Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Things I believe are impossible.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
This is a list of all the things that are impossible. I will explain each.

1.) Perpetual motion machine- I think the Laws of Thermodynamics CAN be broken but I just think common sense tells me that perpetual anything (except numbers) is impossible. You can’t just have energy continue to flow without a limit.

2.) Designing the perfect government- It’s impossible. Even Super AI could never create something that satisfies everyone.

3.) Creating a new color- It’s completely impossible. Their are only so many primary colors in existence.

4.) Counting to the final number- Their is no final number. You can count to a googol and their will always be a Googol+1.

5.) Limit to how small something can be- Their is a limit to how big something can be because their can’t be something in the universe bigger than the universe but you can always go smaller. Planck length is a joke. Their are things 1000x times smaller than Planck length. We just don’t have the tools to measure them yet.

6.) Divine knowledge- It is impossible to achieve a state of omniscience. You can’t possibly know everything their is to know since Information is limitless.

7.) Universal attractiveness- No human (or being) is universally attractive. Some can come close but their will always be someone who doesnt find you attractive or vice versa.

8.) Destruction of consciousness -Your mind is an energy force so complex, it is practically impossible to fully eradicate it. Yes I said it. Their is life after death.

9.) Replication of consciousness- We will never invent a robot that is conscious. Consciousness is too complex to ever be replicated.

Faster than light travel. It’s possible. If the universe itself expanded faster than light, then you can create an object that does as well.

Teleportation. Sure. You can break matter down and transfer it. Whether or not teleportation would kill humans is still up to debate but it’s possible.

Resurrection of the dead - Sure. Whether or not it’s really you is still up to debate.

Destroy and create matter- Of course. Anything can be created or destroyed. We just don’t have the tools to do so yet.

Time travel- Of course. Fly fast enough around a star and voila.

Counting every universe- If the multiverse is real their are no infinite numbers. Their is a really really really really really large amount of universes but their is a final number. The only thing infinite are numbers themselves and they are just a concept.

Creating a new universe- It’s possible. We just don’t have the tools yet.

Basically everything depicted in sci fi except conscious robots is possible.
  • Mr.posthuman likes this

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

I think that creating a new color is more than likely possible. You're definitely correct on number 4, no room for argument or opinion there.

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

3.) Creating a new color- It’s completely impossible. Their are only so many primary colors in existence.

What about if we gain the ability to augment our vision to be able to see a wider part of the electromagnetic spectrum.  We could see ultraviolet or infrared like we do other colors.  We may even be able to see radio waves.

5.) Limit to how small something can be- Their is a limit to how big something can be because their can’t be something in the universe bigger than the universe but you can always go smaller. Planck length is a joke. Their are things 1000x times smaller than Planck length. We just don’t have the tools to measure them yet.

So far, quarks are the smallest things we know of.  They are so small we don't even know if they have any mass because we can't measure it.  There is however, evidence that quarks are formed by smaller particles due to them having a similar table as the atomic periodic table.  Its true that you could theoretically go infinitely smaller, but I believe science indicates that there is a limit to particles.  I believe we will find the single smallest particle that comprises energy and is the base of everything in the universe, and there will be nothing smaller.

6.) Divine knowledge- It is impossible to achieve a state of omniscience. You can’t possibly know everything their is to know since Information is limitless.

If there is a smallest particle in the universe, and the universe is finite, there is a finite amount of knowledge because you cannot know more than everything about the universe.  If humans reach the 1000th century, we'll probably have been augmented enough to be "divine"

8.) Destruction of consciousness -Your mind is an energy force so complex, it is practically impossible to fully eradicate it. Yes I said it. Their is life after death.

9.) Replication of consciousness- We will never invent a robot that is conscious. Consciousness is too complex to ever be replicated.

Basically everything depicted in sci fi except conscious robots is possible.

your argument is that consciousness is too complex to replicate and to die?  The human brain may now be the most complex thing in the universe, but that doesn't mean we can't eventually replicate it.  In 2014, a supercomputer simulated 1 second of a brain with 3% of the nerve cells and synapses of a human brain.  When the computing power catches up and we can simulate 100%, and as we discover more and more about the brain, it will become easier and easier to make something that resembles a human brain.  Even if you think this is wrong, when we can simulate worlds atom for atom, we can simply copy ourselves into these worlds, this would be the replication of consciousness.  You could then download that consciousness into a robot and it could navigate the real world. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users