Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The ‘20’s are almost here! What do you hope to see in this decade?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
It’s almost the end of the decade and the once futuresque year 2020 is rapidly approaching. What do you hope to see created, developed or implemented in this new decade?

2020 is a special milestone for me. My New Years and New Decades resolution is to QUIT futurism. This obsession/interest was always present and its earliest iteration came from my fascination with the gadgets in Spy Kids.

In 2011, I really kicked it into gear and it became my main squeeze alongside Star Wars. In 2016, it started distracting me for life. I need to quit it. I have read everything I can about futurism and sci fi. It should be over.

So as we ring in the 20’s, I ask for your final thoughts on what you want

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

1. Anti-aging, anti-aging, anti-aging!

2. Enhanced intelligence gene therapy

3. Cure for cancer

4. Cure for heart disease

Pretty much more life and higher standards of living while alive.

10 year march

10 year march

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

I hope human level Ai will occur in 2029 like ray predicted and quickly bring in utopia for all in the following years.

I mostly doubt this although I am counting down the seconds to jan 1st 2030 regardless (we have less than 318 million seconds to go)

What I must say is good is this coming decade will be the first decade where AI is considered feasible in all previous decades including this one no one relevant really thought Ai had a chance of occurring but in this decade most people think its actually possible.

• Casey likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,972 posts
  • LocationLondon

An end to our current, self-destructive, moronic culture and politics, and the return of intelligent, grown-up debates, with more focus on truth and facts.

• Yuli Ban and Jessica like this

Sephiroth6633

Sephiroth6633

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUK

I hope my personal predictions for 2020 - 2030

1) Gene therapy for deafness (and/or loss hearing)

2) Facial Payment Technology in West (some asia countries already happened)

3) iPhone AR

4) First Human-level AI

5) United Korea

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,912 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

An end to our current, self-destructive, moronic culture and politics, and the return of intelligent, grown-up debates, with more focus on truth and facts.

I, too, dream of marrying an elven princess and taming a unicorn.

• wjfox, SkyHize, FrogCAT and 2 others like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

TheAughat

TheAughat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

I hope human level Ai will occur in 2029 like ray predicted and quickly bring in utopia for all in the following years.

I mostly doubt this although I am counting down the seconds to jan 1st 2030 regardless (we have less than 318 million seconds to go)

What I must say is good is this coming decade will be the first decade where AI is considered feasible in all previous decades including this one no one relevant really thought Ai had a chance of occurring but in this decade most people think its actually possible.

While I do believe that in 10 years time AI will have taken some monumental steps forward, I hold massive concerns on how utopian the things to come will be. Do bear in mind that some multi-billion dollar corporation or the Chinese are the most likely to come up with AGI, because let's be honest here, they're the only ones with the resources and drive to actually accomplish something. And as far as I know, the Chinese government is pouring much more effort into AI than anyone else, and we all know what's happening in China right now.

Under capitalism and the current trend of the growing divide between the rich and the poor, there are fewer ways this can result in utopia, and far more possibilities of dystopian proportions. We can only hope things go well.

• Yuli Ban and waitingforthe2030s like this

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationSlocan Park, BC
I think there’s a chance that popular support for the monarchy in Britain may face a gradual decline, especially after this fiasco with Prince Andrew and because of Brexit, there will be increasing resentment towards people with wealth and power from the common folk.

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • rechargeable batteries which store 10x more energy than current ones
  • well working and very practical AR glasses with wide field of view and telescopic zoom function, smartphones becoming outdated type of device like feature phones now
  • well working, very practical and useful conversational AI interfaces available in many languages
  • high-quality real-time language translation
  • game developers focusing on fun, A.I., player interactivity, physics and destruction instead of graphics alone
  • lighter, more comfortable VR headsets with much better resolution, field of view and refresh rate
  • computers at least a hundred times faster with at least thirty times more memory
  • affordable SSDs having tens of terabytes and speed of tens of gigabytes per second
  • AI helping to create video games and animation
  • implants considerably improving intelligence, memory
  • exoskeletons being used on a daily basis
  • fully autonomous vehicles sold everyday, truckers getting replaced by computers
  • supermarkets without cashiers, no standing in lines, no waiting
  • global push for transhumanism and freedom
  • pills which prevent getting fat
  • something which makes bald heads hairy again and unwanted hair disappear
  • renewable energy continuing to exponentially gain popularity
  • commercially ready nuclear fusion

If all of that comes true by December 2029, I’m going to be happy.

