Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Avenue for the Mainstream to get exposed/affiliated to Biohacker/Self-Technologically Enhancing Communities

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

SeedNotYetSprouted

SeedNotYetSprouted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

It's about time that we get this show on the road. For too long , people have been philosophizing over the fiction itself without actually practicing what the fiction preaches. That's essentially what r/Cyberpunk is: all talk, no action. I recently came into contact with this fellow who wanted to make something, a sort of communications terminal for those, in the know already and unaware members of the public, who are actually attempting to actualize the techno-future in less abstract, more concrete,  more personal ways.

He has started out with a sub-reddit: https://www.reddit.c...unkLifeStyleHQ/                     (Hey Yuli Ban, how about a little plug?)

Do you think that what he's doing is the right approach? How do you think that one should go about enlarging the "CyberPunkLifeStyle" as he calls it from a niche activity to a "lifestyle that millions of people are actively living."

SeedNotYetSprouted

SeedNotYetSprouted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Let's try this thread again.  Perhaps, that person and his particular group aren't worthy figureheads( I haven't seen any new posts since the year started), but the mission statement and the questions raised are still valid.

SeedNotYetSprouted

SeedNotYetSprouted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

I'm not very prolific, so I'll start off slow and short.

Pop Culture , while providing some inspiration to those with the predisposition to alter, has mostly done a huge disservice to the transhumanist cause. It's colored the idea of augmentation and enhancement through technological, genetic and surgical  means as some abominable affront to morality.  The Borg are evil. Captain Hook is a bad man. The 'punk' in Cyberpunk causes the entire genre to be tainted by connotations of dystopia.

The mass perception of voluntary cyborgs and those who seek to enhance themselves through prostheses and machine limbs or genetic manipulation is that of Akira or Frankenstein's Monster.

We need the mass perception of augmentation to switch from 'The Borg' to  Alita: Battle Angel.  Alita is portrayed as a majestic being, not an abomination. Her arms, her legs, and the rest of metallic body are beautiful and powerful and strong.

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

I too see that Pop-cultural depiction of technological augmentation is often negative. But as people will see that it brings enhancement and not impairment, they will understand, at least most of them. Those who oppose won't be able to do much. Who would win: Alita or some random guy with no augmentation whatsoever?

The future is transhumanism, I have no doubts about it. At first, we need to bring handicapped people to the normal healthy human level. So to not create a situation where some humans are superhuman and other are disabled with no money to change their fate.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Exactly. In fact, you want to know how I know transhumanism will ultimately win out?

Because it's already happening, and there's no better way to show this off than by getting the account of someone who wasn't there to be gradually introduced to all these changes.

Otis Johnson entered prison at the age of 25. When he was released 44 years later, at the age of 69, the world outside was quite different from the one he knew before.

When he noticed that pretty much every person he saw was wearing "wires in their ears," it was an incredibly confusing and unusual sight.

He also wondered how everyone managed to get around without looking up from their devices.

Earlier this decade

HOLY FUCK, it's the 2020s

Early last decade, around 2013-2015 or so, I used to daydream about walking around my college campus with a brain-computer interface, augmented reality glasses, and wireless earbuds. I remember getting a smartphone armband just for the pure novelty of "wearing" technology. However, wireless earbuds were still pretty far from becoming the norm, while BCIs were still too weak (I recall a post I made about a $100,000 EEG headset in the shape of a Gray alien head, presumably powerful enough to compete with an invasive BCI— obviously things have changed in terms of quality) and AR headsets were having a bit of a hype wave at the time but nothing came of them (MetaPro SpaceGlasses were my favorite while Google Glass seemed so disappointing). 

It seems these things are starting to be realized. It was around 2018 or so that I came to a sudden realization that wireless earbuds were more common than I thought they'd be. Just the idea of these barely noticeable wireless trinkets that plug into your ears and stream any audio you link them up to ought to set off "early transhumanist tech" flags in people's minds.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users