Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What are your computer specs?

computers computing PC hardware desktop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,503 posts
  • LocationLondon

I've had this computer since 2011. It was a top-of-the-range machine at the time – an absolute beast:

Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4 GHz (quad core)

250GB Intel SSD

2TB storage

16GB RAM

GeForce GTX 970 (was originally 580)

Windows 7 Professional

24" LG monitor

It's served me well, but has accumulated some problems in recent years, so I'm planning to upgrade very soon. I had already upgraded the GPU and PSU a while back, but I now want a complete new system and casing.

I will post the specs of my new computer if/when I get one, but it's likely I'll be going for an Intel Core i7-9700K (9th gen), with GeForce RTX 2080 and probably a larger SSD with 1TB of space, plus 4TB of additional storage and a new monitor as well.

I have a laptop too, but it's very basic and just used for when I'm outside London, which is rarely.

• Erowind likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

An 8 year old computer, I noticed. When I upgraded back in 2013, my old computer was also 8 years old (dating back to 2005). 

In the past year, I've been using a laptop over a desktop because the old one was taking up space and so I moved it to my closet, but I do plan on getting a new PC later in the year or preferably early next year.

The one I have now was a $600 machine.

• Intel i5, IIRC. Intel i5-4430 to be specific.
  • 1 TB HDD (800 GB functionally)
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 18" monitor, though I've forgotten what brand. Probably not LG, but I have to check. EDIT: It is LG!
  • Windows 8.1.

I upgraded to that from a 2002-era Dell.  That one was $500, but I received it as a gift from a church community, of all places.

• I have no memory what processor it used. 
  • 32 GB HDD (29 GB functionally)
  • 512 MB RAM
  • The monitor (and the rest of the computer) is at my aunt's, but it was one of those substantial ones common back then. Not flat screen at all, maybe 12", just a boxy pale-black CRT thing.
  • Windows XP, the best one.

I remember playing Command and Conquer: Generals: Zero Hour for years and getting used to how painfully slow things would get. The frame rate was rarely an issue; the game was just so slow. And with graphics set to maximum, I thought that was just the experience...

Until I got my last computer and loaded up the game in 2013. At first, I thought the game moved unnaturally fast until I realized that was how the game was supposed to move

Similar deal with Sim City 4. For almost a decade, I was used to the game taking almost half a minute just scrolling and the general speed being sluggish. Tried it with the new computer and almost couldn't handle how smooth it was.

With Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, I had a better idea of how short my older computer came up because it literally didn't render water effects or weather. I always wanted it to and thought I just set the game up poorly, but nope. Computer was just too weak. 

2013 computer, though, didn't even slow down.  

I'm sure the same would be true for Call of Duty. I don't remember the slowdown, but that's just because my brain filtered it out and I haven't played it in about a decade. And remember: that was a 2003 game. Most PC games I own are from 2003, probably because that was about as good as my first PC could handle.

In a manner, I'm still bitter. I could have become a PC gamer in 2005-2006, but that computer was just too weak. And by the time I got a more substantial one, I didn't care anymore. 

The next PC I get is intended to be VR-ready, which is why I want to deliberately put off getting it until 2020.

• wjfox and Casey like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

I got a chromebook.

• wjfox, eacao and Erowind like this
Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/bE_UDATn42E

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
2011 PC with some upgrades, will run it till it dies.

intwl i7 2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4 ghz quad core

16gb of 1866mhz ddr3 ram

256Gb SSD

2Tb HDD

GTX 980ti with 6Gb of vram

Windows 8.1 considering reverting to windows 7 as I've had driver and stability issues ever since switching off 7

My next pc will likely be a linux build because screw companies exploiting my data.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,503 posts
  • LocationLondon
^ Remarkably similar to my specs.

I don't recommend reverting to Win 7, as Microsoft is dropping support for the OS in January 2020, making it a security risk.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Ryzen 3 1200 

480GB SSD

8GB  2400 DDR4 

AMD RX 580 4GB 

550W Corsair PSU

Windows 10 Pro

23 inch 1080p HP monitor

Probably going to upgrade it when I buy a VR headset

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: computers, computing, PC, hardware, desktop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users