Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

freezing yourself?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
You also lose all your rights while you are frozen too, and there is a lot of dangers because of that. They should considered cryonics to be a medical procedure to save someone's life, instead of an experiment done on a useless 'thing'. Which is what you are, just a thing under the law.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Yeah, but once a body is legally death, I do not understand where is the problem in preserving pepole.

Yeah but thing is we should froze your body BEFORE you die. Awakening dead person may not be possible.

You also lose all your rights while you are frozen too, and there is a lot of dangers because of that.

Fantastic point. Dead have no civil rights, probably no human rights too :)
Well then I guess freezing should be called "suspended animation" even if it's not correct since life functions must cease during frozen period.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Yeah, but once a body is legally death, I do not understand where is the problem in preserving pepole.

Yeah but thing is we should froze your body BEFORE you die. Awakening dead person may not be possible.

Craven thats what I meant in my previous post. I was saying that there should be no problem in freezing pepole when you are legally death. Frozen when you alive it could be an ethical problem for some but ceirtanily not for me.

You also lose all your rights while you are frozen too, and there is a lot of dangers because of that.

Fantastic point. Dead have no civil rights, probably no human rights too :)
Well then I guess freezing should be called "suspended animation" even if it's not correct since life functions must cease during frozen period.

At Arlic, while dead pepole have no civil rights they still retain some rights dead. Therefore no one can move them or dissemble bodies. Some countries have good policies over dead peple.

science man

science man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

They probably wouldn't, though you could still use if you wanted to freeze yourself and wake up in the future, and skip all the time between now and when you want to wake up. It is kind of like time travel. Though it probably wouldn't be to common if you removed the health reasons for it.

True. So I guess It would be down to personal preference.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
If aging isn't cured, than I will freeze myself. I also thought it was for "weirdos" until I realized the hopefully realistic science behind it. I just hope that by the time I'm an old man I can freeze myself while I am alive, and I also hope that the technology for stasis or a better way of freezing with nanobots will be available. I hope rights are given to frozen people, if they aren't will a will work? I would put in my will that I will not be revived until it has been done successfully on at least 5 people and I am not to be experimented on at all.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,020 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

If aging isn't cured, than I will freeze myself. I also thought it was for "weirdos" until I realized the hopefully realistic science behind it. I just hope that by the time I'm an old man I can freeze myself while I am alive, and I also hope that the technology for stasis or a better way of freezing with nanobots will be available. I hope rights are given to frozen people, if they aren't will a will work? I would put in my will that I will not be revived until it has been done successfully on at least 5 people and I am not to be experimented on at all.

Have you already picked a company who will freeze you?

There is a company that recommends an insurance policy that does include the cost of this process so you don't have to pay an insane amount of money to guarantee a slot.
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
There are so many now of cryonics company. Even in Russia now.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I didn't know there were many. I haven't looked as I'm 16 and not planning on dying, or risking it while the technology is in its infancy.

Edited by SG-1, 04 June 2012 - 04:17 AM.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
Here are some but in the past I have seen others around internet and even on tv. Alcor apparently seems to be the most expensive. I would give a try. It is better to decompose yourself. At least you have a chance to gamble.
http://www.cryonics.org/

http://www.alcor.org/

http://old.kriorus.ru/english.html

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,020 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I didn't know there were many. I haven't looked as I'm 16 and not planning on dying, or risking it while the technology is in its infancy.

Although you are only 16, you can die any time. Accidents can happen, you know.

It doesn't hurt to get an insurance policy that will pay for the cost of cryonic preservation.

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

It doesn't hurt to get an insurance policy that will pay for the cost of cryonic preservation.

Was that a joke? 16 year old's should get cryonic insurance in case of death? You do realise it doesn't matter anyway.. Once you're dead you don't suddenly miss not being alive in the future. I could set up a company who claims to freeze people when they die, take all their money and then just burn all the bodies. You're paying for peace of mind while you're alive that death won't be the end, once you're dead you no longer care about anything. It's the same as religion comforting dying people so they feel better. Plus with our current technology a burnt body probably has just as much chance being reanimated as one frozen with our pathetic current cryo technology.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
It feels like science fiction when you seriously consider it. I have no idea if the crystallization would cause damage. Does anyone have a better response than nanobots will do their job? If they have t0 rebuild your brain are you realy alive?

