Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

HBO's + BBC's Years and Years

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
https://techcrunch.c...ears-and-years/

“Years and Years” is an unusual show. It’s a co-production of HBO and the BBC, and in the course of six hourlong episodes, it covers a span of more than 10 years in our near future.

During that time, we see the rise of a terrifying Trump-style politician in the United Kingdom named Vivian Rook (played by Emma Thompson), along with lots more political, economic and technological upheaval. All of this is seen through the eyes of Manchester’s Lyons family — grandmother Muriel and adult siblings Rory, Edith, Daniel and Rosie, plus their spouses and children.

No one in the family is a major power player; they simply watch everything change with a growing sense of dread. That, in large part, is what makes the show effective — it feels true to the experience of trying to get on with your life while the world shifts around you.

I've got to watch that show now!

Here is a wiki page that summarizes the episodes:

https://en.wikipedia...ars_(TV_series)
  • Casey and Yuli Ban like this

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

It will be awesome when we actually reach 2029 and see how unrealistic that show's predictions were. 

https://youtu.be/-fu7jN2_2pE?t=178

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Already translated to Russian, so I'll start watching tomorrow.

It will be awesome when we actually reach 2029 and see how unrealistic that show's predictions were. 

Yes, it would be interesting.

Here is a wiki page that summarizes the episodes:

https://en.wikipedia...ars_(TV_series)

Not going to open this.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
Any streaming services that offer this? I don't have traditional TV.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
You can buy an HBO subscription and use the HBO Now app. It's not too expensive, and they may give you a 30 day free trial -- I don't recall.

HBO has lots of good shows like that, so it's not a bad idea to buy a subscription. e.g. Chernobyl, Westworld, True Detective, and Game of Thrones are all HBO shows. Lovecraft Country will air later this year, and there might be some other good series to watch for.

I've watched some episodes of Years and Years, and skipped through bits of the remaining ones. (For example, I skipped to the scene in episode 5 where Stephen encounters Viv Rook, where she reveals her true nature, to see what it's like.)

The series isn't intended to be an accurate forecast of the next 10 years, in terms of exactly what will happen. One can think of it as more a depiction of what the experience will be like -- there will be upheavals and crazy things happening, we just can't say what they will be; yet, life will go on, and people will forget about them a month later. So, in that sense, I think the show gives a realistic forecast -- realistic about the feels and emotions.

The series does show some really interesting -- and plausible -- technologies. The "hand phone" was a neat idea, as was the holographic face mask. I could see both of those existing; just might not be widely adopted (because their functionality would be supplanted by other technologies).

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

I watched the first episode last night. It was OK. 

A flaw in the holographic face mask concept is that, since it also covers the front of the wearer's mouth and nose, it would fog up. 

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
Well, there are clear plastic face-shields used in medicine -- e.g. when treating a patient with a nasty disease, where you don't want the patient coughing on you and sending a particle into your eye. You can do a Google image search for "clear plastic face-shield" and find lots of different types and styles.

Probably you could coat it with some kind of anti-fog material -- such as you can buy for your car window -- that keeps it transparent.

It's interesting the optical effects of water vapor on a glass surface. If you increase the depth, then you have a little layer of water; and it's, for all intents and purposes, transparent again -- you only have problems when there is only a very thin layer. The fact that the effect is reversible like this makes one think if it's possible to mimic a deep layer of water where the fog hits the surface (by etching the surface, maybe; or coating it with an oil or something), then it should be possible to maintain the transparency even if you breathe heavily.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

=== No, nothing. I'll better write a new post after watching the whole thing === 

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Everyone is too cheerful and chipper in the show, and the English weather is unrealistically nice. 

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

The question to people who watched the British original: are they really saying (in the news) about Soviet army that took control over Ukraine and Communist party (of Ukraine?) that is prosecuting the poor gay-dissident Viktor? And this all happened after Ukraine has joined (or was occupied by) the Putin's Russia?

FACEPALM.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Yes, I dit it. Just watched the whole first season. In general, very good movie, reflecting the "spirit of epoch", so to say. I wanted to write an essay, but no, let's refrain from this. As well as from few ironical remarks...

Except one: the monstrous full name of Viktor. A typical flaw of Western movies: they don't even bother to find the real Slavic names, just make up the random crap that (as screenwriters think) sound "Slavic". Horrible...

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Rory Kinnear has pretty bad hair transplants. 

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

pretty bad hair transplants. 

So bad that even invisible... he was bald, as far as i remember.

But there were even weirder things than "bad hair transplants". I must admit, I do not understand the cultural context and therefore can not judge was it the sophisticated trolling and political satire or the straightforward politcorrectness of 99th level.

