Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Diet and exercise discussion

food exercise fitness health

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

okay, keto isn't that big a deal different from how I would tend to eat anyway. I was eating about 70% fat, 25% Protein, 5% carbs mainly from vegetables. majority of days were near 0% carbs, be less than 5 grams and largely gained from any carbs in meat, eggs, and herbs used to flavor them.

I kept to my 2000 calories intake. wasn't really hungry at any point. but didn't really love the food over much either. It didn't upset my system as much I thought it might, though I did have some rough days, nothing too far outside of normal for me.

I cut back exercise to levels that I was doing while eating the high carb diet to give each it's fair shakes. I've neither gained or lost weight, and I do notice any strength or muscle size variation.

The biggest thing of note for me has been my mood. the Fuse on ALL my moods is Waaay shorter. Little things that are no big deal piss me right off and it last most of the day, when I'm excited I'm near manic, lost a couple days to depression where I stayed in bed. Fun was more fun, stress was more stressful.

I can't help but wonder if this is something that's messing up american minds. High carb made me ADHD, and High fat made me moody and volatile. If this is how everybody feels all the time... no thank you. The emotional intensity was too much for me.

But the diet is over.

I'm now onto my regular eating diet, and starting fast twitch muscle training. Looking at mainly sprinting starts, vertical jump, distance jump, side jump, and throwing exercises for hieght and distances. Looking for improvements in distance, and/or reps.

I can get back to my other exercises again too, now that calories are no object, at least until November 1st when I go high protein and the end of november will be the start of weight based training.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

I think I'm addicted to the gym now.  I find myself doing more and more strenuous exercise every week -- it's just a big stress reliever to jog on the treadmill for 30 minutes, or on the cross-country ski machine (more strenuous than jogging or light running), and then do 40 minutes of weight-lifting each day.  I just really love it.  

There are guys older than me, who are in their 50s and 60s, who do even more and have pretty large muscles -- larger than mine.  It's probably partly due to genetics, but also due to their eating a huge amount of protein every day (I don't think it's steroids).  I don't eat as much protein as I should to do really serious bodybuilding; but I'm pretty shapely, and my veins are popping out more and more over time (probably means my body fat levels are declining).

johnnd

johnnd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Lately, I have been getting more paranoid about going to the gym due to the coronavirus. Maybe I should bring a hand sanitizer bottle with me to quell my neuroticism; but, then I would just end up looking more neurotic and being paranoid about people noticing (I'm a pretty vain person).

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • 2,020 posts

I wonder how everybody has been getting along without the gym.  I exercise at home without weights, and so far I haven't noticed a drop in muscle.  Here are the exercises I do:

* I do two kinds of pushups:  regular and triangle.  Triangle pushups are where you put your hands close together, forming a triangle, with your thumbs touching at the base.  These work the triceps more intensively than do the regular pushups.  But regular pushups also work the upper arms and pecs nicely.  I do a single set of 70 pushups.  Two pain points keep me from doing many more per set -- arms burn, and stomach burns.

* I do situps off the end of my bed -- about 45 in a row.  They do a good job working the stomach muscles.

* I do about 65 to 70 tight, deep squats in a row.  I can feel the burn in my gluteus muscles, and also the muscles around my knees.  It works the thigh hamstring muscles.

* I do about 45 reverse pushups in a row.  Basically I face away from my kitchen counter; put the backs on my palms on the counter; and then relax my leg muscles, and put all the support on the arms and elbow; and then I use my upper arm, biceps, triceps to lift me up and down -- kind of the same thing people in wheelchairs have to do.

* I work by shoulder and back muscles as follows:  I simply lift my arms up and down, pointing them all the way up over my head, as much as possible; and I repeat that simple motion about 225 times in one go.  The arms burn when I'm done.

* I exercise the out muscles of my legs by laying on my side and lifting my leg, and lowering it, about 35 times; and then I lay on the other side, and do it for the other leg.

* I also walk at least an hour a day; sometimes 2 hours.  

I have in the past done bicycle crunches; I might start doing those again.  They are great for working all the stomach muscles.  

