Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

CES 2020

CES consumer technology 2020 5G neurotechnology BCI smarthome drone electronics health

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

CES 2013
CES 2014 (No one created a thread)
CES 2015
CES 2016
CES 2017
CES 2018
CES 2019

7 Unmissable Innovations And The Latest Technology Trends At CES 2020

CES 2020, the world’s largest consumer electronics show kicks off on January 7 and runs through to January 10 in Las Vegas. As usual, the world leaders in the development of home, leisure, sports, and travel technology will use the occasion to show off their latest gadgets, gizmos, and devices.
Amongst keynote announcements from the likes of Amazon, LG, and Toyota, as well as thousands of other exhibitors, the first CES of the 2020s will offer a glimpse into how we will be spending our spare and leisure time over the next decade. Trends which will be at the forefront are intelligent vehicles, health and fitness technology, 5G networks as well as anything involving data and analytics. I have spoken to Jean Foster, SVP of marketing and communications for the CTA – the organizers of CES - to learn more about the exciting things you can expect from CES 2020, which you can see here:

• Mind-reading tech
  • Seeing through your car
  • Advancing autonomous vehicles
  • Next-gen screen technology
  • Seeing further than ever
  • Keeping your smart home safe
  • Smarter health and wellness

Looks like neurotechnology is starting to become the focus of more mainstream publications.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

CES 2020 preview: Prepare for 5G and 8K

Some extremely impactful technology got its start at a past CES conference. For example, 2015’s event saw the unveiling of 4K UHD screens and virtual reality. The show in 2008 debuted OLED TV, while Blu-Ray was announced at CES 2003.
That trend of innovation isn’t going to slow down at CES 2020. Though many presentations and exhibitions are shrouded in secrecy, industry experts believe that 5G mobile technology and 8K displays will highlight this year’s show.
The blossoming revolution surrounding these two technologies will drive innovation across products from laptops to smart gadgets and phones to robots. LG will lead the way with new displays, including the possible announcement of a transparent OLED TV. Meanwhile, Intel will look to build on its CES 2019 success and could announce components like a discrete GPU or new 10mm desktop processors.
Back in the display space, Samsung is expected to announce a QLED TV without a bezel. Sony will likely continue to build anticipation for its 2020 PS5 console with a few tidbits of new information.
Aside from the new products, CES will serve as a sounding board for ideas about the future of tech. Considering the many data privacy issues that have arisen in 2019, that should be a hot topic of discussion.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

What to expect from the TVs of CES 2020: Bigger, brighter and 8K-er

Ground zero for new TVs is CES 2020 this January in Las Vegas. It has scads of gadgets from PCs to phones to smart doorbells to robots, but TVs always steal the show. No matter how big and gaudy those new screens look, however, the technology behind them will probably be pretty familiar to today's TV shoppers. Televisions are a mature technology, and it's usually a bad idea to wait for something new to come along.
That won't stop TV makers from trying to overwhelm you with newfangled buzzwords in their eternal attempt to sell you a new one anyway. Prepare for more 4K8KHDMI 2.1HDR120HzOLEDQLEDULED and ZLED than you can handle (I made the last one up, but it's probably coming soon, too). Don't expect to see any talk of pricing, however, and as for real-world performance -- that'll have to wait for the reviews
As usual, I'll be there ingesting the hype and spitting it out to you with a grain or two of realism, and lots of pretty pictures. Here's a sneak peek leavened with insights from Stephen Baker, vice president of Industry Analysis at NPD Group, a market research firm.

TF5CerC.jpg
I remember the first time I heard about 8K TVs. I believe it was way back in 2014, right around the time I had my futurist "break" and got obsessed about all this. It may have been after that, in 2015 though. Back then, even 4K was still crazy expensive and just now being rolled out. Crazy to think I can get a 4K TV nowadays for under $250 when I distinctly remember them going for close to $1,000 around that time. 8K TVs, however, are still just a little too crazy. They're where 4K was in 2009. What's more, I doubt we'll see 16K by 2029. I didn't believe people who said we didn't want or need 8K, but I am of the mindset that 16K is indeed overkill. Some other paradigm will take the place of higher resolutions some time next decade. 

But 8KTV might be a boon for holographic displays.

Edit:

It may have been after that, in 2015 though.