The "typical British" Lyons family consist of:

Muriel - the grandmother

Stephen - husband, white heterosexual male

Celeste - his wife, black

Daniel - Stephen's brother, gay

Edith - Stephen's sister, political activist, lesbian

Rosie - Stephen's sister, on wheelchair

Bethany - Stephen's daugther, "transhuman", coloured, lesbian

Ruby - Stephen's daugther, coloured

Lincoln - Rosie's son, chinese, crossdresser

??? - Rosie's son, white, mentally disabled

Ralph Cousins - Daniel's former husband, gay

Viktor Goraya - Daniel's partner, gay

Fran Baxter - Edith's partner, political activist, black, lesbian

Jonjo - Rosie's boyfriend (later husband), middle easterner

This is a bit too much, don't you think so? Also, from the whole Lyons family, only white heterosexual male Stephen commits the seriously bad things. But this happens rather because of his weakness, not strength. Eventually, minorities forgive him and re-accept as a family member... out of non-Lyons, we can see the same pattern: doctors and scientists are predominantly non-white, but concentration camp guards are predominantly white... well done BBC!

What will be the demographic future of Lyons family and who will inherit the old family house? Bethany is lesbian, young Lincoln also drops out of the game. So, it should be the future children of Ruby (if she, too, won't turn out to be lesbian) and children of Jonjo and Rosie. Anyway, none of them will be native Briton.

• Yuli Ban, joe00uk and funkervogt like this

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

I agree the show really overplayed the "diversity card" in its casting. Very few British families have this kind of composition. 

• Yuli Ban likes this

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

There ain't no way we're getting mind upload technology by 2032. 

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Just finished watching it today. Amazing show. Suggested it to all my friends and family. Some of the predictions seem a little optimistic to me within the time frame of the show but it's definitely believable so who knows.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

pretty bad hair transplants. 

So bad that even invisible... he was bald, as far as i remember.

But there were even weirder things than "bad hair transplants". I must admit, I do not understand the cultural context and therefore can not judge was it the sophisticated trolling and political satire or the straightforward politcorrectness of 99th level.

The "typical British" Lyons family consist of:

Muriel - the grandmother

Stephen - husband, white heterosexual male

Celeste - his wife, black

Daniel - Stephen's brother, gay

Edith - Stephen's sister, political activist, lesbian

Rosie - Stephen's sister, on wheelchair

Bethany - Stephen's daugther, "transhuman", coloured, lesbian

Ruby - Stephen's daugther, coloured

Lincoln - Rosie's son, chinese, crossdresser

??? - Rosie's son, white, mentally disabled

Ralph Cousins - Daniel's former husband, gay

Viktor Goraya - Daniel's partner, gay

Fran Baxter - Edith's partner, political activist, black, lesbian

Jonjo - Rosie's boyfriend (later husband), middle easterner

This is a bit too much, don't you think so? Also, from the whole Lyons family, only white heterosexual male Stephen commits the seriously bad things. But this happens rather because of his weakness, not strength. Eventually, minorities forgive him and re-accept as a family member... out of non-Lyons, we can see the same pattern: doctors and scientists are predominantly non-white, but concentration camp guards are predominantly white... well done BBC!

What will be the demographic future of Lyons family and who will inherit the old family house? Bethany is lesbian, young Lincoln also drops out of the game. So, it should be the future children of Ruby (if she, too, won't turn out to be lesbian) and children of Jonjo and Rosie. Anyway, none of them will be native Briton.

I think the point was there's "too much" going on. It's trying to show as much diversity as possible. Like Rosie choosing not to get healed because she genuinely believed there was nothing wrong with her. She's lived her whole life in a wheelchair and sees no need to change. To a person who can walk that seems almost insane.

Then there's the Daughter being transhuman (also did they ever confirm that she was a lesbian?). They do that to show up and coming technologies and the strife it causes her family to understand why someone would want to askew biology altogether. The difference between people who don't want upgrades, and the people that do. To show that at first these upgrades will be so insanely expensive she literally couldn't afford them herself.

Also Lincoln being a cross dresser, you see the family immediately accept it without barely a thought, showing that things like this have become even more normalized than they are today

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

I think the point was there's "too much" going on. It's trying to show as much diversity as possible. Like Rosie choosing not to get healed because she genuinely believed there was nothing wrong with her. She's lived her whole life in a wheelchair and sees no need to change. To a person who can walk that seems almost insane.

But this is indeed insane, the political correctness brought to absurdity, from "person on wheelchair is equal to others" to "being on wheelchair is equal to walk on your feet". Btw, there was a scene where Rosie said she would like to change this, but this is too expensive.

Then there's the Daughter being transhuman (also did they ever confirm that she was a lesbian?).

This was briefly mentioned. As far as I remember, her younger sister Ruby was making jokes and calling Bethany "sodomite" and they both laughed on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users