Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What would you do if you had medical immortality?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Assume that treatments that confer medical immortality are invented before the end of your natural life, and you get the treatments, restoring you to good health indefinitely. 

What kinds of things would you do with your life? 

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

I'll start:

1) Become independently wealthy and gain enough assets to produce a comfortable yearly income (approx. $150,000 in 2019 dollars). (I'm already working towards this, BTW)

2) Serve a term of service in the military. Possibly the infantry just to get the purest experience. 

3) Visit every country and Antarctica. 

4) Get a J.D. and spend a few years practicing as a lawyer. (I think it would be very valuable to gain a "lawyer's mindset" and to be able to turn it on and off as needed)

5) Spend a year living alone in a cabin, getting all my food from hunting, trapping and fishing. 

6) Have lots of kids. 

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationLondon

2) Serve a term of service in the military. Possibly the infantry just to get the purest experience.

Active service, or just training? (if the former, then WTF)

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Active service. 

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationLondon
Why would you want to put your life at risk?
  • Raklian likes this

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,020 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I will become a wanderer among the stars. After we figure out a form of limitless propulsion and molecular assembler for limitless food and drinks, I will depart from this world and explore the Universe forever.... alone. There is no point bringing irritating humans with me. I will only need an A.I. for a companion.

• wjfox likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

I would do all the stuff I am doing now, just more of it. Having more time just means you can fit in all the stuff you might never get around to.

• wjfox likes this

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
If I had essentially infinite time, and didn't have to worry about earning a living (post-capitalism), then I'd probably do deeper research work than I do right now. There are lots of things I would love to pursue, but that are too risky -- they might not pay off (in terms of leading to good research); but if they did, it would be huge.

Most people have never experienced the thrill of producing a "result" in the sciences. "Where does it come from?" I often wonder. I think much of it probably comes from reward circuits in the brain, that ultimately are based in innate desire for human contact (and sharing the discovery with others), as well as the thrill of surprise and "belief revision". So, it's not ultimately about what's "out there", but more to do with what's "in here".

Perhaps it would be a good idea to reveal who I am to one of you, so you understand better where I'm coming from -- perhaps wjfox (who, I trust, would keep my identity safe). I'll have to think about it...
  • Raklian and funkervogt like this

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Because I want to have the experience. 

• Outlook likes this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

True shit. The military provides an experience, and it's one of the things I also want to do.

Many people dont understand why I have a desire to join a military and risk my life, but I think the greatest video that communicate my desire comes from-- ironically-- one of the best anti-war films this decade.

https://youtu.be/65lBIYO_Ssw

It's african child soldiers being revved up by their commander to go into battle, and then them marching in. It's the perfect capture of that masculine spirit, the reason why men and women join the military to find purpose.
Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/bE_UDATn42E

Omosoap

Omosoap

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

I would continue on my current path. Everyday, I strive to learn, love, listen, evolve, and help.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUK

Travel the world and beyond. Walk the best trails, climb the most impressive mountains. Explore all of the Earths biodiversity from tropical rainforests to the Antarctic, to the bottom of the Ocean.  Live for prolonged periods in many countries, climates and cultures. Learn multiple languages and dialects. Acquire better survival, hunting, fishing, carpentry and bushcraft skills. Study all of humanities history to an intense degree. Get a medical degree, a neuroscience, physics and economics degree. Become proficient in multiple martial arts. Go on months-long meditation retreats with the most enlightened practitioners. Help restore natural ecosystems. Discover new species. 

• wjfox and funkervogt like this

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

You can tell this is a special group of people because no one has yet chimed in with: "I wouldn't want to live forever because it would get boring." 

Only a boring person would be afraid of that happening. 

• wjfox, Zaphod and Casey like this

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

You know, the fastest and most efficient way to get a lifetime's worth of experience in some other lifestyle, profession, or culture is to merge your mind with a person who already has it, and to copy their memories, personality traits, and skills to your own mind. I can't even imagine how profoundly such a merging would change your outlook and sense of self. After so many centuries of doing this, you would be an enlightened being only partly related to the lonely, limited, unitary being you are now. 

I think we're definitely headed towards something like a hive-mind or shared consciousness, and that it will make us more humane and civilized than ever before. 

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,020 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Travel the world and beyond. Walk the best trails, climb the most impressive mountains. Explore all of the Earths biodiversity from tropical rainforests to the Antarctic, to the bottom of the Ocean.  Live for prolonged periods in many countries, climates and cultures. Learn multiple languages and dialects. Acquire better survival, hunting, fishing, carpentry and bushcraft skills. Study all of humanities history to an intense degree. Get a medical degree, a neuroscience, physics and economics degree. Become proficient in multiple martial arts. Go on months-long meditation retreats with the most enlightened practitioners. Help restore natural ecosystems. Discover new species. 

