Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

major for human augmentation tech

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

archer

archer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMalibu

What major should I choose if I want to work on human augmentation tech vis a vis neuroprosthetics, mind uploading, neuroenhancement etc.?

I'm deciding between cognitive science, neuroscience, computational neuroscience and cybernetics. Any idea who I should talk to/ read/ do going forward? I'm currently a sophomore and deciding a transfer since my current university doesn't have any of these and most of the professors for the most part don't know any of these either, but I'm still talking to a few of them regarding this. I'd absolutely appreciate any help.

quantumdoc

quantumdoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

wow, this is awesome that you are considering this. I believe some sort of computer engineering would be the major, then of course multiple subspecialties subsequent to this involving neuroscience, cybernetics, etc. There are many approaches to this. If you would like to specialize in the human "accepting" the augmentation, I suspect neurosurgery or medical school may be the approach, but if you are more interested in the mechanics and engineering then MIT and mechanical/computer engineering would be the road. I would call the companies actually hiring for the position you are interested in and ask them the qualifications they love to see. Its sort of reverse planning. Once I looked up the job board for Google and Boston Dynamics. They posted the job titles they are searching for in robotics, then they list the degrees and minimum qualifications they are looking for. 

Hope this helps.

• archer likes this

"what we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning" WH

archer

archer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMalibu

wow, this is awesome that you are considering this. I believe some sort of computer engineering would be the major, then of course multiple subspecialties subsequent to this involving neuroscience, cybernetics, etc. There are many approaches to this. If you would like to specialize in the human "accepting" the augmentation, I suspect neurosurgery or medical school may be the approach, but if you are more interested in the mechanics and engineering then MIT and mechanical/computer engineering would be the road. I would call the companies actually hiring for the position you are interested in and ask them the qualifications they love to see. Its sort of reverse planning. Once I looked up the job board for Google and Boston Dynamics. They posted the job titles they are searching for in robotics, then they list the degrees and minimum qualifications they are looking for. 

Hope this helps.

it does help, thank you for this. The comp engineering with specialties involving neuroscience seems to be a valid path; I'll look into it. I'm not really into biology at this point, so med school isn't an option, but cybernetics does seem to be something offered in grad school.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users