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Also, I hope that the blue line will start rising again, like in the 50s or 60s.

1-8227558-2708663441.png

Cloned

Cloned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationEU

supermarkets without cashiers, no standing in lines, no waiting - yes.

AGI is the wrong concept, so it never happens. 
IQ rates are dropping in many developed countries and the trend will continue.
Fertility rate is in steady decline and the trend will continue.

The next economic crisis will be epic.
We will not deliver people to Mars in 2029.
No Moon base in 2029.

Futuretimeline will survive.  :umnik: 

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

supermarkets without cashiers, no standing in lines, no waiting - yes.

Agree

AGI is the wrong concept, so it never happens. 

I agree that we won't invent an AGI during the 2020s. 

IQ rates are dropping in many developed countries and the trend will continue.

True, but as countries like China and India improve, more of their high-IQ people who would otherwise be wasting their talents working in factories or landfills will have opportunities to work in tech companies and labs, which in turn will help the whole world. This will more than compensate for any IQ decrease in the West (which I'm dubious of anyway). 

Fertility rate is in steady decline and the trend will continue.

Agree, and there are upsides to this. 

The next economic crisis will be epic.

Who can say? Who in 2007 knew that the next recession was going to be so epic? 

We will not deliver people to Mars in 2029.

Agree

No Moon base in 2029.

67% chance this is right. 

Futuretimeline will survive.  

I hope so. 

Cloned

Cloned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationEU

funk, a reduction in technological breakthroughs may be due to the gradual aging of generation X.
Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Jeff Bezos, Larry Ellison, Googler's  and others are loosing steam. Elon Musk still has a decade at best.

Where are the new leaders and breakthrough companies?

All are focused on data manipulation. Some of them are just scammers. Do we have a global vision for the future? Singularity? Nobody talks about it anymore.

No visionaries, no geniuses means a bleak future. China and India hardly able to produce people who dare to change the world. Especially when it comes to communist China.

Somehow, people think that technological progress is automaticThis is far from the truth.

• waitingforthe2030s likes this

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

"What do you hope to see in this decade?"

Only one thing, to be honest. I hope to see the victorious end of the current cold war. I hope to personally withness the triumph of justice. I want to experience the same feeling our grandfathers felt in May 1945. And anyone who harmed us, anyone who was spreading lies and slander, anyone who dared to spit in the face of my people - I want them all lying in the mud, broken and humiliated, bleeding and begging for mercy.

That's my biggest desire. Compared to this all the rest, like faster computers and new shiny gadgets, is irrelevant... and if Russia will lose the cold war and will be destroyed by triumphant "world community" (that is, alas, quite possible) then the matters like global warming will be, too, completely irrelevant in my eyes.

• funkervogt likes this

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Nobody is spitting in the face of Russians.  They do, however, roll their eyes at Oligarch and Kremlin-led hacking, assassinations, invasions, election interference, and so on. 

Russia's recent financial troubles appear to mostly be due to sanctions (Crimea) and fracking.  U.S. fracking posed a threat to OPEC, so in 2014 Saudi Arabia urged other OPEC countries to increase production to smother it (send fracking companies into financial ruin)  At the same time, oil consumption fell; and the result was a dramatic fall in the price of oil.  This had a huge effect on oil-producing countries like Russia and Venezuela.  

Oil may rise again to super-high price levels, which would push the Russian economy way, way up... well, so long as the wealth isn't only held by a very few Russians (Oligarchs) and invested exclusively outside Russia.

• caltrek and waitingforthe2030s like this

CharlieFG

CharlieFG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUSA

It would be great if in 2020 people would think about how the accumulated scientific potential could be used for the constructive development of mankind, not for the creation of weapons. I would like to see a peaceful and prosperous society where technology development serves the people.

• kendall1287 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users