Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Douglas Adams British Comedy Parody

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,930 posts

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy: 40 years of parody and predictions

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02969-8

Introduction:

(Nature) It begins simply. “Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.”

Astonishingly, it is 40 years since Douglas Adams published The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy. We’ve since replaced digital watches with smartphones and virtual assistants, and we rarely describe them as “neat”. Yet the themes of the book have hardly dated. As ecosystems are destroyed to make way for roads, artificial intelligence (AI) threatens to get seriously unruly and the Universe continually reveals it’s a lot more complicated than we thought, Adams’s creation and its deadpan surreality never seem to fade.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide began life as a BBC radio comedy in 1978, a year before the first book was published. Adams wrote four more volumes. Before he died in 2001, the 5 books had between them sold more than 15 million copies. The scientific community teemed with fans, including the late theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking, who provided the voice of the titular Guide in a 2018 radio reboot of the story.

d41586-019-02969-8_17222552.jpg

Warwick Davis, Martin Freeman, Sam Rockwell and Mos Def in the 2005 film adaptation of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

Credit: Entertainment Pictures/Alamy

• Zaphod likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

• eacao and caltrek like this

Cloned

Cloned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationEU

The best sci-fiction book ever written.
I actually listened to the audiobook - I think it's even better than the book because of the musical background and the intonation of the actor.

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationAustralia

The best sci-fiction book ever written.
I actually listened to the audiobook - I think it's even better than the book because of the musical background and the intonation of the actor.

which reading? I want to have a listen

If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

Cloned

Cloned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationEU

eacao

which reading? I want to have a listen

You are right - the edition of an audiobook and an acting voice is very important.
So, there is a 5 books (the complete trilogy of five) narrated by actors:

1. Stephen Fry
2. Martin Freeman
3. Martin Freeman
4. Martin Freeman
5. Martin Freeman

9780230700321.jpg

• caltrek likes this

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I just hope we don't succumb to the bizarre situation in which aliens suddenly materialize in the blue sky and announce via the loudspeakers that Earth, along with the entire solar system, would be eradicated to pave a galactic super-highway. lol

It would be extremely disturbing if that were to actually happen. Who's to say it can't happen. We have no proof to the contrary.

All the more reason to support Elon Musk's vision of humanity as a space-faring civilization. Ha.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

I just hope we don't succumb to the bizarre situation in which aliens suddenly materialize in the blue sky and announce via the loudspeakers that Earth, along with the entire solar system, would be eradicated to pave a galactic super-highway. lol

Don't worry Raklian, I'll pick you up in my spaceship. 

• Raklian and Erowind like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Douglas Adams, British Comedy, Parody

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users