Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

First transhumanist forum since KurzweilAI

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Singularity11

Singularity11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I'm Singularity11. I was a member of the KurzweilAI.Forum from 2011 until it shut down.

Is there anybody from the old KurzweilAI.Forum?
  • Raklian, Yuli Ban, Kemotx and 2 others like this

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Welcome! 

• Erowind likes this

Archimedes

Archimedes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Yeah, but I wasn't as super-heavy into it as some of the more ah... passionate users were.

In any case, welcome.

• Erowind likes this

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

I miss KurzweilAI, lurker here :) 

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I frequented the place back in 2014-2015 until I got fed up with Spiko, forever freedom, and RedQ, among others, who always seemed less interested in discussing futurism and more interested in promoting far-right conspiracy theories, equating the US Democratic Party to Bolshevism, and trashing/downplaying any sci-tech development related to green energy, carbon capture, or electric vehicles. I recall Starspawn0 mentioning that most of KurzweilAI's regulars migrated to another forum, including this batch.

I've gone out of my way to make sure I do not commit the name of that forum to memory. I just pretend he never mentioned anything, to be honest. 

There's a reason why our mods do more to regulate the forum, and the catastrophe that was the KAI forums is a big reason.

Anywho, welcome you late refugee!

• Casey likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

There's a reason why our mods do more to regulate the forum, and the catastrophe that was the KAI forums is a big reason.

Yet I'm still standing. Haven't been censored by the communists yet.

• Yuli Ban likes this

tomasth

tomasth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I got here from yuli mentioning the site in one of his posts.
  • Yuli Ban likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,482 posts

Yet I'm still standing. Haven't been censored by the communists yet.

Because believe it or not, you are actually far more on-topic than they usually were. You are basically a more juvenile Spikosauropod, who despite how much he pissed off Will, was actually one of the least offending users of the aforementioned.

Think of how much you've been trolling, and now consider the idea KAI was still worse. A lack of moderation does that.

2 comments to a discussion of HP's vaporware memristor computer The Machine or an advancement in natural language processing

5 pages of comments in a thread about Jade Helm and why Obama wants to kill all white people

1 comment to a thread on a virtual reality headset selling a million units

Over 9,000 pages to the "Political" thread, filled with the rightist users linking to actual fake news and conspiracy theories with one or two leftist users telling them all to suck their dicks

Any thread about climate change quickly has about 10 posts saying why it's an evil big government hoax, that renewable energy is "Luddite", and why coal & oil is the future before anyone even addresses the contents of the OP

It was a fucking mess, and I'm only particularly nostalgic for the parts before roughly mid 2014 before it went off the rails (due to ebola, no less). Actually, remember what I keep saying about how I became a Born Again Singularitarian in roughly March-through-June 2014? The KAI forums were partially responsible. There was a lot of hype and actual discussions then, and the reason why I posted the first "Yuli Banularity" was entirely because users on KAI were finding and posting so many good sci-tech articles (in the way funkervogt likes, where there are no general threads, so I could see them as they went up), but here on the FTL forums, it seemed a week would pass with only a mention of one or two of those literally dozens of developments, so I decided to pick up the slack.

Then the ebola scare really got going later in the year, which brought a couple of actual fascists over to the forum and caused the first real exodus. There was also those riots in Baltimore, I believe. "Burn this bitch down", for which the Singularity "not happening because of it" was very weakly used as a cover to talk about you know exactly what. There was already some angsting about the forums before then, but it was in around September-October 2014 that it got nasty and didn't recover for years (by which point it was too late). 

https://www.futureti...ums-are-a-mess/

https://www.futureti...out-of-control/

Yeah, I stopped posting there a while back, for the exact reasons you've given. Hopefully FT never ends up like that!

FutureTimeline Forums have existed in some capacity for over 10 years now; even the "new" version is over 8 years old. Somehow, we've gotten better with age.

Perhaps because of actual moderation and my attempt to get a more qualified expert (Starspawn0) to post here to help keep quality high.

• Raklian, Casey and Outlook like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Clicking on those dead links made me realize how these forum communities are going extinct. Reddit, facebook, twitter, and youtube are swallowing up all these communities into their maws. I also experienced this when I revisited the Armchair General forums, where I remember visiting it once and it being fairly active, and then visiting it this year and seeing threads like "When did this forum become dead?" I can't help but feel like something is becoming lost when reading that.

How soon will internet archaeologists become a thing where they delve into old server storage, or through the wayback machine or if there are still ancient websites that still somehow manage to stay up.

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/QAlMaVYIzqw

IMPERATOR!

Cloned

Cloned

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi Kurzweil refugees! How many of us are here?

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
I think it's a bad idea to try to rekindle that old forum. It was a blend of:

* Toxic political content -- and I don't mean "Trump is bad" or "Trump is good"; but content far past what would get you banned on this forum (futuretimeline).

* Endless, pointless arguments over the meaning of words.

* Constant one-upmanship -- fueled, in part, by jealousy.

* Deranged, empty posts by people who were mentally ill, and also by hipsters trying to gum up the works.

* Pompous individuals with an air of European upper-crust and projection of superiority (crypto-fascists).

* Annoying Rationalists who treat every argument with equal respect, and don't consider motive; and who argue from "pure reason" -- no gotcha empirical facts allowed.

It's better to let it die, and find your own outlet somewhere else, where none of that gets too concentrated into one place. If too much of that comes to this forum, then I will leave again...
  • Yuli Ban, funkervogt and Archimedes like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,482 posts

I think it's fine to bring back the KAI forums as long as there is competent moderation. The moderators of the forums were just as complicit in everything that went on because they were the ones that refused to put their foot down, balked at banning political content (even extremist content) for fear of offending one side of the spectrum, and generally had a hands-off policy that fostered more cranks joining.

The KAI forums were attached to Ray Kurzweil's personal website, so why moderation was so weak still perplexes me. It would've been one of the first things you could find if you searched his name.

At this juncture, I'm fine with leaving it to the realm of archives and letting this forum be the big "futurist" forum of the internet.

Archimedes

Archimedes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I used to post there, but I left after the spam, conspiracy theories and pseudoscientific woo exploded.

• funkervogt likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users