Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

freezing yourself?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

science man

science man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hey guys remember those movies where the people freeze themselves so they can be re-awakened at some point in the future? Do you ability to be able to that successfully will actually become reality? I don't.

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday
Why?

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
I think it is entirely possible. Once we have something like wide spread use of nanabots, we can repair any damage to cells done by freezing, which means we should be able to revive people frozen with even today's methods.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
Already now it is possible to freeze the body with some cryconservation company. We don't know when but maybe in the future the bodies that are already frozen can be "resurected".

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
It depends what you're talking about. If you're talking about freezing yourself cryogenically, then I don't know, probably. It depends on how future medicine develops, but it's hard to imagine it not being possible. If you're talking about reversible biostasis, then it's definitely possible.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

science man

science man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
here's why I don't think it's possible. To truly freeze someone you have to stop their heart hence they're dead. If we do develop a technology to revive people from that, then can that technology also be used to revive people from the grave? If not, why? (nanobots would get rid of the fact that they're much more aged because wouldn't it repair the damaged and dead cells?)

Edited by science man, 02 June 2012 - 06:25 AM.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
Well, there's this:

http://en.wikipedia....theoretic_death
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.
I hope Cryogenics does lift off and you can sleep/freeze yourself until the right date and time, would be great for going to planets far, far away from Earth.

Edited by Time_Traveller, 02 June 2012 - 07:14 AM.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
If freezing is done correctly and neural connections are intact, then such freezing and unfreezing should be like clinical death, probably unpleasant, but reversible. Years ago I considered people freezing themselves as idiots with dellusions about future, but right now... I don't know, maybe they'll get last laugh :)
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Already now it is possible to freeze the body with some cryconservation company. We don't know when but maybe in the future the bodies that are already frozen can be "resurected".

I think the ones that are done at the moment have no chance, the current freezing process destroys far too many important brain connections. Maybe if the technique improves quickly ones frozen in 5 or 10 years may be revivable.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
It isn't a black and white subject, its a big grey area and that area is just a matter of decay. The more decay the harder it is to revive. If someone is in the grave for 10 years, they probably don't have much of a brain left. As long as your brain is mostly intact it should be possible to revive you, though the more damage the more likely you are to be missing important data. The real advantage of cryonics is that time isn't that big of an issue. If it takes a 50 years or a 1000 as long as your brain remains in that state it doesn't really matter how long it takes, eventually they will get the technology to repair you.

science man

science man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Come to think of it, if nanobots can be the equivalent of the fountain of youth why would anyone ant to freeze themselves once the nanobot technology to do that is perfected because once it is, people could just constantly have the nanobots make them younger when they got old, couldn't they?

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
They probably wouldn't, though you could still use if you wanted to freeze yourself and wake up in the future, and skip all the time between now and when you want to wake up. It is kind of like time travel. Though it probably wouldn't be to common if you removed the health reasons for it.

science man

science man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Well, there's this:

http://en.wikipedia....theoretic_death

woe, cool
It makes me wonder though, if someone is dead (not due to being frozen) how long do they have before they reach that point where it's theoretically impossible to revive them?

Edited by science man, 04 June 2012 - 01:41 AM.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

I think the ones that are done at the moment have no chance, the current freezing process destroys far too many important brain connections. Maybe if the technique improves quickly ones frozen in 5 or 10 years may be revivable.

How is that possible that the frezzing process destroys important brain connections? I am just curious about that. Companies like Alchor seems quiet honest about the possibilities and the limits of current cryonics.
And how would you improve it? For me major improvments could only occur if they start to build more cryonics centers instead of cimiteries. That would increase the chances to survive. Also another way to improve the procedure wuld be the fasten the freezing process at the time of legal death.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
If you know you are going to die from a terminal disease that there is no treatment for they should allow you to use cryonics without having to 'die' first. Currently they will not allow you to do it while you are still alive because and its considered suicide. It is ironic that the laws that are supposed to help you live longer actually decrease your chances of survival.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
I hear you Arlic this is a pro-life procedure. One should dispose of thier own body however they want. But how M.Foucault was saying our body are institutionalized since the moment we born. Furthermore, in France years ago a man frozen his father into a freezer cell in his resturant to preserve his tissues. When the authroities found that out they forced him to take the bodys out of the freeze and to bury him into a cemetery. From this episode, the French parliament proclaimed cryonics illegal.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
http://cryonics.org/whatsold.html

here I found the episode..actully it was the mother

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
It is a problematic issue from juristictional point of view. It's intetion may be pro-life, but freezing is about stopping life functions. Frozen human is essentially dead with some possibility of being revived. So it's not strange or totally wrong to treat it as suicide. I wonder if countries allowing euthanasia will be the first ones to allow freezing of terminally ill patients.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
Yeah, but once a body is legally death, I do not understand where is the problem in preserving pepole. For example my country has a hugh Catholic tradition, but a good number of pepole have converted to Buddhism, therefore they want their body to become wax once they are dead, Despite the Pope is against this procedure, and the strong influence of the Catholic Chruch, our state guarentees to melt your body after death while it dosent allow cryonics. I speak about Italy but I think almost all European Countries adopt the same policies. Me as an atheist/agnostic I should grant the right to preserve my body because I do not believe in the after life and for me eternity and heaven can be only on this planet one day. Why I have to go to the US or in Russia one far day? I think that this debate should go to the EU Court.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users