Yep. Unless there was an older thread.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

Hyundai’s flying car program will take off at CES 2020 with concept vehicle

Hyundai recently established its own flying taxi division, becoming the latest in a long line of companies to take a shot at this sci-fi technology. While it’s unclear when the first Hyundai flying taxi will go into production, the company will unveil a concept version at CES 2020.
Hyundai hasn’t revealed many details of the flying taxi, which it refers to as a “personal air vehicle.” The vehicle will be shown alongside an autonomous concept car Hyundai calls a “purpose built vehicle.” This concept vehicle will have a customizable design, giving it a variety of possible uses, Hyundai claims. Both vehicles are designed to operate out of a transportation “hub” that could be built in city centers, Hyundai claims.
Flying taxis will free up space on city streets and “give back quality time to city commuters,” according to Hyundai. The general consensus among the numerous companies developing flying cars is that they will be used in airborne ridesharing services, providing a more efficient way to get around cities. Uber, for example, plans to expand from terrestrial ridesharing to flying taxis, with pilot programs planned in Los Angeles and Dallas.

nMRAhIx.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

Picnic’s pizza-making robot will serve food to CES 2020 attendees

In early January, Las Vegas will host the international electronics exhibition CES 2020, in which many new devices and inventions will be shown. The more attention-grabbing thing in this event will be to see a machine making pizzas there instead of a person.
Picnic, a Seattle-based innovator of food production technology and Robotics-as-a-Service (RaaS) solutions, announced that its automated food assembly system to serve attendees of the world’s largest technology event. The company has entered into a partnership with the Las Vegas Convention Center for this.
Picnic’s automated pizza assembly robot interacts with technologies of artificial intelligence, cloud computing, and automation. It is capable of producing up to 300 pizzas with a diameter of 30.5 cm per hour.

wOiIWiT.jpg
Picnic's automated pizza assembly robot. Credit: Picnic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

Samsung will unveil an artificial human at CES

Samsung, the same company that spent 2019 tripping over itself repeatedly in its attempts to produce a decent foldable phone that didn’t crap out after a couple days’ usage, is teasing a major unveiling it’s planning for CES in just a few days. Get ready, folks, for Samsung’s introduction next week of some kind of “artificial human” called NEON that the company insists is much more than a step up from Samsung’s virtual assistant Bixby.
The website for this mysterious project is neon.life, which doesn’t really reveal much other than — okay, perhaps “life” in the address signifies… something. Oh, but the site does include a helpful countdown clock which confirms the big reveal will take place at 3 AM Eastern Time on January 7.

waitingforthe2030s

waitingforthe2030s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationOrion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy.

Samsung, the same company that spent 2019 tripping over itself repeatedly in its attempts to produce a decent foldable phone that didn’t crap out after a couple days’ usage, is teasing a major unveiling it’s planning for CES in just a few days. Get ready, folks, for Samsung’s introduction next week of some kind of “artificial human” called NEON that the company insists is much more than a step up from Samsung’s virtual assistant Bixby.
The website for this mysterious project is neon.life, which doesn’t really reveal much other than — okay, perhaps “life” in the address signifies… something. Oh, but the site does include a helpful countdown clock which confirms the big reveal will take place at 3 AM Eastern Time on January 7.

Seems like a very advanced chatbot/assistant to me. Maybe it can be like Google's Duplex? (An assistant that can schedule appointments, books reservations, etc.)

I'm a radical demo-publiacrat.

This is Scatman's world, and we're living in it.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

Exclusive: Samsung's NEON Revealed - Leaked Trailer Looks Perfectly Human!

Wowza!

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

1f3.jpg

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

Seems like a very advanced chatbot/assistant to me. Maybe it can be like Google's Duplex? (An assistant that can schedule appointments, books reservations, etc.)

It might be a better than average chatbot, but it seems the primary thing they were going for was extremely advanced human image synthesis. Like This Person Does Not Exist, but an order of magnitude better and capable of generating entire bodies in realistic motion.

We'll find out tomorrow if this is actually the case, but there's no reason why it couldn't be.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

b7bbwy73e9941.jpg

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Yuli ban what is the most impressive tech at ces this year within your opinion.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

It hasn't started formally yet so I don't know

Autonomous cooking system takes the reins in the kitchen

At the appropriate times, the built-in scale, 5,200-rpm motor and heating unit that reaches 130° C (265° F) take care of any chopping, mixing, blending, kneading, weighing, boiling, emulsifying, steaming, grinding, grating and whisking – not to mention cooking. The unit will even clean itself – just add dishwashing liquid and water to the bowl and switch on mixing mode – although the bowl is also dishwasher safe if mixing up some dishwashing liquid doesn't get the job done.
Julia is currently on display at CES but won't be available until Q3 2020, when it will retail "under US$1,000."

eLtPLIF.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

Maybe this?

Toyota Is Building an Entire City Full of Autonomous Cars and Robots

Built on the site of an old Toyota plant at the base of Mt. Fuji, Woven City will be 175 acres of futuristic buildings and infrastructure designed to explore how humans and robots can thrive together. It’s all just concepts and renderings so far, with construction slated to start in 2021. And if Toyota can make this happen, it could be incredible.

