Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is their anything left that fictional science can squeeze out?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I’ve been wondering about science and scientific progression in the Star Wars universe. Even though people have pointed out that Star Wars is science fantasy and doesn’t care about science- that really isn’t true. Scientists are mentioned all the time in Star Wars. The society runs on science just like ours does. The stories were are shown are those of a religious order so science obviously takes a backseat but even the Jedi use technology. Lightsabers aren’t made out of wood!

I just wonder what could be the next thing in science that scientists in Star Wars can pursue. They had FTL for millennia. You would logically think that whatever sci fi stuff you isn’t exist is fair game like teleportation and time travel BUT both those two things are something all people (sentient beings) have wanted since the beginning of time so the fact that they don’t exist must mean they tried and those things are impossible.

Star Wars does have nanotech. It’s mentioned in several mediums so you would think that the logical next step would be pico and femtotechnology but the whole midichlorian thing makes me think it’s impossible. I also don’t really believe you can go smaller in the real world either.

Matter replication and simulated reality seem to be good bets and I bet both exist BUT I bet the former exists and they won’t let it hit market because it would destabilize the economy and lead to a post-scarcity society like Star Trek. The latter also probably exists but probably isn’t healthy; may only exist for rich people on rich planets or just isn’t spoken about.

That being said: What could be worked on by scientists in Star Wars?

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,414 posts

What could be worked on by scientists in Star Wars?
  • A scientific basis for the force.
  • I don't remember any virtual reality in Star Wars.  3D electronic maps and communications, yes, but not virtual reality. Certainly not of the realism and quality found in Star Trek - The Next Generation. I suppose Maximum7 already covered that in mentioning "simulated reality."  
  • Except for cloning, Star Wars did not seem to have much in the way of bioengineering.
  • Terraforming.  I don't recall that being discussed in Star Wars, although I suppose one could argue that it was implied.
  • Speaking of implied but not discussed - cosmology. Unless the creation of the universe was attributed to the force - an attribution that I do not recall.
  • Downloading of brains (or minds) into computers.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Hyndal_Halcyon

Hyndal_Halcyon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Let me try.

Midichlorians are synthetic nanomachines made of exotic metamolecules that function as a superintelligent network of quantum computers, allowing them to transmit information regardless of locality in both space and time. This can explain how force-users can seemingly exhibit telepathic abilities (quantum information teleportation). The force can calculates its own "balance", as well as "write" destinies of certain people with certain mindsets and particular genes to maintain that balance (superadvanced chaos theory). The strongest force-users can also upload their entire control structures (a.k.a. their consciousness) into this network, making them "one with the force" (mind-uploading).

They are probably equipped with electromagnetic emitters which when coupled with the non-locality of its available resources, could explain their telekinetic powers. As such, I can't properly exaggerate how underutilized they are. The force can be used to teleport information, matter, and energy to and from anywhere, anytime, and anyone - and they use it to lift rocks, if not for weirdly amusing swordfights. The way the jedi uses the force the force uses the jedi to carry out the balance is akin to homeostasis. Maybe it is the force's way to micromanagement itself.

The nonlocality of the midichlorians' metabolic processes can also imply that the force is an ever-existing, ever-evolving entity. With its time-traveling thoughts, it might as well created the universe, inserting itself between the laws of thermodynamics such that the force becomes an innate property of the universe it created (cosmology).

Who knows, maybe somehow, the whole saga was written so that somewhere in a far away galaxy, the prototypes for the midichlorians will be developed, starting from the wild imagination of some guy in the internet. Or maybe, the midichlorians are a predecessor of some more advanced concept that I haven't even written yet just because.

Is this scientific enough?

As you can see, I'm a huge nerd who'd rather write about how we can become a Type V civilization instead of study for my final exams (gotta fix that).

But to put an end to this topic, might I say that the one and only greatest future achievement of humankind is when it finally becomes posthumankind.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,414 posts

Is this scientific enough?

Totally, mythological.

I suppose attempts to "prove" the accuracy of such speculations might proceed utilizing scientific methods.  So, "scientists" might indeed work on the enumerated topics and ideas. So, "scientists" in the Star Wars universe might "work" on these issues.

In our own universe, much remains to be learned about dark matter, dark energy, synchronicity, how sub-atomic particles behave, etc.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

That being said: What could be worked on by scientists in Star Wars?

Build a new fighter plane that has a backwards-facing gun that is aimed very accurately by a computer. If any other fighter plane "gets on your tail," it dies quickly. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users