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
That is a ridiculous claim. With current technology a persons brain remains almost 100% intact with only minor damage at the molecular level. If the structure of the brain remains intact, then there is no reason to believe that future technology can't repair any of the damage done. The major things is that the brain wasn't receiving oxygen and the chemicals can be toxic. Which is why people think nanotechnology will help. If a nanobot can go in and start individual cells, and clean out any chemicals and repair any minor cell damage from the low temperature, then you should be able to be revived. Of course there is also the issue of healing whatever killed you in the first place. Cryonics is actually a very reasonable and logical conclusion to come to if you want to survive long term. It is probably just a matter of time until they get the technology to revive you. I think its nearly guaranteed. I think the bigger issue is that you need to survive political instability and things like that. If there is a nuclear war or something, you can still die will under cryonics.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I am going to hang on until I can at least afford it. Even if I wanted to, my parents are ignorant Christians and wouldn't let me buy it (or afford it). Hopefully by the time I can afford it there will be strong evidence it will work or another method besides cryonics. Spending $200,000 on freezing yourself only to have a better alternative before you die that you cannot afford would suck.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
I plan on getting cryonics, though I can't really afford it at the moment. It is a gamble but I can save money now to increases my chances later. Taking those risks are a part of life, so it doesn't worry me to much. That said, you do want to wait as long as possible. The better technology used to preserve you, the less technology you need to revive you. Also if you last until wide spread use of nanobots and stuff, then you probably won't need cryonics. Since the nanobots that will be able to revive you after preservation, can probably just cure whatever is wrong with you while you are alive. It will also likely take less powerful nanobots to heal you, than to revive you. Cryonics is like a backup plan. If you can afford it, then I think you should do it and protect yourself. However if you can't then you rely on plan A. Cryonics is like car insurance. In most cases you probably could drive around without insurance and you will be just fine. However if you ever need it, you will probably wish you had it.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,020 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Was that a joke? 16 year old's should get cryonic insurance in case of death? You do realise it doesn't matter anyway.. Once you're dead you don't suddenly miss not being alive in the future. I could set up a company who claims to freeze people when they die, take all their money and then just burn all the bodies. You're paying for peace of mind while you're alive that death won't be the end, once you're dead you no longer care about anything. It's the same as religion comforting dying people so they feel better. Plus with our current technology a burnt body probably has just as much chance being reanimated as one frozen with our pathetic current cryo technology.

You are making a lot of assumptions there, buddy. Any proof that you have to justify your claims?

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

You are making a lot of assumptions there, buddy. Any proof that you have to justify your claims?

When someone successfully freezes and unfreezes something bigger than a few cells we'll talk. Plus you're the one making the massive assumption that mdoern day cryogenics works, I'm just going by what science has shown so far. You're basing your decisions on technology that doesn't exist yet and we don't even know how it would work... It's not much different than me keeping all my childhood drawings of dinosaurs because in the future we'll probably be able to bring all the drawings to life and put them in a zoo. If you really don't wanna die and desperately want to come back to life in an amazing world where anything in possible it's a lot cheaper to just become a Christian. But really, there's no problem with death. As I mentioned before you only want to see the future now whilst you're alive, once you're frozen you'll have no desire to wake up. Anyway, if the world continues to get more and more populated and people start living forever, why would anyone then want to revive weird frozen people from the past who achieved nothing notable in their lifetimes and have nothing to contribute to the future?

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
They will do it because they paid for it. Assuming it works why won't people do it? Are you so against this that you are saying they won't even honor it if they can? It's a very pseudo-science

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
You are obviously biased and for some reason very hostile to the idea. A nearly perfectly preserved brain is totally different than a childhood picture and you know it. With how fast technology is advancing we have to predict future technologies all the time. Heck if you want to go to collage to study engineering, there is a good chance the job your going to get will use technology not yet invented, and so you have to plan your education ahead of time. In fact I am studying engineering in collage right now and I want to work on things that don't even exist yet. If you sit back and only wait for things to come out before you react you are missing out on a lot of stuff. Also there is a lot of reasons to revive people from the past. 1. They have a moral obligation because they made a contract with you. 2. Because we are an insanely curious species and will do stuff just for the sake of seeing if we can. 3. People from the past have a unique perspective of history and can give a great deal of insight into the history of when they were frozen. 4. Friends and family will want to see you again. Also we already can freeze and unfreeze some things larger than a few cells. We know it is fully possible on the short term, we just have not done it over a long span of time yet.

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Link me to the most complex thing you can find that's been successfully frozen for a reasonable time then unfrozen and is fully functional. I'm curious and it's a lot of effort to search for it, but i'm pretty sure it's still very small and crap. Also, this obsession with living forever and seeing the future is just so selfish. Can't you just have children and then die like everyone else does? Think of the wellbeing of the species as a whole instead of your own selfish needs. Accept the fact that the future doesn't want to see you. You think you need it much more than it needs you. Embrace the peaceful, painless state of death and be satisfied with the present. If you convince yourself now that you don't belong in this time and will enjoy the future more, that viewpoint won't change when you arrive in the future. You'll just keep thinking you need to go further and further into the future and will never find happiness. Everything you need is here right now. The future will happen and you will see some of it, but the bits you don't see won't matter. Your desperate fear of death is no better than the religious fanatics. Your interest in cryogenics and eternal life is nothing but a substitute for heaven to help you to deal with your pointless existence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users