Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Omega Point: 2100?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I’m starting to truly believe that by the year 2100 A.D. (if humanity survives; which it will, just not on Earth) EVERYTHING currently depicted in sci fi today will have been realized. So much of the classic sci fi stuff is in the development phases now and every year is like 100 years in terms of technological progress. By 2100, everything will be done with the possible exception of extreme megastructures like the Dyson sphere or Matrioksha Brain. Not because they can’t be done; just that they are too imcovienient and not worth building.

By 2100, we will teleport from place to place, move faster than light, BAN extreme genetic engineering and time travel (which will be possible), colonize the galaxy and perhaps a couple others, shapeshift into customized bodies, have access to all the worlds knowledge by thinking (brain implant), live in a post-scarcity society and invent weapons that can cause massive destruction on a planetary scale. We will also be aware of other universes and perhaps some explorers will travel to them. We will create our own stars, move planets around, reverse entropy and create baby universes (but that will likely be regulated). It may seem like a stretch but every year our progress accelerates faster and faster. I think 2100 will be unimaginable.

But that leaves the question. What will be considered sci-fi in this time? Does anybody have any ideas. I think sci fi will still exist because humans will never stop wondering What If? and I think science is bottomless so their will always be more to uncover. Humans will always crave entertainment and movies and books will always exist. Sci-fi could vanish and we might watch Star Trek or Star Wars as classic contemporary pieces but I have to think their will be things on the table that are written about that cannot be done like sci fi always shows. What could those things be? I’m trying to think about this stuff because I always like to wonder about the futures future.

• Erowind likes this

Singularity11

Singularity11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, are you referring to Frank Tipler's theory of the Omega Point?
  • Erowind and Maximum7 like this

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Sort of. I kinda took the Omega Point term and made it like the Apeotheosis of technology and science.
  • Erowind likes this

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Stopping or otherwise circumnavigating entropy and heat death would be my focus in a world like you described. That's a feat that will be a challenge for many thousands if not millions of years I imagine. 

Hyndal_Halcyon

Hyndal_Halcyon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
I don't remember where I've read it, but someone thinks that the universe itself is in a massive superposition of all possible universes existing simultaneously in higher dimensions. We're like a book with infinite pages but the pages pass through each other, making the book appear to only have a single page. Another thing is that the Omega Point actually supports the anthropic principle. The simple fact that intelligent life can exist means that intelligent life will evolve and eventually saturate the entire book. And when that's done, the ultimate observer will collapse the superposition of the pages in that book, essentially choosing which is the most desirable universe that deserves to exist. It literally means the final advancement in science is the answer in a multiple choice question: Which reality do you want to live in? Perhaps someone has already chosen something and we're currently living in the perfect universe leading to that someone ending up creating itself a.k.a. autopoiesis. And when that someone happens to be us, we will have created ourselves, which would appear nonsensical unless we have a higher dimensional understanding of the universe that makes us timeless entities.

As you can see, I'm a huge nerd who'd rather write about how we can become a Type V civilization instead of study for my final exams (gotta fix that).

But to put an end to this topic, might I say that the one and only greatest future achievement of humankind is when it finally becomes posthumankind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users