Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Possible FTL-Drive?

ftl

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Gorwo

Gorwo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I know, "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word NO", and i dont think FTL will ever be possible, but for a few weeks now i have this idea of a possible FTL-ship in my head which i never heared of anywhere. it depends on the properties of dark energy and some othe stuff and probably will not work, but i cant think of any scientific proof against it... so here it is:

How about moving a spaceship by creating chunks of spacetime behind it and (maybe, if possible) deleting chunks of spacetime in front of it? as far as i know dark energy is supposed to do exactly that all the time (creating chunks of spacetime). your "speed" should be limited only by how fast you can create (and maybe delete) spacetime.

If dark energy realy is creating new spacetime this should work (?) or is dark energy only stretching spacetime?

what do you guys think?

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
It’s creative; I’ll give you that. Journal of a Cardboard genius had something similar.

My FTL method is to heat the ship to ‘absolute hot’ past Planck temperatures. The laws of physics no longer apply so it’s possible the ship could then move FTL.
  • Mr.posthuman likes this

Mr.posthuman

Mr.posthuman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

It’s creative; I’ll give you that. Journal of a Cardboard genius had something similar.

My FTL method is to heat the ship to ‘absolute hot’ past Planck temperatures. The laws of physics no longer apply so it’s possible the ship could then move FTL.

Why laws of physics no longer apply ?
  • Maximum7 likes this

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
This from Wikipedia of Absolute Hot

“ There is no existing scientific theory for the behavior of matter at these energies.”

Therefore FTL is possible. Highly unlikely but who know.

Whereas

Whereas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

The OP (Welcome to Future Timeline, BTW) is pretty much describing the basic concept of the Alcubierre drive ... except that space can't really be destroyed or created, but can instead be squeezed or stretched. And doing that would probably require negative matter - the existence of which has to date been neither proven nor ruled out.

If you're wrong, how would you know it?

Gorwo

Gorwo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

No no no, the Alcubiere Warpdrive works (as you say) by squeezing or stretching spacetime, my idea works by creating/destroying it. As far as i know we dont realy have a full understanding of dark energy, i. e. we cannot say if creating/destroying spacetime is possible. If it is possible you could "delete" spacetime in front of you to get "closer" to your destination. (thx for the welcome BTW) ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ftl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users