Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Mind-X archive is no more

kurzweil mind-x forum kurzweilai.net

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Before it was simply called the "Forum," Kurzweilai.net's user bulletin board was called "Mind-X." Around 2012, the site upgraded to a new server and new UI, which necessitated creating a new forum. The users, including me, simply created new user accounts and kept posting. However, the change meant that none of the content we had written in Mind-X carried over. 

There used to be a saved archive of Mind-X that anyone with the URL could access, but I just checked it and see that it is no more: 

https://www.kurzweil...ive-is-now-live

It really is a loss since it contained a huge amount of content dating back to 1998 I believe, much of it very creative and thought-provoking, and which we could still benefit from reading. Former users of Kurzweilai.net and I have spoken here about the severe problems the site had for a time, but it seems we forgot to mention the site's Good Times, when the forum was not dominated by rudeness and hardline politics, and all sorts of zany, creative, and intelligent people with different backgrounds and perspectives felt safe to speak their minds there. 

• Yuli Ban and Erowind like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,749 posts
  • LocationLondon

Could it be saved on WayBack Machine?

• funkervogt likes this

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Could it be saved on WayBack Machine?

GASP!!!!

You're right! At least some of it is still there!

THANK YOU!

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

And...NO. 

It looks like not even 1% of the Mind-X content is accessible through Waybackmachine. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

And...NO. 

It looks like not even 1% of the Mind-X content is accessible through Waybackmachine. 

I was going to say: Wayback Machine only archives things that people and crawlers actually made the attempt to archive. What's more, some websites disallow the use of spiderbots, meaning nothing is saved at any time unless you manually do it yourself. And in more cases, things were hidden or deleted before crawlers could get to them. There are plenty of threads on this forum that are technically lost to history despite still existing just because they've been hidden before any attempt at archiving them was made.

Probably less than 10% of internet history has been saved, and even tech-oriented sites like MindX are too niche to have gotten all of it. The best you can hope for is that someone, somewhere, has downloaded the full archive.

• wjfox likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kurzweil, mind-x, forum, kurzweilai.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users