Another good exercise, for cardio in this case, is jumping jacks.  They are easy to do, and they get your heart working fairly quickly, without needing to go outside.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • 2,020 posts

I just did 100 pushups in a row! -- and I could probably have down 110 before my arms and chest burned too much to continue.

I had never done that before.  Even when I was young and strong I didn't attempt that many in a row. 

The fact that I can do 100 pushups in a row is a bit worrying.  It probably means that I've lost weight during the lockdown.  I haven't bothered to weigh myself.  Every 5 extra pounds, it gets a lot harder to do a lot of pushups.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

well I did an experiment for 15 days. I ate nothing but mini donuts. roughly 1 per hour for 12-16 hour each day. No other food, only water to drink. I lost 7 pounds, and was high energy all day. It did make my sleep disrupted, and my thinking was scattered (I called it donut brain).

I did get about 10 different varieties of mini donuts, so I didn't suffer from lack of variety.

But I'm content to not eat donuts for a while now.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,221 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

That's pretty much because of lower caloric intake overall.

I forget who said it, but if you eat two pizzas a day and then go down to eating one pizza a day, of course you'd lose weight. Actually burning calories in those small bursts rather than resting on full meals probably helped with energy too.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • 2,020 posts
I have been finding out a number of benefits to adding "collagen peptides" to ones diet.  

It used to be thought that ingesting collagen or collagen peptides would not be any more beneficial than ingesting any other protein, since they'd all be broken down and converted into amino acids.  It turns out, at least for collagen peptides, that this isn't quite true -- some of the peptides (that aren't amino acids) are able to slip through into the body, where they have a large number of effects.  Multiple studies show that they improve cellulite in waviness of skin in women (the effect is pronounced, even given 2.5 grams of collagen peptides per day, according to the studies), and in men, they have the following effect (maybe also women):

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC6566878/

We aimed to determine the effects of long-term collagen peptide (CP) supplementation and resistance exercise training (RET) on body composition, strength, and muscle fiber cross-sectional area (fCSA) in recreationally active men. Fifty-seven young men were randomly and double-blinded divided into a group receiving either collagen peptides (COL, 15 g/day) or a placebo (PLA). Strength testing, bioimpedance analysis, and muscle biopsies were used prior to and after an RET intervention. Food record protocols were performed during the RET intervention. The groups trained three times a week for 12 weeks. Baseline parameters showed no differences between groups, and the external training load and dietary food intake were also similar. COL showed a significant increase in fat-free mass (FFM) compared with the placebo group (p < 0.05). Body fat mass (BFM) was unchanged in COL, whereas a significant increase in BFM was observed in PLA. Both groups showed significant increases in all strength tests, with a trend for a slightly more pronounced effect in COL. The fCSA of type II muscle fibers increased significantly in both groups without differences between the two groups. We firstly demonstrated improved body composition in healthy, recreationally active men subsequent to prolonged CP supplementation in combination with RET. As the observed increase in FFM was not reflected in differences in fCSA hypertrophy between groups, we assume enhanced passive connective tissue adaptations in COL due to CP intake.

In men and women, both, it probably also makes skin look younger.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • 2,020 posts

One thing worth mentioning about exercise, especially weightlifting:  if you do it over a long enough period of time, and do it vigorously (as in, you push your body to the limits), you will see that your body changes shape in stages.  Fat gets moved around in a step-by-step fashion -- at least it did for me.  A year ago, my face was more rounded (and was more angular many years before that, when I was younger); and it stayed that way for months.  Then, all of the sudden, even though I didn't lose any more weight, it became angled like when I was in my 20s.  I thought it was just the cameras I was using to take photos of myself, that the lens somehow squashed the images of my face; but it isn't that.  It's simply that the body goes through these stages of remodeling, the longer you lift weights.

Another area of my body:  my abdominal area had a pocket of fat on my right side that I had noticed for quite a while.  And then one day, it just sort of disappeared.  It's like, one day it is there; and then the next, it's gone.

Exercise long enough, and you will become unrecognizable to people who knew you years ago, as your body will have changed shape so much.  If you could compress the remodeling into a single day, it would be the perfect camouflage for spies!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food, exercise, fitness, health

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users