Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How does one prepare for the future?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Merlin

Merlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCamelot, Albion

Hi. I've been a long time reader of this website, though I practically never participate in the forums.

Some introductions: I'm a chemical engineer that started my career in the electronics manufacturing industry about a year and a half ago. I'm currently also going for my masters in manufacturing engineering and trying to focus my electives on electronics fabrication (semiconductor, MEMs, etc.)

I was originally inspired to go into engineering by reading a couple of books about the future as well as by reading the content on this website. I wanted to help bring about these technologies, and although I'm not great at math and science, I thought I could contribute by working hard and possibly becoming a decent engineer.

Question: How does one actually prepare for the future? Almost everyone reading this will know about 5G, the Internet of Things, increased automation, self driving cars, Blockchain, etc. These more near-future technologies could radically transform the world. This is not even including technologies such as artificial general intelligence. How do you even prepare for something like that? And if overall technological development keeps up its current pace, things such as AGI might be here sooner rather than later.

• Yuli Ban and Outlook like this

quantumdoc

quantumdoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

hi merlin,

interesting question. I have thought of this quite a bit. I think the best guess anyone can do is first postulate how society may be functioning in the future, as in predominant jobs, financial system, transportation, and natural resource sustainability practices. Then we can try to prepare our children based off of how we think the world will be. For example, today, I believe computer software and engineering is the very sought after in the workforce. 50 years ago, did anyone see that? Some did I suppose. Very interesting topic.

"what we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning" WH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users