior to how Mad Lib-style online plot generators work), but for right now, it's fairly scattershot and I'd even say you're doing most of the work.

• Casey and Outlook like this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,742 posts

Prompted by "I think Donald Trump is..."

I think that Donald Trump is doing a terrible job as President of the United States."

But, said one voter, this could be changing.

"I'm not Trump supporter, but I'm now leaning toward Trump supporters," said Bob Wittenberg, of West Valley City. "Trump has a lot of support here, but I think the general populace is still thinking of him as a 'no.'"

A voter identified as Lisa also noted that this election has been a good week for her political views, especially considering former President Obama's re-election in six states last year.

"I'm still quite undecided about the presidential election, but I do feel like the next president might have the right policies and have the right character because there will be a new president on the other side," said Lisa.

She thinks Trump will be very popular at the general election, and could even hold on to that advantage by not being as "controversial" around the country.

Some in the crowd disagreed. "I'm voting for Trump in 2016 and I want someone to control this country," said Gary Smith of Chandler.

But, not everyone is holding out hope for the president. While a few didn't feel his support was enough to pull them forward in 2016, some weren't ready to leave the party.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Archimedes

Archimedes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Prompt:

There would be no more big questions, and no more answers. Never again a love or a child. No descendants to remember us and be proud. No more voyages to the stars. No more songs from the Earth. I saw East Africa and thought a few million years ago we humans took our first steps there. Our brains grew and changed. The old parts began to be guided by the new parts. And this made us human, with compassion and foresight and reason. But instead, we listened to that reptilian voice within us, counselling fear, territoriality, aggression. We accepted the products of science, we rejected its methods. Maybe the reptiles will evolve intelligence once more. Perhaps, one day, there will be civilizations again on Earth. There will be life, there will be intelligence, but there will be no more humans; not here, not on a billion worlds.

Output:

No, I'm afraid I'm sorry. I'm sorry we let ourselves get into this mess, in our endless need for answers.

I don't think that's true, no. I think I've made the best decisions possible from my position as human, and from my experience. I know my responsibility, and you can probably accept this, too, knowing it's because of your own good fortune.

The world can be very complicated, but for me, it is very simple. It has been made

• Yuli Ban likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OpenAI, GPT-2, text synthesis, media synthesis, online resources

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users