Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Quantum Archaeology

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Singularity11

Singularity11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, I have had for many years had an interest in this area of transhumanism. I remember people like Guilio Prisco and others debating this down through the years.

Will Quantum Archaeology ever be feasible, and if so when?

Of course there is still the old question, would the person who was ressurected through Quantum Archaeology really be person who had died, or merely a clone with their memories?

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
No, I don't think Quantum Archaeology will be a thing. It's possible, though, that the universe might cycle through and produce a very close copy of everyone who ever lived again and again, forever -- that is a kind of immortality, I suppose.

Those who have died are not suffering. They are in exactly the same state as you were in, before you were born -- a state of nonexistence. Only the people who knew them and don't want to be without them suffer.

This happens to be why I think anti-aging is a better thing to focus on than longevity: everyone will die, eventually; it is unavoidable. But when you die, you won't suffer, as you won't exist. What will cause you to suffer is growing old -- loss of attractiveness, strength, mental power, and so on. In a perfect world we'd all look and feel young right up until the time of our death.

A nice Alan Watts piece about existence and god:

https://soundcloud.c...s-nature-of-god

tomasth

tomasth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
The reason people don't want to die have nothing to do with suffering , its the not living that is the problem.

The minor issue of "loss of attractiveness, strength, mental power, and so on" is fine , but its not why they have a problem with dieing.

"feel young right up until the time of our death" , happened to Children who die.

Mr.posthuman

Mr.posthuman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
What do you mean by quantum archaeology ?

Singularity11

Singularity11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I mean like this.

https://humanityplus...urect-the-dead/

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

The reason people don't want to die have nothing to do with suffering , its the not living that is the problem.

"Not living" is a minor issue, since if you aren't alive, you won't care. You could die tomorrow, a month from now, or years from now -- and when it happens, there will be no "you" to worry about not living anymore.

And if you don't live a full life -- doing all the things you feel you should have done -- there will also be no "you" around to worry about that, either. You won't be sitting in the void somewhere saying to yourself, "Woe is me... I wish I had lived a longer life and done this and this and this." -- nobody will be there to ask the question, just like before you were born.

The major issue, then, as I said, is "loss of attractiveness, strength, mental power, and so on".

Of course, the people who are still alive will suffer if you aren't around -- but they will suffer eventually, regardless, as you are going to die sometime.

The legacy one leaves behind will also eventually vanish.

tomasth

tomasth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Only living have issues. Minor or major.

To the living , its the not living that is the problem.

To those who happened to live , pre natal
nonexistence is not the same as post death nonexistence. Its asymmetrical.

legacy , effect on others suffering , even mental power, and so on ; are extrinsic , they presuppose the person existing.

Are do think that mental power, and so on are a big issue , but they need the person first existing.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

To the living , its the not living that is the problem.

Well, it's not a problem to me, one among the living. I don't worry about not living, as I know I won't care when I no longer exist. But I do care about suffering, while I am here -- as do many people of a quasi-Buddhist mindset.

To those who happened to live , pre natal
nonexistence is not the same as post death nonexistence. Its asymmetrical.

That's not the point I was making; I wasn't trying to suggest they were symmetrical in all ways. I was simply trying to say what it "feels like" to not exist -- it doesn't feel like anything at all, just like before you were born, as there is nobody (you) there to feel. Others may feel... but not you.

Legacy may be an issue to some, but not to me. I will leave a legacy of accomplishment behind when I die -- but I don't really care about it; it will all fade away in time, anyways.

What I care about is the "me" in the present moment and that will be alive to suffer.

tomasth

tomasth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
If a person is dead unless they have a "do not resurrect" notice , people will assume that even without "what it feels like" existence ; they will want the option to live again. (One can always decide to die again and again and again...).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users