Sounds like what a commoner would do in a ultra-advanced civilization.  :prankster:

What are you without the sum of your parts?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationLondon

I think we're definitely headed towards something like a hive-mind or shared consciousness, and that it will make us more humane and civilized than ever before. 

Hmm.

https://youtu.be/N75XngwbZQY

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

True shit. The military provides an experience, and it's one of the things I also want to do.

Many people dont understand why I have a desire to join a military and risk my life, but I think the greatest video that communicate my desire comes from-- ironically-- one of the best anti-war films this decade.

https://youtu.be/65lBIYO_Ssw

It's african child soldiers being revved up by their commander to go into battle, and then them marching in. It's the perfect capture of that masculine spirit, the reason why men and women join the military to find purpose.

If my entire post is off base and I'm reacting to healthy engagement in fantasy that's fine and I'm sorry in advance. But I can't tell, and if you guys are serious that's really dangerous for you and everyone else should either of you guys actualize on this desire. 

\/ 

If either of you ever try to join any armed forces in the future than you owe it to yourselves and others to watch this short documentary. 

(WARNING VIDEO EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

https://vimeo.com/345953136

The password is "way737"

If you can't be bothered to listen to a real documentary that isn't romanticized than skip to 17:33 and watch the whole scene please. If you can't watch the whole scene you're not fit for battle to begin with. You do owe it to yourselves and everyone else to watch the whole documentary (It's not all graphic content, most of it is discussion) and listen to actual veterans speak should you decide to try to join any war. They would tell you that war is hell, turns men to monsters and there is no glory in it. If you care enough to shoot someone you should care enough to hear the plea of someone begging you not to. And keep in mind that the Afghan War is a small skirmish with magnitudes less suffering in comparison to The Second Congo War or The Great War.

Hopefully the video will spark something in the both of you that the 1,000 word+ erorant I wrote but will spare the forum from probably wouldn't have. 

P.S Whatever anti-war activists made that scene you posted Outlook are morons. If they wanted to stop war they could start by not glorifying it with such an epic scene. 

P.SS I feel like a bloody anti-abortion activist right now. "See! See! Look at how bloody and horrible this dead fetus is you morons look!" But no, for realz, it be like that sometimes. 

P.SSS (Third Edit) I know being preachy and directly addressing people comes off as accusatory and often isn't effective. I just really care about this and can't really contain myself. That doesn't mean I'm wrong, but I'm not sure anyone else you guys encounter are going to be willing to stand up and say something and sometimes this is the only approach I can communicate. Humans have a responsibility to each other to stop one another from doing things that are fatally stupid. I'm not trying to be mean, disrespectful or overbearing, but from where I'm sitting joining the core for kicks is a fatally stupid thing to do. That's probably where Will's "WTF" was coming from too. 

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Probably do the same thing as I am currently doing and watch society move forward (or not!). One element of my reality that would change is i'd be less concern about the end and more focused on improving myself to become the best I could be.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

P.S Whatever anti-war activists made that scene you posted Outlook are morons. If they wanted to stop war they could start by not glorifying it with such an epic scene. 

Aw, I don't want to put you off it since it's one of my favorite movies. You have to watch the movie to know why it's such a great anti-war film, I just showed you when they swung the pendulum one way. I didn't show the rape, the massacres, the manipulation, the indoctrination that goes into it. Human nature isn't sugar-coated, one of the child-soldiers you'll like in the film stomps a toddler to death. It'll leave you shook by the end, and question a lot about violence and warfare.

I can't find any of the scenes on youtube, except this one which is near the end of the movie when things quiet down anyways. https://youtu.be/UMVt8IpKNQs

To respond to the rest of your post though

I like to think I'm not ignorant to what modern warfare is like. I used to clip from the movie to communicate the feeling of the motivation in joining the military, because a move is built that way. It's meant to convey a certain emotion, unlike reality. I admit I was being shallow when I made that post, I went into my emotions for going and not rationale for it.

It's not like I haven't watched war videos where some guy is patrolling a building and gets sniped in the head, or an ied goes off leaving civilians flailing and crawling on the floor, or a video of a man shooting a rocket at a group of conversing soldiers. I think one of the things that really fucked me up and kept me really scared of violence and conflict though was this execution video from mexico. Or two actually. One where they cut this kids father's head off beside him and then cut out his heart while he was still alive (fuck you Yuli), and another where this person skinned the face off of this rival gang member and slit his throat with a box-cutter. I've stopped watching stuff like that since then for my own sanity, but it's led me to question deeply things like pain, fear, care, and psychopathy.

The video that you linked, where a soldier gets blown up with his face disfigured, is a perfect example of what goes through my mind when I see things like that.