“On this 175-acre site in Higashi-Fuji, Japan, we have decided to build a prototype town of the future, where people live, work, play, and participate in a living laboratory. Imagine a fully-controlled site that would allow researchers, engineers, and scientists the opportunity to freely test technology such as autonomy, mobility-as-a-service, robotics, smart home connected technology, AI, and more, in a real world environment. 
This will be a truly unique opportunity to create an entire community or city from the ground up. And allow us to build an infrastructure of the future that is connected and sustainable. Powered by Toyota’s hydrogen fuel cell technologies, it will be a chance to collaborate with other business partners and to invite all interested scientists and researchers from around the world.”
-Akio Toyoda

When Woven City is complete, if you want to do research on urban autonomy or long-term human robot interactions, then you can just move into the city for a while and work from there. With a population made up of both long-term residents and guest researchers, it will be a unique chance, Toyota says, to test and develop new technologies in a real-world environment. Or at least, an environment that’s as real as a fantasy city can be.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

Or maybe this?

Hyundai will make flying cars for Uber’s air taxi service

Last month, Hyundai teased a “flying car” concept that it was bringing to the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. The full-scale prototype is now on display at CES this week, but today, the South Korean automaker upped the ante. Not only will Hyundai mass produce these electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft, but it will also deploy them for Uber’s promised air taxi network.
You’ll recall that Uber announced its aerial ambitions back in 2016 with a white paper that outlined a future “Uber Elevate” project. The ride-hailing company has said it wants to perform its own test flights in 2020, and plans to launch some version of an air taxi service in 2023, starting in Dallas, Texas, and Los Angeles, California. Uber also recently announced that it will offer helicopter rides in New York from lower Manhattan to John F. Kennedy International Airport.
Now Hyundai is along for the ride (flight?)

Infographic_Concept_FF.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

Or how about this?

NextMind announces $399 Dev Kit for first real-time ‘brain-sensing’ BCI wearable, wins two CES Innovation Awards

NextMind, a fast-growing neurotechnology startup specializing in noninvasive neural interfaces, today announced it is offering a $399 Dev Kit for its unique wearable that allows users to control anything in their digital world by using just their thoughts. The NextMind device, which is the world’s first noninvasive, hands-free brain-computer interface for real-time interaction, also won two CES Innovation Awards today —Best of Innovation in Augmented and Virtual Reality and Honoree in Wearable Technologies. NextMind is providing demonstrations in Booth No. 534 at CES Unveiled Las Vegas tonight from 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Mandalay Bay and also at CES this week at LVCC, South Hall 1, Booth No. 21839.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

Pizza-making robot arrives at CES to feed hungry attendees, thanks to Seattle startup

Tech world, meet pizza robot.
Seattle startup Picnic and its pizza-making machine just arrived at CES, the big consumer tech show that attracts nearly 200,000 people from across the globe.
Not only is Picnic able to show off its technology to thousands of geeks this week, but the company is also serving up actual pizza made by its automated food preparation device.

20200106_143904-630x354.jpg
Seattle startup Picnic and its pizza-making robot in action in Las Vegas. The company will make pizzas for attendees throughout the week. (GeekWire Photos / Taylor Soper)

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

Sony’s Electric Car Is The Best Surprise Of CES

To answer your question: no, you won’t be able to buy the Sony car. Not any time soon, at least. The company has no plans to mass-produce the Vision-S, the car it surprise-announced at the end of its press conference at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show, nor does it plan to do a limited run.

Instead, the Sony Vision-S really exists somewhere between a concept and a prototype. Like a concept, it’s meant to showcase the ideas Sony has for the world of cars. But like a prototype, the car actually works.

There’s actually a long list of those ideas on display in the Vision-S. One of the big focal points is, unsurprisingly, the entertainment experience and user interface. That starts with a set of rectangular displays on the dashboard that stretch from pillar to pillar.

Both the middle display and the one in front of the passenger seat are touchscreens. This is where the driver and passenger can access all of the car’s media controls. That included things like — shocker! — Sony-owned movies or Sony-licensed music, but also a tab for games (which wasn’t working) and another for vehicle settings.

sony_vision_s_9943.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

1f3.jpg

Goddammit.

The new Gatebox at CES 2020

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 21,674 posts

Samsung Bot Chef first look at CES 2020

Back in 2015, I had a dream: some robot arms that would make some fried rice and shrimp potstickers. Heavenly! And it seems we're on the cusp of this.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CES, consumer technology, 2020, 5G, neurotechnology, BCI, smarthome, drone, electronics, health

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users