When I see that video, I question beliefs and biases. Imagine living with a disfigured face for the rest of your life, or relying on artificial legs to walk. While initially I'm faced with fear, I quickly question it, and try to kill it. Facing something like that becomes a challenge to me. It's evidence to me that comfortable existence is as stupid and absurd as chronic pain. Why should beauty matter in the world when a man can undergo that level of disfiguration? How can a man survive mentally? Wouldn't the strength of  his character determine what it really means to be a true human being, one where the disfigurement of his face matters little to the conduct of his actions? How stupid are our current biases towards the aesthetic and beauty when a man could have his face blown off?

And that kind of thing is not isolated to warfare. People have that happen to them from animal attacks, car accidents, and other uncontrollable things. The lesson I get from it is not that I shouldn't enter warfare, it's that I shouldn't care about pain and appearance. Likewise being shot randomly, and dying without even knowing. That's evidence of life's absurdity and uncare. To me, it shows that I should not care what happens to me, how others see me, what life gives me because to fear pain and death is absurd. To think it's worse than comfort is absurd.

But forget that, you bring up a much much more excellent point.

They would tell you that war is hell, turns men to monsters and there is no glory in it. If you care enough to shoot someone you should care enough to hear the plea of someone begging you not to.

Mentioning the torture video earlier, when I see that I understand the kind of people that who I want to see as my enemies. The ones who inflict suffering and pain out of pleasure, the ones who exploit the weak and innocent, the ones who do not care for pleas of the soldier on the floor begging not to die. I've always considered these kinds of people animals, and I've always expected myself not to hold mercy if I ever was to face one. But what if I became one of them? 

Right now, I don't think I can commit a heinous crime. Morally, I'm stuck to a knot. If I was in SAW and forced to make a choice to kill someone painlessly, or kill myself very painfully, I'll kill myself very painfully because my morality demands it to my death. To kill the self in the ultimate goal of becoming divine, I should not care about my pain and suffering as much as I should care for the beauty of humanity and the divine. Be virtuous till it kills you.

However, committing heinous crimes is not something people think they'll do until they actually do it. Out of peer pressure, out of someone's own thinking, out of fear, out of taking orders. More worryingly though, I have a sadist side to my personality. I enjoy domination, power, conquest, control very naturally. It doesn't bear on my morality, I'm still completely averse to human suffering and I'm far more moral now than any time in my life before, but that part of me still exists and it's a very large part of me.

The fact that I can dehumanize others as animals should be seen as proof that I can turn into a reprehensible human being. I'd like to imagine that I can critically think my way out of it, but above all I'm just another human, another ape. Still, I don't think that when I'm faced with such a decision, I'll fall to it. I have faith in my morality and my ability to not follow the herd, despite my doubts.

In all honesty, me wanting to become a soldier and entering war is a reaction to my country's civil war. I wanted to be a physicist in middle-school, but the civil war taught me very quickly why violence was important in the world, whether I liked it or not. I don't want to join the Canadian military to kill people, I want to join it to become strong, and gain the ability to protect the things I love. I want to learn discipline, warfare, and things that really matter to me. I don't expect at all to be faced with conditions that require me to commit atrocious acts unless world war 3 starts soon or something.

In the Libyan civil war, the ones who thrived and soared were the selfish, greedy, and morally corrupt, because the morally right are naturally the ones that would choose justice, the law, diplomacy, and the plight of the people over violence. They're the ones that would happily bear being poor, instead of robbing the poor violently. It taught me why sometimes it's a requirement for the morally right, the ones who care more about sympathy, justice and innocence than their pockets, or their social status to understand the instrument of war and politics if they want to see their society improve.

In my mind, it's the difference between say someone like you picking up a gun instead of an Islamist who wouldn't think twice about executing the innocent. There's the criticism that violence and politics turns people into animals, as you say, and I'd agree to some extent but that's only because people that fall to it don't have a correct moral view in the first place. Killing will always be wrong to the ones who think that ultimately it is wrong. That ultimately society should be humanist, trustworthy, and sympathetic. Not harsh. It's ideological, and the ones with that ideology are often the ones who are pacifists as well. Don't get me wrong, pacifism can work very well in a liberalized and stable society, but I definitely do not agree that it will work in a society that's broken down.

TL;DR: Pain and death doesn't matter to me. I have faith that I won't turn into a monster. People like us should be the ones who know the most about warfare and should be the ones who make the morally hard decisions, not the morally corrupt who are naturally inclined it.

Okay, I'm sleeping now.

• Erowind likes this
Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/bE_UDATn42E

tomasth

tomasth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Immortality here just mean more [of the same] living.

Everyone start not knowing what they are going to do with their arbitrary limited life (up to the ageing limits).

So more of the same answer make sense since its just more life span. (Discovering what possible is part of that).

Without limits to life span , one can discover all the technologies mentioned here and do all the things others said and have time to discover and invent new ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users